I broke it

Discuss any bugs or issues with TrainMaster.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I broke it Unread post

I'm not sure what I've done, but I'm having a problem with the test map where it crashes in 1915 - scenario starts in 1910. I am hesitating on uploading the latest changes to the buildings and industries, which was supposed to be the completion, but now I have to figure out what is causing the crash.

The log file is giving me this error:

------------------

Charge 2 330253
Charge 2 52929
Charge 2 30694
Charge 2 27971

Anyone have any ideas what that means?

Has anyone tested Patch Alpha 1g to see if that works at all...it will help me to narrow down where I have to look.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: I broke it Unread post

Indications now are that the problem appears to be the D era coal hopper which goes from 1914 to 1945. Not sure what is wrong with it, but I'll keep looking.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:Has anyone tested Patch Alpha 1g to see if that works at all...it will help me to narrow down where I have to look.
I'm using right now on the test map. I got a few unexplained crashes too right around this time, but restarting the game, or redoing what I did before the crash seems to fix it. A couple of other comments though: the Food Processor is still not making anything in 1916. I think I mentioned this before, but must have slipped through the cracks. I've also noticed some strange things with the houses and their demand for things. For instance, even though the House demands only 0.02 Medicine, the cargo overview shows a huge demand gradient, with a price at a single isolated house the same as in a city. Same is true for many of the other cargos demanded by houses. In fact, the demand for Textiles at said single isolated house is larger than it is in a cell with two Machine Shops. And as for Machine Shops, the maximum output of an upgraded Shop is only 4 per year, hardly enough to supply all the demand on the map. I even built two of them next to each other, and while they are producing at maximum capacity, there still isn't enough Machinery to go around, especially with things like Lumber Camps and Oil Wells that require it to produce anything more than a trickle of logs/pulpwood or oil. Personally, I think that these two should produce their normal 1 or 2 per year, with increased production if Machinery is supplied, much like the crops/fertilizer or livestock/corn enhancement. I can't even come close to getting lumber made because the Logging Camps are played out of their initial stocks and don't produce enough without the Machinery, which is in very short supply. I'm also having a tough time making Rubber because Coal seems to want to wander off to other places. I had to have the game spawn a few Tropical Plantations to get the Gum needed, but the Rubber Factory is starved for Coal and won't make any Rubber without it.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm thinking that for some of the buildings you'll need to install them from what I am waiting to post. You're right on the food processor though, it slipped through the cracks. Will fix it before uploading 1h. I'll also look at everything else.

Something I am noticing is that some of the maximum per year numbers aren't making sense. I'm not sure what it means, but the meat packing plant says max 5 but the building detail never says more than 2. something. Yet, it is consuming livestock and producing meat, hides, and fetilizer (I increased it to make more since it was below a value where it cold ever be hauled.

I just changed the lumber mill as you requested. First entry in the docs is now 1 logs = 1 lumber, second entry is the same. Dates for both are 1830 - >

I increased the maximum for the Machine Shop but I'm not sure what else to do to it. In theory, this should be the most lucrative industry. I'll post patch 1h tonight and give it a try. I think it will also help if both aluminum and steel are supplied. Rubber and Textiles also. This should increase its production. The alternative will be to have two different types of machine shop.

Food processor had a blank spot from 1914-1920. Typo on my part..and has been fixed.

Logging Camp:

1 Logs, 1 Pulpwood. Add 1 machinery to produce 3

Will work on the oil well and rubber factory later tonight.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm still experiencing crashes in 1914...not sure what is causing it, but here's the log information in case anyone knows what it means.

------------------

Charge 2 0
Charge 2 56470
Charge 2 19970
Charge 2 66495
Charge 2 41246
0k, Time: 15 SGameHeader
0k, Time: 15 mptBuildingCategoryAvailable
0k, Time: 47 WorldMapSave
0k, Time: 62 City blocking
0k, Time: 62 Detail maps
0k, Time: 62 SubCell/Cell/Vertex/Cluster
0k, Time: 125 EconomyZone
0k, Time: 125 gptGameMap
0k, Time: 125 gptGameCamera
0k, Time: 125 gpdCargoTypeDB
0k, Time: 140 gpdBuildingTypeDB
0k, Time: 140 buildingDB flexarray
0k, Time: 140 buildingDB write extra
0k, Time: 140 gpdBuildingDB
0k, Time: 156 gpdMicroLoadDB
0k, Time: 156 gpdStationDB
0k, Time: 156 gpdCarDB
0k, Time: 156 gpdTrainDB
0k, Time: 171 gpdCompanyDB
0k, Time: 187 gpdTrackDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdTrackLineDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdPlayerDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdLabelDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdParticleObjectDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdCityDB
0k, Time: 218 gpdTerritoryDB
0k, Time: 218 gpdAirplaneDB
0k, Time: 218 gpdEventDB
0k, Time: 16 SGameHeader
0k, Time: 31 mptBuildingCategoryAvailable
0k, Time: 63 WorldMapSave
0k, Time: 63 City blocking
0k, Time: 63 Detail maps
0k, Time: 63 SubCell/Cell/Vertex/Cluster
0k, Time: 125 EconomyZone
0k, Time: 125 gptGameMap
0k, Time: 125 gptGameCamera
0k, Time: 141 gpdCargoTypeDB
0k, Time: 141 gpdBuildingTypeDB
0k, Time: 141 buildingDB flexarray
0k, Time: 156 buildingDB write extra
0k, Time: 156 gpdBuildingDB
0k, Time: 172 gpdTrainDB
0k, Time: 172 gpdCompanyDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdTrackLineDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdPlayerDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdLabelDB
0k, Time: 203 gpdParticleObjectDB
0k, Time: 219 gpdCityDB
0k, Time: 219 gpdTerritoryDB
0k, Time: 219 gpdAirplaneDB
0k, Time: 234 gpdEventDB
Charge 2 71151
Charge 2 27917
Charge 2 26519
0k, Time: 15 SGameHeader
0k, Time: 15 mptBuildingCategoryAvailable
0k, Time: 46 WorldMapSave
0k, Time: 62 City blocking
0k, Time: 62 Detail maps
0k, Time: 62 SubCell/Cell/Vertex/Cluster
0k, Time: 124 EconomyZone
0k, Time: 124 gptGameMap
0k, Time: 124 gptGameCamera
0k, Time: 124 gpdCargoTypeDB
0k, Time: 140 gpdBuildingTypeDB
0k, Time: 140 buildingDB flexarray
0k, Time: 140 buildingDB write extra
0k, Time: 140 gpdBuildingDB
0k, Time: 171 gpdTrainDB
0k, Time: 171 gpdCompanyDB
0k, Time: 202 gpdTrackLineDB
0k, Time: 202 gpdPlayerDB
0k, Time: 202 gpdLabelDB
0k, Time: 202 gpdParticleObjectDB
0k, Time: 218 gpdCityDB
0k, Time: 218 gpdTerritoryDB
0k, Time: 218 gpdAirplaneDB
0k, Time: 234 gpdEventDB
Charge 2 79693
Charge 2 55645
Charge 2 98252
nedfumpkin
CEO

I just uploaded the Alpha 1h patch that finishes off all the industry tweaking for now. There still appears to be a crashing problem, and I think I have narrowed it down to some not so far identified skin problems with the freight cars and screen resolution. I am going to focus on the freight cars now and see if I can't resolve the problem. It seems to be occuring at a particular zoom level since it's crashing while the game is paused, and while I am zooming out.

Any help in identifying the particular cars would be of great assistance.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Mine started crashing in 1916 and seems to be linked to zooming or panning the map. As long as I leave it alone, it seems to be fine, but as soon as i move about (not sure if zoom is involved) it crashes to desktop. I did have some minor crashes earlier (seems to me they stated in 1914), but they seemed to resolve themselves by redoing what I did. I'll try and do some testing (start the map in 1913 and add load-specific trains to test each cargo.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've noticed that some of the skins for freight cars don't go down to 16x16 pixels. I'm at 1600x1200 resolution so I am thinking that when it goes to look for the smaller files on some freight cars that it will crap out. Or else it could be related to one of the buildings, but it seems to be the hoppers.

BTW...I didn't make any changes to the Rubber Factory at this point. I want to look into it some more, and I will return to it after I get this freight car issue fixed.
WPandP
Engineer

I doubt that the lack of a given resolution on car skins is the issue. When I'm testing a skin, I frequently have it at only the highest resolution (i.e. the A skin), and I zoom all around to evaluate it. Moreover, some of the default cars and engines in the game have a 512x512 skin as the A, while others have 1024x1024 as the A skin. Thus, it isn't looking for a certain resolution to load, it's just looking for the A, B, C iterations.

A simple fix, if you feel it is necessary, might be to create an F version by simply copying the E version and renaming it, see if that has any effect.

I have seen the same kind of game crash upon zooming in my mod developing... I had created a scenario which had every building placed in it, to serve as a shape reference, and my mod building would get built here to evaluate it. Then later I built track and was running some mod engines and cars in the same scenario. So it wasn't until I had a very large number of mods placed in a given scenario that the crash developed, and I never learned what was causing it. However, I highly doubt that it was any of the skins (or lack thereof).
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

That's what I thought initially, but logic is pointing me in that direction. I'm going to try the fix you suggested, in fact, I am going to make the missing skins proper so that I can be sure that if it continues, that it's not the cause. At lease I'll know for when I am making the freight cars final.

I'm still working on using the cargo icons but in a larger size on most of the cars. As soon as I get that worked out I should be able to make some new cars to incorporate the idea. This will allow 32x64 logos to appear on the side of the different cars. Can have roadnames etc. An this will allow people to customize scenarios by taking custom logos one step further.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I managed to catch what I perceive to be the problem in some screen shots. The train in question is carrying sand in a coal hopper.

....and man, how'dyou like to be in the passenger carriage with that big black cloud hanging over the train? :)
Attachments
blackspot2.jpg
blackspot1.jpg
Hawk
The Big Dawg

^**lylgh I think one of your cars is on fire. ^**lylgh
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

That's what I thought, but I think it is a vortex that allows the Tycoonatrons to enter our world, and for us to enter theirs.

But I changed the sand cargo and things seem to be working much better.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I just got that fire ball (smoke ball really) near the end of 1914. I was watching a train and tried to rotate the view and puff - up in smoke we go and the game froze.
I'm running on an XP rig. 4 GB RAM with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ AM2 processor.

From previous talk it looks like something is happening around the end of 1914 that may be causing this. I know you said it was due to a car but why at that time, fairly consistently?

For whatever it's worth, I play RT at a screen res of 1280 X 1024, my default desktop res, and I max out all graphics.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm going to upload another patch to remove the offending car. I have no idea what is causing this.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Does that car, or it's product, spawn in 1914, or go through some kind of change in 1914?
Hawk
Orange46
Dispatcher

Hey, I want the burning car.

So far, so good. My newly installed TM and map are working fine and none of the above problems have been noted. I'm currently in 1933, although my railroad isn't very large.

However, I am noticing a problem that I first saw while using 1.06 buildings in 1.04b - namely, they don't seem to work right when it comes to more than one possible output. Apparently, the refinery should be producing both chemicals and petroleum, but after watching it for 5 years or so, it's station never has more than .1 chemical while the refinery has produced at least 3 trainloads (7.5+ cars) of petroleum. Further, the entire map has always had zero loads of chemicals on it. But, business at the refinery has been so good that it was upgraded.

I also tried out, for the first time, a storage facility - namely liquid. It doesn't seem to do much when built in the radius of an oil well, nor when built by the Pet plant. At the station, there are only 1.2 loads being held, and that's probably what would be there without the facility, while at the oil well, it hasn't created enough demand to attract any oil from the other nearby wells. At oil well, the storage unit consumes .6 loads per year but produces nothing, and I don't see any increase in demand at that location for petroleum or chemicals. Apparently, its only purpose, then is to provide a drop point, but, without trying to use it as such,I wonder why it would work. I guess I'll have to try it, if I ever get enough money to spend on such frivolous projects. (My stockholders have been quite annoyed at me, given that I lose money almost every other year.) The only value these liquid facilties have given me is to provide a nice profitable place to deliver sand. It will be a long time before I will need glass.
Quality is Job 1.01
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Richard, have a look at the thread called "Test Map" where we've all gone through problems with the industry buildings and what not.
:salute:
Orange46
Dispatcher

I'm trying to play this map clean - without outside influence. So far, I'm really happy with this, as although I'm doing lousy, there's no time limit and I might be able to brake out of our inancial problems this year. It's fun operating just 7 trains where you're one crash from disaster. I really need to replace my 2 aging Atlantics - oh for some cash. I actually peeked at that post to see if they talked about the chemical problem, then stopped reading when I saw them talking about what to do.

My favorite part of 4 Roads to Berlin was building each of the 4 roads and then going back to fix up the mess that the AI's created. I only wish that I made it so that I had to fix 4 messes, not 3.
Quality is Job 1.01
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Go to this thread and download the latest patch in the first post.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1883

I think Ned has fixed the chemicals issue, at least for the chemical plant.
Hawk