RRT 3 - Trainmaster

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

RRT 3 - Trainmaster Unread post

I've decided to start a separate thread to answer questions and provide updates on progress etc. If you're just now learning about it, I will offer a brief explanation of what this is all about.

The name comes from the job title of Trainmaster because this focuses more on the supply chain than the tycooning aspects off RRT3.

It started out by trying to make 1.06 stuff compatible with 1.05 for people who can't play 1.06. Since this was not possible, it evolved into becoming what will be a completely new version of RRT3. Components are being drawn from all over this website in a sort of "best of the best" compilation with a lot of additions.

At the same time, this version is serving to try out some concepts relating to supply chain that are being considered for the Rail Mogul project.

In order to play Trainmaster, you will have to have a completely fresh install of RRT3, without any modifications except CTC and 1.05. The all of the cargo, locomotives rolling stock, and building configuration files will be replaced. New pk4 files will be added as modules.

Trainmaster will not be compatible with either 1.05 or 1.06. It is not a modification of either of those, but instead a completely new version to go side by side with the others. Old maps can be used to create new maps, but they can't properly be played.

Trainmaster could be considered the "Expert" version since the idea was to make a much more challenging game for the scenario writer and the player. The biggest difference is that agricultural products are produced by communities rather than individual farms. Ideally these should be situated near towns to represent the community rather than be spawned indiscriminately. An agricultural community will produce a variety of crops and have a variety of consumption demands. Initial production control should be determined by the writer, then have the player affect that production through conditions or just by inputs.

The supply chain is much more complex than in other RRT3 setups. 1.06 added 10 commodities, however, in this version a number were replaced as well as a number were added. There are 52. The biggest distinction is that food and gold were added as commodities. Gold is both an input and a currency since banks are added.

Food represents all processed food, and can be produced in a number of different ways at different times. For example, early on you can combine lumber, produce, and alcohol (vinegar) to create pickles. Flour, sugar, and logs (for fuel) will make bread, etc.

Textiles have changed from being clothing per se, and are now representative of all textile products. This includes clothing, cloth, rope, and leather. Same for rubber - all rubber products, which is made from gum. Tires are gone.

Some things have been added as a self-made burden on society. Paper is one of those things. Not only is it necessary for certain types of packaging, but it is also a business burden so there is a lot of demand for it in the game.

Waste is another thing that has always been around, and at various times it is handled differently. Also, industries that use a lot of a certain type of fuel require it to make their product. Machinery is also factored in, since there is wear and tear.

Drop shipping at a loss is not going to be an option because the idea is that storage isn't free. Instead, railroad structures are being added. WP&P's stockyard is the basis for this, and there will be different structures to handle different things. Also, Coru's additions are being incorporated as well.

New locomotives and rolling stock are mostly available here, and they are being included, as are WP&P's express cars, and other rolling stock. It is my goal to create these in modules and also offer the option of Canadian express cars in such a way that the player can swap easily depending on the scenario. If someone wanted to make European or other skins, then I could also add those as well.

Other changes are purely cosmetic such as a new ledger cover and new load screens, etc.

I'd say that this is 75% done and I am hoping to have an alpha version released by the end of December. I make no guarantees since life prevails at times.

One thing I'd like to make clear is that this is a community project. A lot of the stuff is incorporating user created content that is available here, as well as stuff taken from 1.06. Both WP&P and Coruscate have contributed considerably to this, and I consider my role more of an organizer of things. I'm just packaging things in a different way.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: RRT 3 - Trainmaster Unread post

I've stickyed this for you.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

See...I knew there was a purpose for including gum as a new cargo. :) Thanks. I'll get back to posting frequent progress updates as I get working on it again. Right now I am trying to sort things out and create some of the modules.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

As always, I'm ready and able for beta testing as soon as you're in a position to need it!
WPandP
Engineer

NedF,

My recent success at generating cuts of cars rather than single cars leads to another way in which a cosmetic game mod can actually make for a more "expert level" game. Basically, while the game engine still thinks it is loading up 1 of 8 cars maximum in train length, the graphic representation is of a cut of 2 or 3 cars. This will mean trains of up to 16 or even 24 cars in length... and, I am proposing, in weight. The delivery payoff for a load is still the same, so where before you might have delivered one carload (40 tons) of coal for $25, with this mod you'd have to deliver two carloads (80 tons) for the same $25. This will end up putting a premium on heavier engines, and make their extra reserves of power meaningful, as well as encourage more careful route surveying.

The actual weights of cars is something that we can tinker with all day long in the .CAR and .CGO files, regardless of how many icons show in the train list or get pulled around the game world. But I'm proposing that just about all freight, except perhaps for unique loads like nuclear missiles or other kinds of things that don't normally travel in bulk, come as sets of 2 or more cars, while express loads remain single cars; this will keep passenger engines valuable as sprinters. Widening the gap between passenger and freight duties, too, will force players to really consider their engine assignments, rather than just using the one best engine for everything.

Of course, with heavier trains, one can still use lighter engines (like the game's default ones) for shorter trains... just keep it down to 4 cars in the route scheduler, and you'll still end up with an 8-car train, for instance. But I am looking forward to a condition that actually requires the use of doubled GP-7's, double-headed GP-35's, and my own Multiple-Unit SD40's, not to mention the heavy N&W steam I've developed.

However, I've only just begun on this endeavor, and have run into minor quibbles I'm still trying to resolve, in terms of the best approach to making the cuts of cars look and act right. Actually implementing this, across the board, will take a lot of effort- at least graphically. I suppose we could go ahead and just modify car weights as a first step, regardless, to see how well it works.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've got it in such a way that I can sort of alpha test it. I have a basic scenario for 1847 that I have played a bit and things seem to work really well. I still have a lot of industry tweeking to do.

I'd give it all to anyone who wants to try it out, but as it is theres about 100 meg of files which is why I am making modules. There's also a lot to do so so much will change that it's a bit early to release anything.

Depending on a number of things, I may be able to release some modules next weekend but I make no promises.

And thanks to anyone who is interesting in trying this out. Initially it will be for people who are interested in developing scenarios since there won't be any maps to begin with except the one I have for testing now.

WP&P...I really like the way you are doing the cars, and it looks totally cool. By making modules, especially with the rolling stock, we can start out with what we've got and then replace the modules at a later date with the new stuff.

This can also allow the player to choose their preference.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am still moving towards making the dining care represent 1st Class rather than a dining car per se.
coruscate
Dispatcher

WP&P, sounds interesting and challenging!!

Ned, I can make a map level out of that pretty little map I have no story and no names for...

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad/mappreview.jpg
nedfumpkin
CEO

Yes, you can use old maps to create new scenarios, that's not a problem, but since the cargo and industry are all different, it won't be possible to play old maps without modifying them.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Progress update:

Today I managed to create the module for the locomotives using three pk4 files. I've got one each for steam, electric, and diesel. All the tga files have been converted to dds files so the total file size is only 35mb (down from 58)

Pretty much all of the locomotives that are on this site have been included so that the total is 99. When I get a chance I will figure out the lco and car files for them and create a zip file for all of it so that anyone can load the most up to date loco pack in one go. Or, they can select steam, diesels or electrics.

Other modules are going to be the cargo icons, rail yard buildings, the municipal buildings, express cars, rolling stock, industry, agricultural communities, etc.
coruscate
Dispatcher

So these modules are going to be moved in pk4 files I take it?
WPandP
Engineer

NedF-

Good going, filling out the gaps in my yard structures! I do still hope to come back to this, and reserve the right to develop the Yard structures that I envision. Via some 3DP editing, I can see yards that actually look like yards... but it will be a long while before I have time to explore this. So, is it okay to consider this version a proxy for later? That's how I am thinking of my current Yards, though I don't feel any real urgency to upgrade them. Maybe when the bottom falls out of this economy and I end up taking Unemployment checks, I can spend a good amount of time developing all these ideas swimming around in my head!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

For the most part yes. The cargo, building, and car files (cty, bca, bty, lco, car, etc) will be in a zip file all together, and they will be unzipped to their respective directories.

The engines are in three PK4 files and are named: Trainmaster_Locos_Diesel.pk4, Trainmaster_Locos_Electric.pk4, Trainmaster_Locos_Steam.pk4

The files, and the others, go in the Poptop Extra Content folder.

Next I will be making the Trainmaster_Express_US.pk4 file. This too will go in the Poptop Extra Content folder. It will have WP&P's passenger, mail, and troop coaches in one file.

When I get around to it, I am going to make a Trainmaster_Express_CDA.pk4 file and this will have the same cars as the US, but it will have Canadian road names. If someone wanted to make a UK version to go with the modern British electrics, then they could.

These alternate files can be put into the Extra User Content folder (one only), and this will allow for their use. It seems to me that the game first looks in its home directory, then the Poptop directory then the User directory, and takes the last it finds. This way just moving the Express module from the extra user folder would revert back to the default in the Poptop directory.

The same will be done for the other rolling stock so that different skins can be used in different modules. The default will always be in the Poptop folder, and the player can just swap in what they want. It will also make making changes to the default files easier by breaking it down. This way less needs to be downloaded for simple changes.

At the same time, this would make it possible for some parts to be made available to other versions such as 1.05 and 1.06. For example, the rail yard structures will be in a pk4 file all together, and this way with making bca and bty files to go with the other versions, people could install just that module and have them available if they want.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Storage Depot Unread post

Today I managed to get the default express car module created, and I also made a storage depot that is a load attractor. I made a generic version that I sent to Hawk, it attracts a small amount goods, alcohol, toys, clothing, and furniture. It can be used for drop-shipping these items to areas that have no demand for them.

It costs 65k to build, and it loses money...storage isn't free. In Trainmaster the cargo list is different.

If it looks like a cotton farm without the cotton, then you are right, although I made it all white clapboard

Edit: Afterthought...I am open to suggestions on different cargo lists for this structure, keeping in mind that it is a companion to the stockyard, hopper yard, etc. This is more of a warehouse.
Attachments
storagedepot.jpg
nedfumpkin
CEO

Progress update...

I'm finished with all the Rail Yard Structures (10), and the station buildings (4). They are all in their own pk4 file....

Storage Depot $65K 1830->

--- Food, Goods, Alcohol, Furniture, Glass, Textiles, Electronics

Depot $25k 1860->

--- Steel, Rubber, Plastic

Ice Platform $30k 1830-1910

--- Food, Meat, Milk, Produce,
- and it demands 1 load of pulpwood per year for insulation.

Cold Storage $100k 1890->

--- Meat, Milk, Produce, Food, Medicine

Hopper Yard $65K 1830->

--- Coal, Bauxite, Iron, Uranium, Pulpwood, Sand, Fertilizer

Liquid Storage $65K 1860->

--- Oil, Diesel, Chemicals, Gum
- and it demands 1/2 load of pulpwood for spills.

Railroad Office $50K 1830->

--- Mail and Gold at .3 = .5, stores Isotopes in transit.
- and it demands 1/2 load of paper for business purposes.

Shed $30k 1830->

--- Wool, Cotton, Hemp, Hides, Machinery, Lumber, Explosives.

Silo $50k 1830->

--- Grain, Corn, Rice, Sugar, Flour.

Stock Yard $100K 1830->

--- Livestock, also produces fertilizer,
- and demands corn to feed the livestock.

-----Station Buildings----

Restaurant:

---Demands food and glass, and when supplied generates passengers, also derives revenue from station travellers.

Hotel:

---Demands food and textiles, and when supplied generates passengers, also derives revenue from station travellers.

Tavern:

---Demands alcohol and glass, and when supplied generates passengers, also derives revenue from station travellers. Gambling from 1800-1910 generates revenue from gold exchange at 0.3->0.4

Post Office:

---Exchanges gold at 0.1 -> 0.3, paper to mail at 0.2 -> 0.2, also makes mail stay longer at stations.

Here's the 2D images that go in the little window, yellow cards are for station buildings, pink is for station buildings, green is for general industry and blue is for limited industry. These are the cards for the Cold Storage Depot, and the Hotel.

Next I am going to work on the municipal buildings.
Attachments
2dcard.jpg
2DRestaurantTM_A.jpg
2dColdStorage_A.jpg
nedfumpkin
CEO

Progress Update.....

First, initial indications are that the Windmill can be made into a Waste Incinerator and produce electricity from garbage. Not done yet, but it looks like it will work.

I've completed the new municipal buildings. I will make these available to 1.05 and 1.06 when I have a chance, and upload them.

Municipal buildings are automatically generated by the cities. I've made changes to the existing ones so that the cinema will also consume corn, the church consumes gold, and a bit of alcohol. The Department store wants furniture, goods, electronics, and textiles. The retail wants goods, glass, alcohol, and medicine. Commercial wants paper, electronics, and furniture.

The Grocery Store consumes food, meat, milk, produce, flour, sugar, rice, etc...at different proportions at different time periods. Specifically, as time goes one the demand is more for processed food rather than fresh.

The Hardware Store consumes lumber, machinery, goods, etc, at different amounts at different times.

The Shopping Mall consumes a lot of everything.

The Landfill initially consumes only waste, but later consumes waste, sand and machinery.

The Hospital demands various things over time such as food, medicine, chemicals, alcohol, cotton, isotopes.

The Confectionery demands sugar and gum and will produce food.

The Apothecary demands Hemp, produce, alcohol, glass, chemicals, paper, and cotton in varying amounts to produce medicine. A small precursor to the pharmaceutical plant.

The Scrapyard demands waste and will produce iron, bauxite, automobiles, and machinery from it.

The Industrial Park will produce half loads of furniture, goods, machinery, glass, electronics, and ammunition, from lumber, steel, sand, gold and plastic, rubber and aluminum, explosives and steel (respectively).

These buildings will spawn at different times based on the city size. They will consume the commodities that are produced in the game, and some of them will produce products in competition with the player, but on a limited amount. Or, in the case of the apothecary, it puts medicine into the game before the pharma plant comes around in the 1900s.
Attachments
2DScrapyrd_A.jpg
2DHardware_A.jpg
2DApotheca_A.jpg
2DIndusprk_A.jpg
Grandma Ruth
CEO

::!**! ::!**! Can't wait to try them out!!
nedfumpkin
CEO

I wasn't able to get the waste incinerator to generate electricity, so rather than have it as an industry, I've made it a municipal building that consumes waste.
Incinerator.jpg

Here's the Sand Pit which is where sand comes from. :)

Sandpit.jpg
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Question? Why can't you starve in the desert?

Answer: Because of the sand which is there. ::!**!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That was bad Wolvy. Really bad. ^**lylgh
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

It's one I love to use on 3rd or 4th graders; they've got enough vocabulary to know the words, and enough saavy to listen to the sounds. Works best when spoken. I still occasionally use it in class too. Even college aged kids get a kick out of it.