Alpha 2

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

Alpha 2 Unread post

After a long time of hmmming and hawing, I'm fianlly getting into the RT3.exe file. As a result, a number of file names are changing so as to accomodate the changes. This is correcting the ambient sounds, and the way some effects occur, as in it will happen, etc.

I am also at this time setting up the campaigns and I am creating all new maps, videos etc. While the maps won't be necessairly completed, the set up will be done.

When I get this completed, any current maps may have to be manually converted. Tedious, but not a big deal.

When finished, everything should work better, but not much of a visible difference.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Alpha 2 Unread post

{,0,}
If the tedious work is also fairly simple, let me know if I can help! I'm still working on a scenario but hopefully not for too much longer. :roll:
nedfumpkin
CEO

It's both simple and complicated. Basically I have had to rename the bca files for the agricultural communities. This is because they are listed in the RT3.exe file. Since I can't change the overall size of the file, I am just replacing the characters themselves in a way that the old farm is similar to the new ones. Thus the FARM DAIRY is renamed to FARM COOPD. But only the bca file.

This should ensure that the event effect for farm production will properly react, and also it will allow for the right ambient sounds etc to work. I'm doing this for an files that are no longer in use from RT3...i.e. barracks, toy factory, etc.

Then, I am also doing the same thing for the campaigns. I am creating all new voice overs, videos, etc, to have a series of new campaigns. For now I am concentrating on the first room where there are 5 scenarios to set up. (the actually complete maps will come later, for now I am using blanks)

The conversion process requires loading maps with both the old and new files if any buildings have been placed on the map during creation. Then it is a matter of replacing the old with the new.

To accomplish this, and so as to be able to convert 106 maps, I am going to create a dummy set up where I can load a map, strip it of any buildings, then save it as a base map for TM.

As soon as I get the set up for conversions, I can convert your map for you. It'll most likely be next weekend that I get stuff done.

At the same time I am exploring the idea of troops and gold getting swapped but I have to make sure I don't run into the problem of gold not traveling except by rail. Tentative idea, only 10% chance of success.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:As soon as I get the set up for conversions, I can convert your map for you. It'll most likely be next weekend that I get stuff done.
No rush, I've realised that it's not going to work the way I had it so I'm re-thinking the whole thing at the moment. Could be a while before I get back on track!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Take your time. I've got lots to do for right now. Though, when you do get back on track, let me know what you're up to and I can slot it into a campaign area when its done. Right now I am setting up for the first 5 to be in the USA. I'm also going to do some Canadian campaigns, but there is lots open for anything else.

For the US campaign, I'm going to make an early 1830 map, then "Black Diamonds" in 1845, "Deadwood" in 1870, another in the early 1900s, then the Nuke scenario, then a current one.

For now I am just going to put dummy maps in the slots until I get them done. If push comes to shove, I can always convert 1.06 or 1.05 maps and make modifications as necessary.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm still working on sorting out the campaigns, and I've decided that rather than group by continent, I am going to group by century. The first 5 campaigns will be from the 1800s, then next will be from the 1900s, then next three will be from the 2000s, and the final three will be reserved for either futuristic scenrios, or uber difficult scenarios.

So for the first five, I am planning on:

Upper Canada - the eastern Canada map but in 1830.

Black Diamonds - 1845 Pennsylvania

Deadwood - The North Pacific map.

Orient Express - re-issue of the RT3 map

Trans-Siberian - possibly a re-issue, or a re-do.

The next century will have a bunch of other maps, and I am still sorting it out.

I am completely open to suggestions, and also to contributions.