Recycling Plant causing crashes

Discuss any bugs or issues with TrainMaster.
JFMarvelous
Watchman

Recycling Plant causing crashes Unread post

Ned, I'm running Alpha 1J on your orginal TM test map, (XP sp3). I'm 500 years into my test, and so far it's great. The auto plant in Mucusso is well supplied, but refuses to make enough cars to be profitable.
I tried putting a recycling plant in Erin, but when I take the game off pause, it will run for about 3 seconds and then crash(screen goes black and message box pops up -RT3 has encountered an error and needs to close). I restart the game and bulldoze the recycling plant, everything works fine.
I have no problem will the chemical plants,(I build them in cities with high demands, and let them supply smaller markets),( I have 4 profitable ones in Mucusso alone.)
Also Vineyard? demands 1 lumber per year but does not show producing anything, although cargo map shows it producing alcohol.?
Your doing an outstanding job with TrainMaster !!clap!! !!clap!! !!clap!! !$th_u$!
Mucusso.bmp.jpg
Silibury Bay.bmp.jpg
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Recycling Plant causing crashes Unread post

I just checked the recycling plant and I didn't have it crash until at least 18 months later. I think it has to do with the bauxite car rather than the recycling plant per se. But I could be wrong. I'll try some other things and figure it out.

I'm still looking into the winery, but it requires lumber to create the wine, but glass to bottle it before it can be shipped in quantity.

BTW...thank for doing those tests. I appreciate it.

PS. I got the oil refinery to make chemicals and petroleum and make a decent profit.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

nedfumpkin wrote:PS. I got the oil refinery to make chemicals and petroleum and make a decent profit.
Cool! :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

I may have spole too soon. I did find an error in the reycling plant, but I still have it crashing. I continue working on it.
low_grade
Dispatcher

Just curious about all that complicated looking trackwork I see above. RTIII doesn't let you lay track that close to other track, so I'm guessing you reset the grabbing parameter. I haven't tried your TM Alpha yet, so excuse my ignorance, but does this mean you've also removed double tracking, in order to encourage such things as placing service towers on each of the three parallel sections in order to be able to route your trains precisely and reserve such things as high speed and low speed track for appropriate trains? Well, as I said, I have no idea what you're really doing, but I'm getting more intrigued the more I hear...
JFMarvelous
Watchman

That is double track, and I just laid the track as close as I could,(it wasn't easy). I did it to relieve congestion as I had a lot of trains backing up in that area.
I like the bio-mass plants for petroleum production, plus I get a little pulp too. (use the corn and hemp bio-mass plants too).
nedfumpkin
CEO

I still can't figure out what is wrong with the recycling plant. I created a whole new bca file for it, and it still crashed. I've reverted back to the original bca and it seems to work fine. The difference is that the orginal uses 2 loads of waste to make steel, paper, or aliminum. I wanted it to make constituent parts instead, i.e. iron, bauxite, pulpwood, etc since it seems more logical. I am going to muck about with it and try some other things.
JFMarvelous
Watchman

Btw Ned, I was upgrading the recycling plant as soon as I placed it, I didn't try it un upgraded.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm still working on the recycling plant. So far the only thing I have been able to get to work right is the default plant from rt3.

I'm still working on this. Really, really strange things happening with it.

Edit: I give up. Anything other than the default for the recycling plant results in the game crashing at some point. I do not understand why, but it seems the only thing I can change is the start date. weird. So I'll uplad it in a patch tomorrow with some other changes.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Since I'm not happy with the default Recycling Plant, I am working on the same thing but under a different name in case I can get it to work without crashing. By rights Recycling plants produce raw materials so I'm more inclined to have it produce iron instead of steel, pulpwood instead of paper, and bauxite instead of aluminum.

I'll let you know how I make out.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've managed to create a Reclamation Facilty that will function as a Recylcing Plant a lot better; I think. I'd like some opinions on whether to add this new industry, remove the current Recycling Plant, or keep both.

The Reclamation Facitlity:

1 waste = 2 Bauxite

1 waste = 2 Iron

1 waste = 2 Pulpwood

1 waste = 2 Sand

Demands Electronics and Machinery.

The Recycling Plant:

2 waste = 1 Aluminum

2 waste = 1 Steel

2 waste = 2 Paper

The Recylcing Plant makes a goodly amount of profit, whereas due to the low prices of the Reclamation Faclity, it will make less than 100k or 300k upgraded. It only costs 700k to build, 550 to upgrade.

My thoughts are that a recycling facility won't produce finished products, but ore equivalents that need to be melted down. ie...Discarded glass will be crsuehd into sand to be sent to a glass factory, etc.

I can't get this thing to make losts of cash, so I reduced the price of it to make it pay for itself.

So do you want one, the other or both?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

The reclamation facility.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Why 2 of each from 1 waste? Is it to increase profitability? If an industry makes 10% ROI I'm very happy, thus for a $700K investment, it would not be unreasonable for it to return only $50K/year in a Normal economy. In the real world, recycling facilities are marginally profitable at best and money pits at worst.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Even after I dropped the price of waste to $10, it still struggles to make a profit at 1 waste to 2 iron due to the pricing. So I'm okay with it making only 80k in the best of years, and I agree, these businesses don't make large amounts of money unless they are a front for money laundering. :)

Although, with the recycling plant already in the game, I am hesitant to remove it because of the potential porblems with doing that. Mght keep them both, but for now I am undecided.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

As long as it works, I advocate adding the Reclaimation Facility. It can then be up to the scenario designer which ones to include in her/his scenario.