Where to find resourses

General discussion about TrainMaster
alpha3
Cat

Where to find resourses Unread post

where can i go to read and hone my TM skills. I've read some forum topics. are there any threads particularly informative? I seem to be having trouble getting through the learning curve.
Last edited by alpha3 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook 7.1 intel core2 duo 4GB ram Wine 1.2.2 in Wineskin 2.0
thietavu
Conductor

Re: Where to find resourses Unread post

alpha3 wrote:where can i go to read and hone my TM skills. I've read some forum topics. are there any threads particully informative? I seem to be having trouble getting through the learning curve.
You can, if you wish, start by downloading and playing my Great China 3 map for TM. Its 12 page PDF manual gives some hints which can be useful for some other TM maps too. Or are you, perhaps, thinking of building new scenarios for TM? There is a good PDF document about the new resource system of TM downloadable on this site; http://hawkdawg.com/cgi-bin/tm-counter/ ... l?file=017 .
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

If you have questions about TM, or if you don't understand something, feel free to ask.

TM is all about the cargo. So the Supply Chain Guide is essential. When you play a TM map, it is all about making the cargo go where it is needed. This requires planning. The most important thing to realize is that most industries, if not all, will require at least 2 inputs to produce something, and some industries will require as many as 5. So you need to get the inputs to the factories in order to succeed. Remembering that cargo is demanded all over the map for various things, so there is always competition for your cargo.
alpha3
Cat

I have downloaded the great china 3 map but not even unzipped it , it seemed to daunting for a beginer. I will start with the pdf Thanks :salute:
as far as creating maps, I sure hope to soon but it is hard enough to find any freetime now to "practice" TM. I'll think of a few iedas

Ned I really appreciate all you have done to bring TM to the world !*th_up*! you have brought together everything I like best of RRT2 and RRT3. I know I'm comming on board late, but i would love to help with any testing (0!!0)
thietavu
Conductor

alpha3 wrote:I have downloaded the great china 3 map but not even unzipped it , it seemed to daunting for a beginer. I will start with the pdf Thanks :salute:
as far as creating maps, I sure hope to soon but it is hard enough to find any freetime now to "practice" TM. I'll think of a few iedas

Ned I really appreciate all you have done to bring TM to the world !*th_up*! you have brought together everything I like best of RRT2 and RRT3. I know I'm comming on board late, but i would love to help with any testing (0!!0)
Great China 3 TM can be a bit challenging, that's true. But I think it can also be a good practicing map for TM, because if you don't care about getting the "gold medal victory" so much in the beginning, Great China 3 can be a very good place to try all kinds of things. If you want to win it, it can be even difficult for some, depending on the strategy, but you can just as well play it in a relaxed way, testing what works and what does not. :) After all, if you can handle the mountains of this map, you can pretty certainly manage the mountains in any Railroad Tycoon 3 map! ;)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
nedfumpkin
CEO

alpha3 wrote: Ned I really appreciate all you have done to bring TM to the world !*th_up*! you have brought together everything I like best of RRT2 and RRT3. I know I'm comming on board late, but i would love to help with any testing (0!!0)
To be sure, I take credit for packaging and tenacity. TM was, is, and always will be a community project. A lot of people are equally responsible for TM in many ways.

Two good maps to get your feet wet are Persian Electric, and CA01 - Birth of a Nation. They will give you an idea of how TM works, and are pretty straight forward.
alpha3
Cat

I have played both Persian Express and Birth of a Nation as well as Warington Wire. I guess my problem is how to keep making money to keep expanding. I was able to play Birth of a nation without "artificially adding money to the Company coffers" but could not expand soon enough to haul all the loads soon enough
Last edited by alpha3 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk
CEO

I'd say the easiest way to make money in TM would be to own profitable industries. Some industries are more profitable than others and of course this requires you to make sure the industry is supplied.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Papermills. That is the secret. If you can find a papermill at its early stages, and then supply it with hemp and/or pulpwood, you will do well. Paper will always be in demand. Next is textile mills, and flower mills, but you have to get those when they are cheap too. These three industries rely on agriculture, so there is bound to be some near by. The flower mill needs to be regularly supplied with paper or textiles though or else you will have wasted your money.

When you start a TM map, it is always a best et to get a cheap industry that you can supply with your first train while still connecting a couple of cities, and then look towards expanding your RR. The industry will generate income that can cover stuff like overhead and interest payments, and the money you make from the RR can fund expansion.
alpha3
Cat

I have started playing great china 3, it is a truly impressive map! I figure I just need to keep trying things out and see what works. I'm sure it would be boring if you could get gold every time first time, I just have to remember that learning is half the fun!! :-D