Trainmaster 2.0

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

Trainmaster 2.0 Unread post

I've pretty much decided that some time next fall I am going to be revising some parts of Trainmaster, and repackaging it for download and installation. So far there's only a few things that need to be fixed, for since our German friends are willing to make easy to use MSI installers, my goal is to go that route to make installation a single click operation. I know I have to fixe the station icons and there is an error in the language file relating to post offices. I think there are some other things that need to be fixed. Really minor.

One of the things I have been thinking about is making the end date on all locomotives infinity. This will mean that the scenario writer will have to make the locomotives unavailable by using an event. I like this idea because it will allow greater flexibility in using locomotives since you will be able to keep buying them if you want, but at the same time it can allow old locomotives to be run as novelties, and the event writer can fidget with the operating costs and stuff.

This would have a minimal impact on scenarios already written, or not. It all depends.

So if there are any other things that anyone thinks could be fixed, feel free to propose it, however, understand that any impact on scenarios would have to be minimal if at all.

I'm also working on a set of express cars and troop carriers that will be the default set for Trainmaster. Extra sets will be available as they are now, but these will be installed with TM. Currently the german version installs with the german sets.

at the same time, by then I am hoping to have the first 5 campaign maps made, new menus for them that aren't shifted to the left, and have those as a single zip file.

anyways, if you notice something that needs to be fixed, or think something should be changed, let's discuss it.
RTFanStation
Hobo

Re: Trainmaster 2.0 Unread post

nedfumpkin wrote: One of the things I have been thinking about is making the end date on all locomotives infinity. This will mean that the scenario writer will have to make the locomotives unavailable by using an event. I like this idea because it will allow greater flexibility in using locomotives since you will be able to keep buying them if you want, but at the same time it can allow old locomotives to be run as novelties, and the event writer can fidget with the operating costs and stuff.
I like this idea. I'm currently writing a scenario based in the modern era, but would like some older diesels from the 60's and 70's to be available. This would make the map more realistic.

Other than that, I haven't noticed anything major that needs to be addressed quickly in Trainmaster. I just see a gradual refinement process that would eventually end once the campaign is completed.

!*th_up*!
Visit the Railroad Tycoon Fan Station - http://www.techtourguide.com/kurtdvich/
nedfumpkin
CEO

RTFanStation wrote:
I like this idea. I'm currently writing a scenario based in the modern era, but would like some older diesels from the 60's and 70's to be available. This would make the map more realistic.
That's enough for me to decide....I'll try to work on it this weekend and post it as a patch.
RTFanStation wrote: Other than that, I haven't noticed anything major that needs to be addressed quickly in Trainmaster. I just see a gradual refinement process that would eventually end once the campaign is completed.
Basically that is what I am doing. Some things got forgotten when the final release came, and I am really trying not to post patches since the errors I have found are only cosmetic so I haven't really bothered to do anything. But definitely if anyone sees anything, let me know. No matter how minor.
RTFanStation
Hobo

All I've seen are just a few typos and a couple houses that have smoke coming off the side (not on the building) of it.

That's basically it, for now. :salute:
Visit the Railroad Tycoon Fan Station - http://www.techtourguide.com/kurtdvich/
alpha3
Cat

Any Progress for Trainmaster 2.0? I think trainmster is a very great project!!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks, and yes, there is progress althought it is a bit slow since my day job and life in general keeps interfering with my TM time.

Currently I am working on the Deadwood campaign scenario, I might post a copy later for people to try out.
thietavu
Conductor

TrainMaster is my favorite game these days. Just having the final test on my new Great China 3 map for TM - it's a joy to have all the new business actions and more things going on! :) Can't wait to see more development around TM! (0!!0)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks, I am glad you enjoy that. I am always working on TM in some way, so I appreciate the patience.

BTW...I was wondering what speed people play on. I am recosnidering the main menu screen during game play, and I always play, and always have, at slow speed, never normal. I think normal is too fast to keep your eye on things, so I am going to recolour the speed dots, and slwo will be come normal, normal will become fast, etc.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I always play on normal speed.
Hawk
thietavu
Conductor

Since the map I've been building and testing for almost a year now is so huge and its timescale also very long, I tend to start with "Normal" in 1876 to get the business going because trains are very slow then. Quite soon I, however, switch to "Slow", which I use maybe some 60% of my time in this game and China scenario. I also use "Very slow" quite a lot (maybe 30% of time), especially when inspecting my train fleet and making replacements, etc. I like to enjoy driving those trains and watching the views when possible. :)

At least for this map I'm testing now, "Normal" feels too fast for most purposes (except when you need money faster). "Slow" does, indeed, feel like "normal" to me, too, when the trains get somewhat fast and lots of things are happening everywhere.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I usually play on "Normal" but occasionally on "Fast" or "Very Fast" if I'm just whiling away time to get to some event. I rarely play on "Slow" or "Very Slow". If I want extra time, I just "Pause", do what I need to do, then go back to "Normal".
thietavu
Conductor

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I usually play on "Normal" but occasionally on "Fast" or "Very Fast" if I'm just whiling away time to get to some event. I rarely play on "Slow" or "Very Slow". If I want extra time, I just "Pause", do what I need to do, then go back to "Normal".
I guess this is what's different between some people and scenarios here. For example, my own maps are not about events - they are simulations about building and running trains on detailed, hopefully beautiful and realistic lands. No need to rush anywhere, unless you're running out of funds. ;) But RRT3 is, as we know, very many things. At its other end it is a game - not a world simulation. And its "game" side probably has little or no use for those slower modes.

Maybe it's therefore fine as it is now?
Blackhawk
CEO

I think in my case it really varies on the map. If there is a haulage goal and I'm doing okay with my profits and hauls I may just put it on very fast and let it run. I remember doing this on one of Ed's maps until enough steel was hauled. I think I make use of most of the speeds from Pause to Very Fast. I'll use very slow If I'm waiting for a train to arrive and I need to change it's cargo or other minute details otherwise I probably run at normal the majority of the time. However I do use pause a lot.
Reto

Hello,

i regularly checked the Molse Forum for News on Trainmaster and
as i heard that Molse did close his Forum i now had to signup here. :-)

Ned, if you finish the TrainMaster 2.0 let me know. I will make the .msi for it.

Thanks for keeping up the RR and TM Games...
Reto
El Moichi
Watchman

Reto! Welcome back. (0!!0)
nedfumpkin
CEO

Welcome Reto....and I am still working on TM, jut slowly since I am also trying to find a house to buy. But progress is being made.
Reto

Thanks El Moichi and ned... :-)

We bought an apartment two years ago, i know what you're talking about. :-)
Hope you will find what you need.

I just wanted to say that i am still here.

Greetings
Reto
El Moichi
Watchman

Reto wrote:I just wanted to say that i am still here.
That´s good to know. :salute:
wurb
Cat

Hy, my English leaves much to be desired which is why I write this using google translate.
I was actually traveling mostly on the sides of Molse because they are no longer there but I am now with you :)
So by the time I know it gave the user translated into German tm, since I've played in a while but not rrt3 I'm not up to date.
Now to my question, there are German translations for the campaign? if so where?
there are still German rrt3/tm forums?

ps: the German version I've downloaded but the individual scenarios in the campaign are in English (which you do)

und hi moichi
Hawk
The Big Dawg

wurb wrote:there are still German rrt3/tm forums?
Your English is fine. !*th_up*!

As far as I know, there are no other German forums for RT3/TM. Molse's was the last of them.
Hawk