Opinions required

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

Opinions required Unread post

I've recently discovered something, and I want some opinions on how to proceed.

In the last patch, I made it so that the terrain levellers could be turned off in the special conditions of the scenario editor.

I'm not sure if I am comfortable with that choice, and I am thinking that I would rather have the Rail Yard Structures be the choice for toggling on or off, and leave the terrain levellers always on. It's just a matter of changing a 3 to a 4 in the bca file and fixing the language file messages.

The Rail Yard structures were first incorporated when the 1.04 exe file was used. Now that the 1.06 exe is the base for TM, drop shipping is now possible, so while the rail yard structures still have a place for managing cargo, I am thinking that it would be a good idea to be able to turn them off in certain scenarios if someone chooses.

This wouldn't apply to the taverns, restaurants, hotels, RR office; just the sheds, yards, and storage facilities.

I'm mostly likely going to make this change for the final version (about 2 weeks from now), but wanted hear opinions.
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Opinions required Unread post

I haven't been able to play much TM lately, but generally when I play I don't usually use the levelers or the rail structures. After El Moichi beta tested my scenario I learned that he used a rail structure to ensure that all of the limited glass from a port stayed in a city rather than was taken to other cities by tycoonians. Using a strategy like this could potentially make a scenario easier if the scenario writer actually intended the player to have to fight with the tycoonians for the cargo. Consequently I'd say an option to turn off the Rail Yard Structures isn't a bad idea.
edbangor
Dispatcher

I guess both is out of the question? ^**lylgh

I've not used either, that much in play testing my own maps - or blackhawks - but as BH stated, the rail structures would probably have the biggest impact on game play, so if I would have to pick one it would be to disable those.
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Frank
Hobo

So far I only started two TM-Maps.

I agree that the Rail Yard Structures have a big impact on game play.

But I like them and I think that they should always be available. They are a big improvement. !*th_up*!

My !#2bits#! ,
Frank
El Moichi
Watchman

nedfumpkin wrote:(...) and I am thinking that I would rather have the Rail Yard Structures be the choice for toggling on or off, and leave the terrain levellers always on.
For a scenario developer it´s always better to have a choice rather than no choice.

And those players who love to deal with the RailYardStructures can now discern good and evil scenario developers... :twisted:
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Terrain levellers should stay always buildable, Railyard structures at the discretion of the scenario author. !#2bits#!
nedfumpkin
CEO

And so I made the change. Thanks for the opinions.

The changes will be reflected when I upload the fianl release. All in all, I think it will work out better since the RY structures now show their cargo....which they didn't before.

I'm also going to have to make a change to the station icons, but won't get to that until the weekend.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Something new I just found....the cargo display works well with 6 cargo, at 7 you get super imposing, so I am going to have to move some commodities to other rail yard structures so they display correctly. Not a biggie.
Frank
Hobo

The railroad office replaces the post office. Should a scenario designer be able even to turn off the railroad office? :-(
nedfumpkin
CEO

There is an option to turn off the hotels, RR office, and taverns/restaurants separate from the toggle for RY structures....that's defaulted in RT3.