Trainmaster on a Mac

General discussion about TrainMaster
snowguy716

Trainmaster on a Mac Unread post

I went ahead and tried Trainmaster on my computer even though it is meant for PCs.

It seems to be hit and miss. The pre-beta has worked great except sometimes it will crash when looking for a "rubberfarm-something.wav" file. Otherwise I've been able to play just fine.

The Mac version of RRT3 out of the box is 1.04.

Is this perhaps a general bug or one specific to Macs due to not being able to run the exe files?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Trainmaster on a Mac Unread post

It's a bug with the Rt3.exe file that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. It should be fixed soon, and I will be including it in the patch I am putting together. Slowly things are getting done.

It's great to hear you are able to play on a Mac.
snowguy716

Yeah, it seems to run just fine otherwise!

I must say I really appreciate all the work you guys have put into this. It adds so much to an already great game. Keep up the good work!
gruk
Cat

Sooo...

how do you get it to almost work on mac?

I’m still trying to fiddle between installing patches and trainmaster on windows, and copying over files to the mac version to see what works. But, uhm, a few things will work, but, me wanna trainmaster for real!

Guess I could just accept trainmaster as one of my windows activities, but, that means less time playing with trains, more time cleaning up and fixing stuff in windows, since that seems to be my main activity there.

According to the two three threads about this, there should be two three mac-people that have already gone through the ordeal of trying it out. There doesn’t seem to be any final conclusions though..

So I would be grateful for more info on what possibilities there are! Did I just miss something?? (But mac can't do anything with the exe file...?)

ps. now that I have seen it on windows, I am in awe, and so fascinated by this community driven project!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Here's some information in this thread...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2579

Not sure if Suj got the RR structures working or not, but there may be some Mac help there.
gruk
Cat

Yes, so the conclusion is, patches and trainmaster runs on a mac, but only with windows, with the help of parallels/boot camp/vm.

I tried something called Crossover, where you can execute and install exe-programs, without the need to install windows. (instead it creates a "bottle", a little mini-windows-friendly-environment, I guess.) Won't work for every program, but it seems to work fine with rrt3, patches and trainmaster.

So if you don't have the need for a full windows version on your mac, but want to expand your rrt3, Crossover seems to be the alternative.. ;)
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm glad to hear you got it working. When I next do an update to the reamde, I'll make mention of it.

Happy Railroading.
alpha3
Cat

Has anyone got TM to work on mac? I've tried everything with Mac RRT3 1.04 but havent got it to fully work, although it will somethimes load a map. I've gone back to Wineskin and it does work at 70-90 fps with all graphics on highest setting, but I would like to use mac version if possible..(the only thing this proves is Wine is faster than windoze)

Trainmaster is really great keep up the good work!!!!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Macs. I am assuming that if you can get RT3 1.05 or 1.06 to work on a Mac then TM should work too.
alpha3
Cat

Mac version is 1.04 i have been able to copy all the trainmaster data files. the only problem is the executable file. I have been runing wine skin (which packages with wine) and all is running great
Macbook 7.1 intel core2 duo 4GB ram Wine 1.2.2 in Wineskin 2.0