Orca. Should it stay or go?

General discussion about TrainMaster

Should the Orca be removed from Trainmaster?

The Orca is useless and never gets used.

18(86%)
I never got to Sea World as a kid and want to run a whale train to Sea World in Trainmaster. Keep it.

3(14%)

Total votes: 21

nedfumpkin
CEO

Orca. Should it stay or go? Unread post

I am making a bunch of new locomotives, and since there are a maximum number of locomotives possible in Trainmaster, I am considering removing the Orca...that's that whale looking thing.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Orca. Should it stay or go? Unread post

You got my vote. :mrgreen:
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

Let it go :!: I have always found it ridicoulos :mrgreen: I think there are at least 5 more engine types that could be scrapped :salute:
thietavu
Conductor

I'd vote for letting Orca, Zephyr and Ivatt http://www.semgonline.com/diesel/10800_01.html go - simply because although they look kind of nice, they are not really useful for anything. :) I'd rather see more of the international standard classes from around the world - or at least useful specialities. ;)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

When referring to the Ivatt, do you mean the GP7? They look almost identical. The GP7 was, and still is used around here alot.
thietavu
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:When referring to the Ivatt, do you mean the GP7? They look almost identical. The GP7 was, and still is used around here alot.
No, GP7 is fine. :) Ivatt 800 hp diesel was a British disaster already in its real life, as you can read from that article behind my link. ;)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Yes, it is weird how the locomotives look almost identical and the GP7 was successful and popular while the Ivatt was the opposite. Since the Ivatt is included in the britsh engines set, I am inclined to leave it in until the last moment in case someone wants to use it, for all the problems it causes, in a scenario on the british rails. We'll see since there is still lots of room for engines.
Blackhawk
CEO

I can't think of when the Orca would be useful, unless there's some fantasy world based scenario. As for the Zephyr, I think I made use of that as a reward that can be unlocked in my North v South Beta. That can always be changed though. I'd have to look at the stats on it again to determine if it really had any usefulness or not. I thought it seemed a little fast for the time period it became available, but I might be wrong.
brunom
Dispatcher

I voted Orca off

It's just awful, period!
nedfumpkin
CEO

If I remember correctly, the Zephyr was a real engine, and there is a video out there somewhere. I'm inlcined to keep it for a NY based scenario where it might have a use....can always fix it though. Also, there's a possibility I might use it in a scenario.

as for the Orca...I've already deleted the files so consider it gone.
Blackhawk
CEO

Indeed the Zephyr was a real engine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Zephyr

While I don't think I've ever seen the Pioneer, I have ridden on the Nebraska Zephyr (which is actually pulled by a EMD E5) as it was donated to the Illinois Railway Museum.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Which is why I am inclined to leave it in. I'm sure there is a scenario in there somewhere. I'll try to find the video I have of it.
arop
Dispatcher

I have used the Zephyr a couple of times for max. 2 passenger +dining car trains on long distance expresses. The times I have used it, it has always become avaiable by an event, Human players only, to prevent the silly AI's from using it on mixed or freight trains. In the real world, besides the Zephyr, there were paralells in Germany ("Fliegender Hamburger") and the Danish Lyntog ("Lightning Trains") in the mid and late thirties, lasting until approx 1970. Deleting engines, I would rather take a look at some of Bombardier's steam locos. Though he has done a great work for the RRT community, some of his creations looks a litle unfinished: I cannot stand to see a steam locomotive totally stripped from all its moving parts, that is the reason I never use the following engines: Pennsylvanian 4-6-0 Class G5, Preussian 0-6-0 G4, 2-6-2 Prarie, an early Italian 4-6-0 and a few more.
KenRuof
Hobo

There is a sceanrio for the Orca... Orient express but it is a canned one and probably will not function properly in TM anyway. So we can say then "There be whales NOT!"... Mr Scott would not like that ::!**!

I do agree about Bombardier's steam locos, they are sparce but much better than I can do.

I have not seen or used the Zepher since I mostly play steamer/electrics.

Please don't tell me if your going to replace a steamer with a "diseasal" !*00*!

Ken
El Moichi
Watchman

I personally agree in voting-off the Orca.
nedfumpkin wrote:and since there are a maximum number of locomotives possible in Trainmaster
If you need more "space* for engines, I would also suggest to delete other "fictional" engines, i. e. the "E-88" and "DD 080-X".
nedfumpkin
CEO

Since I hadn't really thought about it before, I do think I'll ude the Zephyr for a campaign scenario in after I am finished with Deadwood. So I think it will stay.

Also at this point it ins't necessary to remove any locomotives since there is still lots of room for more. But the Orca is gone because it is just silly. The orignal Orient Express won't load in TM to play, so if anyone converted it they would just need to select a different locomotive for the Orca.

I'll see what I can do with the locos missing parts, maybe I can come up with something. No promises.
El Moichi
Watchman

I could compile a "wish-list" of the oldest German electric engines, such as the E 73 (1914), E 49 00 (or EP 211/212, 1921) or E 16 101 (1928). !!jabber!!
nedfumpkin
CEO

El Moichi wrote:I could compile a "wish-list" of the oldest German electric engines, such as the E 73 (1914), E 49 00 (or EP 211/212, 1921) or E 16 101 (1928). !!jabber!!
Okay...mostly I would like to fill gaps where they exist but I am open to suggestions.
El Moichi
Watchman

Just kidding... :-D If I ever create a map about the Silesian electric mountain railroads (1920 - 1945), I´ll ask you for a custom pak. But maybe this will never happen.

If you are interested in pictures, look here and follow the links listed at the "Elektrische Lokomotiven" column (E 01, E 15, ....).

:salute:
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

FREE WILLIE
Ferroequines UNITE!!!

http://azrailrat.com/