Triple and Quad Track...

General discussion about TrainMaster
RobbersBaron
Hobo

Triple and Quad Track... Unread post

Hello,

I've been checking out the maps, add-ons, and obviusly the TM sections (I spent the last 3 days downloading all the importaint TM files and then extra's, internet is slow) I was just playing the Dever and Western Scinario (cant spell it right today...) and noticed that in Cheyann and Salt Lake City, there was 4-6 Railtracks directly side-by-side. My question basically is, how did he do that? (I have been trying to be able to do that since I started playing RRT II and 3 (and now TM 1))

Thanks
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Triple and Quad Track... Unread post

It can be done but it takes a little patience. You have to do it by laying short sections of track, extending one then the other.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

And zooming way in, sometimes to the maximum allowed. Lay just a short piece of track at first, then you can zoom out a little and extend in both directions.
Stoker
Engineer

You can also lay adjacent track by starting short segments in the correct alignment (both sides) a long way from your intended "yard" area, then dragging between those segments, this makes the track want to "glue" in the correct position. Then after you get the tracks running parallel and adjacent to each other, you erase the unwanted portions. There is a thread about this somewhere on the site.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
RobbersBaron
Hobo

k, thanks. I'll give some of those a try N' see I can made TM bend to my will.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

That's great advice Hawk! It would be perfecr for my upcoming Pennsy scenario.
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
cheminot
Brakeman

In answer to a recent post by RobbersBaron and Hawk (jan 2011 -huh), laying triple or quad tracks is a mother of an enterprise :-x
First, you can't lay one section of track, they have to be long enough to break from the point of origin. That makes really weird curves.
Second, you have to make another weird curve from that first 'sprite'. If you are lucky, you can pull a third section more or less the way you want.
Thirdly, erasing the unwanted parts will hit your wallet heavily.
I have tried, really tried and finally gave up. *!*!*!
"He who knows that he doesn't know anything, knows a lot"
jewish proverb
thietavu
Conductor

There are sections in Great China 4 for TM which would benefit from at least 3 tracks due to very heavy traffic and fast bullet trains available... Tried the idea once, with some success.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
cheminot
Brakeman

This seems to be a recurring idea... I seen the same idea, and the same answers, elsewhere.
Obviously, the answers are not satisfactory, so, I'm wondering if someone would show in a few pictures how they do it. :-D
In fact, in a larger scope I would LOVE to see someone's else track layout of a well known scenario. :mrgreen:

Two reasons for this, train speeds and economy: lesser sheds and towers equals less overhead.

Weird that the man who created this whole whoola hasn't manifested himself. Arrest him! Bring him to court! his name is Phil Remmington.
Reward to the arresting officer!! !*th_up*!
jewish proverb
Hawk
The Big Dawg

cheminot wrote:Two reasons for this, train speeds and economy: lesser sheds and towers equals less overhead.
Laying triple and quad track will help train speed, it won't make a difference on towers and sheds. They will only cover 1 or 2 tracks, no matter how many you lay.
If you were to lay quad track, you would still have to place towers and sheds on both double track. ASlso, a station will only cover 1 or 2 track so you would still have to place a station on the extra track.

Give me a little time and I'll see if I can come up with some screenshots on how to do it.
I've done it before but it might take some time for me to remember how. :mrgreen:
cheminot wrote:Weird that the man who created this whole whoola hasn't manifested himself. Arrest him! Bring him to court! his name is Phil Remmington.
Reward to the arresting officer!! !*th_up*!
How do you know that RobbersBaron and Phil are one in the same?

Phill's still around. As a matter of fact, he just sent me 6 maps to add the the archives yesterday.
Unfortunately all 6 of them required add-ons to function and he didn't include a read me stating which add-ons were needed.
I'm waiting on him to re-submit them.

Edit 1: Here's a post from way back in '08 that shows what it would look like.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=571&p=11511#p11511
Hawk
cheminot
Brakeman

Ok, you get the arresting award. (a drawing of Paris? A Nudie by Fragonard?)
The 'Phil/Baron' thing was just luck :-D
I'm glad he is still around, as so many others have gone to SimCity or such... :mrgreen:

As for the sheds/towers having to be built again, it seems obvious, but it gets solved with two stations doesn't it?
BTW, there was (is) a scenario somewhere, that for a fee, stations could provide water and oil while loading/unloading. That was a step up! :-) Wonder who and how he did it...

The thread you gave is God sent, I've been looking for it for a long time... almost a year. BUT, it does not show the step by step of doing those quad tracks.
As a previous post by me: Do a crazy curve, do another crazy curve, and if you're lucky you can finish the sprite. You also finish your wallet.

Maybe there should be a poll about maintenance/water on sprites or on main line. Who is for and who is against, for instance. Meself, I just do it the AI way: on the main line, but closer to each other.

After the whooshing sound this is the most buggersome item. More to come, I'm sure, but I'm happy this thread is alive ::!**!
jewish proverb
Hawk
The Big Dawg

cheminot wrote: I'm glad he is still around, as so many others have gone to SimCity or such... :mrgreen:
I just found out from Phil that he is not nor was not RobbersBaron. Nope! That's not him.
cheminot wrote:As for the sheds/towers having to be built again, it seems obvious, but it gets solved with two stations doesn't it?
BTW, there was (is) a scenario somewhere, that for a fee, stations could provide water and oil while loading/unloading. That was a step up! :-) Wonder who and how he did it...
That's done by an event that, for a price it reduces the consumption of oil & water. It doesn't incorporate the sheds and towers into the station.
cheminot wrote:The thread you gave is God sent, I've been looking for it for a long time... almost a year. BUT, it does not show the step by step of doing those quad tracks.
As a previous post by me: Do a crazy curve, do another crazy curve, and if you're lucky you can finish the sprite. You also finish your wallet.

Maybe there should be a poll about maintenance/water on sprites or on main line. Who is for and who is against, for instance. Meself, I just do it the AI way: on the main line, but closer to each other.
I honestly don't think it can be shown with screenshots. It would most likely have to be shown in a video.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk wrote:
cheminot wrote:As for the sheds/towers having to be built again, it seems obvious, but it gets solved with two stations doesn't it?
That's done by an event that, for a price it reduces the consumption of oil & water. It doesn't incorporate the sheds and towers into the station.
Take a look at Michigan 1830. :oops:
cheminot
Brakeman

That's the one! One of my favorite maps this year... :mrgreen:

Must learn how to copy that event into other maps. Like the 'Game Balance' in Oilcan's Bible. Of course it should work for the AI too.
jewish proverb