Trainmaster Loco Pack

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

Trainmaster Loco Pack Unread post

Figured it would be easier to start a new topic. I'm figuring about 20 new locomotives will be included in this pack, so far there are the Cowboy Engines, and the P42DC, and P36 Red Arrow.

Planned are...

SR 2 - easily made from the Brenner E412

- Another, more modern Shinkansen would nicely fill the gap between the old Shinkansen and only much later appearing Eurostar etc...easy to make from the orginal...maybe make this one blue.

- Russian L -or LV-class heavy 2-10-0 / 2-10-2 freight engines. Now there are no locomotives to use on Russian railways but the VL80T (okay, they used some American models, but anyway...)

- Russian M62 diesel freight engine (very common around some parts of the old world). The twin-version is 2M62.

- Russian 2TE116 diesel freight engine (also very common and still in production, 6000 hp)

- Russian VL10 electric freight engine

- Norwegian gigantic IORE 2x7200hp ore freight engine. Perfect for those toughest mountain tracks.

- AND (!) the Garratts! :) British answers to the "mallets" - super powerful steam giants for Africa and many other places!

Which is about 13 locomotives leaving another 7 open to suggestion...ps...numbers are rough estimates.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Trainmaster Loco Pack Unread post

junat.jpg
vrsr2.jpg
VR SR2

I still have a bit of work to do getting the skin right, but here is the VR Sr2. The specs below are not correct except for top speed, so please let me know what..

The price should be?

The pulling power?

Maintenance cost?

Fuel Economy?

Acceleration?

vrsr2spec.jpg
KenRuof
Hobo

You may want to leave a few open for "custom" packs if someone wants to use an engine that is not part of the regular pack.

Ken

PS: Nice electric
thietavu
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:
junat.jpg
vrsr2.jpg
VR SR2

I still have a bit of work to do getting the skin right, but here is the VR Sr2. The specs below are not correct except for top speed, so please let me know what..

The price should be?

The pulling power?

Maintenance cost?

Fuel Economy?

Acceleration?

vrsr2spec.jpg
Beautiful work!! :) Once again! ;)

SR2's first examples were delivered to VR in 1995, but I think we could use 1991 since that's when the first examples of the class were delivered to another customer. The VR version is just very beautiful. :) As for the features: SR2 was, when it was ready, considered to be the most advanced electric engine in the world. So, it was not cheap. Maybe that price of, say, 700k would be realistic? What do you others think? Pulling power is simply enormous because of very advanced computer control and the design. Since RRT3's maximum "8 cars" load doesn't represent any truly gigantic freight loads but a normal long and heavy passenger or freight trains, I'd say that SR2 can easily handle that RRT3 "8 cars" worth of any type up to 130 mph on 2% grade and, perhaps, 100 mph on 4% grade. Since it is used in both Switzerland and Norway too, we could probably guess that it can do even 6% nicely in this game. 80 mph?

The acceleration is, from what I've seen with my own eyes, "nearly instant", beating even modern electric commuter trains. Fuel economy is excellent and annual maintenance probably low, too. An example of an engine expensive to buy but cheap and harmless to run since then. There have been no known reliability problems with this class. It's the other engines that seem to break down here - never SR2. ;)

Opinions? And thanks for great work! :)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks for the information. I had thought of doing a double engine, but don't see it as necessary...is an SR1 needed to?
thietavu
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:Thanks for the information. I had thought of doing a double engine, but don't see it as necessary...is an SR1 needed to?
A double SR2 could probably haul anything in RRT3 130 mph at 6% grade with its 14000 hp, so it could be fun, but maybe not absolutely necessary for most situations. A triple SR2 with 21000 hp... hmmm. (0!!0)

SR1 would, however, be a good addition to the roster since it would be available in 1973 and represent quite a useful medium-speed electric suitable for both freight and express use. Although SR2 is superior to it in every way, SR1 is still widely in use here after 38 years. Only the fastest and heaviest trains require SR2. I can also see an obvious upgrade path here, also in visual style. :) And, as you know, SR1 is a Russian design, so it would be useful for those East European, Russian, etc. scenarios too.

SR1 had some design problems like tendency to slip wheels big time when accelerating before VR replaced some of the original Russian electronics, fans, etc. with better solutions. The max speed of 100 mph also had to be lowered to 87 mph in order to increase tractive power. After those changes SR1 has been a reliable and fairly economical engine capable of operating almost anywhere, in all kinds of tasks.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

That's what I thought...the SR1 should be easy to make too.
Blackhawk
CEO

I can't say I know much about the SR2 but if it is made as good as thietavu says. (130mph for even 8 cars on a 2% plane) I would think it needs to be an expensive locomotive. 700k at the minimum, but as the Brenner arrives in 1999 and is 700k I would think something higher than 700k would be more appropriate. As the Brenner may then be an inferior locomotive (except for having a better top speed) but cost the same amount.
KenRuof
Hobo

Ned,

Just thought I'd leave a note... the Cow Boy engines are great. Been playing your Deadwood scenario, very nice. I gave up on my PRR scenario for now and started converting the Anthracite one to TM. So far so good but a lot of economy/industry tweeking to be done.

Ken
KenRuof
Hobo

One more thought,

We are missing a 2-10-2 and larger 2-10-0 on the US side also. These were big freight haulers before the super power became available. Not sure what model can be used to create them. Also not sure if they are the same as the Russian ones, probably bigger in size.

Ken
KenRuof
Hobo

Curious...

Is there any reason the Mogul 2-6-0 is not in the engine pack? I loved that engine in 1.0.6, a cheaper more economical engine than the 2-8-0 and good if you don't need the pulling power/expense.

Ken
nedfumpkin
CEO

Ull look into it, thought it was in there. Should get some time this weekend to get back to working on things.
thietavu
Conductor

Most of the Scandinavian early mixed trains were hauled by 2-6-0s. Some were in operation until the early 60's as passenger trains in lightly railed secondary routes. My new Scandinavia -map suffers a lot from the missing Moguls, since this forces one to either use the expensive 2-8-0s (later common here but not before ca. 1900) or 4-4-0s (which never were popular here). So, a 2-6-0 very early in the game would give a lot of realism to these kinds of scenarios. (0!!0)
KenRuof
Hobo

Thanks Ned,

If you need help with any of it I am a computer software dude.

Ken
arop
Dispatcher

8-) Maybe it is possible to build an early 2-6-0 from the early 4-4-0 American (to be avaiable approx.1860). This little freight engine should be slower and a little more powerful than the 4-4-0 American. Due to railway history, the 2-6-0 came before the 2-8-0. The later 2-6-0 (Bombardieres nice little engine, avaiable 1886),created from the 2-8-0 Consolidation, represents a typical allround engine (max 50 mph) for secondary lines and other minor jobs, it could be avaiable until approx. 1915 :salute:
KenRuof
Hobo

Good idea arop... I like it :salute:
dazzharvey
Hobo

I like the job you did with this train
aquarian_star02

where do i find TM loco pak? the ones referred to in emails above. only ones i found were for orignal rt3
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Have you looked in the Trainmaster section of the web site?

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/TM/
Hawk