New American Locomotives.

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

New American Locomotives. Unread post

Here's some screen caps of what I have gotten to on these new locomotives.

The original American 4-4-0 is renamed to the Standard 4-4-0. This is the first name it went by, and the American didn't become popular until 1870, which is when the new one becomes available.

The Consolidation and Freight King are designed for hauling freight. I'm trying to figure out a new name for the Freight King since the Consolidation name is more appropriate, so I just might make them both Consolidations. The second becomes available in 1870.

Basically, what I am trying to do, building on Arop's suggestions, is extend the livery in the US in the 1800s by having the 4-4-0 and 2-8-0 have some progression to them that will keep them going until the end of the century. The 1870 models of the locomotives gives you a passenger loco in the 4-4-0 that leads up to the 8 wheeler, and the 2-8-0 gives to a slow to start but powerful freight hauler that realistically can be still used into the 1930s.
Standard.JPG

1855->
American.jpg
1870-> I am thinking of increasing the acceleration
Consol.JPG
1865->
FreightKing.JPG
1870-> I may move this to 1875 to give it more space between the original Consolidation.

-----

I'm completely open to any suggestions on the above.
Moggie
Conductor

Re: New American Locomotives. Unread post

New Consolidation 2-8-0? Consolidation 2-8-0 Mk. II?
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm actually thinking of just making it the same name, but making the first Consolidation expire when the second becomes available. The smokestack are different so the profile imgages are disimilar so it will be obvious which is which. I'm thinking anyways....

Oh, and since will be available for 1.05 and 1.06, I am going to call all of this Cowboy Engines. :)
arop
Dispatcher

!*th_up*! :salute: Well done :!: I'm really looking forward to the moment they become avaiable.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm mostly done the skins so it won't be long..a few days I hope.
KenRuof
Hobo

Sweet... I want to try them in my PRR scenarios :-)
thietavu
Conductor

Can't wait to see them! :)

It would be fun to have more Russian and Chinese loco types for the China Ultimate 1 & 2 scenarios, too. The very powerful QJ is included but comes very late in the game and is therefore more or less obsolete. Or what about Finnish National Railways Tk3 class 2-8-0 light consolidation with exceptional fuel efficiency and reliability - and its big sisters, heavy Tr1 class 2-8-2 & Hr1 class 4-6-2 with equally economical features (which kept them running until 1973 in Finland!).
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Moggie
Conductor

Or the behemoth that is Tr2 "Truman".
Moggie
thietavu
Conductor

Moggie wrote:Or the behemoth that is Tr2 "Truman".
Always wondered what American type that one really is? Or was it a special class made for Russia only? I have discussed Tr2 with an old engineer. He told me that the beast had enormous pulling power but it was also very unstable in higher speeds (like many other US big, slow freight engines), coal-hungry and not very pleasant to drive. He also told me that Russian engines captured during WW2 were absolute disasters on wheels - hardly usable at all... Who knows, but Russian "L" class 2-10-2 would also be a handsome addition to RRT3 crew!
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Moggie
Conductor

From the Railway Museum website (translation mine):

"The locomotives were built by Baldwin and Alco locomotive factories and assembled in the Helsinki machine shop of the State Railroads. They were of the same type as the 2000 locos delivered to the USSR during the war."

edit1: Apparently they were binned because they were too heavy to be used on many parts of the Finnish network and because they were uneconomical.
edit2: corrected articles.
Last edited by Moggie on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moggie
arop
Dispatcher

!!howdy!! In steam locomotive building there are 2 mainstreams: a) European building practice (plate frames and cylindric boilers), mostly small to medium size engines and b) North American building pratice (bar frames, conical boilers, bells and "cowcatchers", some companies have huge articulated engines). Generally, due to my opinion, All RRT3 engines should be generic European/American not referring to any specific railway company (such as N&W 2-6-6-4 class A or NYC 4-6-4 class J1a). It would look better if your company's locos didn't have different logos. For instance NYC class J1 should be called American style 4-6-4, Class A1 should be called British 4-6-2, Kriegslokomotive: German 2-10-0 :salute: .
nedfumpkin
CEO

I tried to find some info on this and it's all in a foreign language...how different is this from the Kriegslok? Looks very similar to me.
thietavu
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:
I tried to find some info on this and it's all in a foreign language...how different is this from the Kriegslok? Looks very similar to me.
If you use the latest Chrome browser (or Opera with translation plug-ins), you should get a decent if a bit funny translation.

As for Tr2 and the Kriegslok... I've seen them both here in Finland at railroad museums. Tr2 appears to be much heavier and more powerful.

Some numbers:

TR2 "Truman" 2-10-0
- Weight: 166,2t
- Length: 22m
- Max speed: 65 kph
- Traction power: 17.780 kp

Kriegslok 2-10-0
- Weight: 102,7t
- Length: 23m
- Max speed: 80 kph

TR1 "Risto" 2-8-2 (original Finnish design, 1940-57)
- Weight: 157t
- Max speed: 80 kph
- Power: 1600 hp
- Traction power: 15.900 kp

Hr1 "Ukko Pekka" 4-6-2 (original Finnish design, 1937-57)
- Weight: 155t
- Max speed: 110..150 kph
- Traction power: 11.610 kp

Tk3 "Pikku Jumbo" (little jumbo) 2-8-0 (original Finnish design, 1928-53)
- Weight: 52+26t
- Length: 16m
- Max speed: 60 kph
- Traction power: 9.550 kp
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks, it's what I thought. I figured the specs were very different for the two locomotives, but the look very similar. So in order to make a TR2 out of a Kriegslok, what would have to be changed? Other than specs that is. I think there is enough differences between them that the existence of both wouldn't be a bad thing.
arop
Dispatcher

Source: Steam locomotive information. On this site you can find pictures and useful information about preserved steam locos all around the world. From top to bottom: Finnish locos, American built Class Tr2 "Truman" at the Railway museum in Hyvinka, class Tr1 "Risto" at Haapamaaki loco Park, class Hr1 "Ukka Pekka" in Haapamaaki and class Tk3 "Piko Jumbo" in Savolinna. (a minor batch of Tk3 were built in Denmark in 1949 to relieve the difficault postwar locomotive situation in Finland. The Tr1/Hr1, very similar freight/express engines were built until 1956 by Henschel & Sohn, Germany and Finnish manufactures. :salute: .
Attachments
2-10-0 Truman class.jpg
2-8-2 Risto class.jpg
4-6-2 Ukka Pekka class.jpg
2-8-0 Pikko Jumbo class.jpg
arop
Dispatcher

:idea: I think that an americanized Chineese QJ should be avaiable about 1930. Basicliy the design is American descending from some engines built in US for export, I believe it was about the 1930's. I think the maximum speed should be approx. 55 Mph. being a heavy freight engine avaiable until 1956, slow but more powerful than the P2 which I often use as a fast freight engine.
thietavu
Conductor

Thanks for finding the nice photos! :) The national railroad museum in Riihimäki and Haapamäki Steam Park are both "must" places for railroad fans to visit. The museum's collection includes 25 different steam engine types from 1868 to some of the last steam engines built in Europe + interesting diesels etc. Some of the locomotives are fully functional and used in various events.

Haapamäki Steam Park has dozens of steam engines in various states of restoration + some old diesels. It's a weird place - kind of like a locomotive graveyard with some amusement park features and even dancing etc. events. The park has lots of (especially) steam treasures but their documentation could be improved. The army of HR1 Pacifics and TR1 Mikados standing there just screams the message: "Someone out there - come and restore us! Make us move again!!"

http://www.rautatie.org/web/en/default.asp

Sorry for going off-topic... :roll:
thietavu
Conductor

arop wrote::idea: I think that an americanized Chineese QJ should be avaiable about 1930. Basicliy the design is American descending from some engines built in US for export, I believe it was about the 1930's. I think the maximum speed should be approx. 55 Mph. being a heavy freight engine avaiable until 1956, slow but more powerful than the P2 which I often use as a fast freight engine.
http://home.c2i.net/schaefer/qjdetails/qjhistory.html
nedfumpkin
CEO

Okay, I am looking at all this and it looks like these locos will require a bit of work. So give it to me straight, which locos do we want added to the game? I can make them up as dummies and then replace them with more modeled ones later on since I want to finish the ones I am working on and get back to my map and some other stuff. Basically I would just make a new skin for stand-ins so that the could be used, and when I get the time, make new locos to replace them...or someone else can if they are adventurous....

....so which ones do you want, and with what specs for the game?
Blackhawk
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:I'm actually thinking of just making it the same name, but making the first Consolidation expire when the second becomes available. The smokestack are different so the profile imgages are disimilar so it will be obvious which is which. I'm thinking anyways....

Oh, and since will be available for 1.05 and 1.06, I am going to call all of this Cowboy Engines. :)
For TM purposes I thought all engines never had an expiration date so would Consolidation I expire and become Consolidation II, but still have the same name? It still may make sense to have a slightly different name in case for some reason a scenario writer wants to have both Consolidations available.

Has anything gone on in regards to any of the diesels that were potentially talked about?