No map

Discuss any bugs or issues with TrainMaster.
punkboy1985

No map Unread post

Hi,

I've recently installed Trainmaster but when I start a campaign every episode has no map...That's what I see: http://i.imagehost.org/0314/bug.jpg
Please help me...
Many thanks to all!

Greetings
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: No map Unread post

Did you download and install the Campaign files from the Trainmaster Main Page?

Not all of the campaign maps have been created yet. Only some are available. I don't recall which ones exactly but I'm sure Ned will pop in soon and help out. :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

You have to download the campaign files zips to get the campaign maps. They aren't all finished though. What hawk wrote while I was responding)

http://hawkdawg.com/cgi-bin/tm-counter/ ... l?file=002

http://hawkdawg.com/cgi-bin/tm-counter/ ... l?file=011

http://hawkdawg.com/cgi-bin/tm-counter/ ... l?file=019

http://hawkdawg.com/cgi-bin/tm-counter/ ... l?file=033
Hawk
The Big Dawg

To add to Ned's post, it might be better if you went to the Trainmaster Main Page to download the files. That way you can check and see what other files are required for Trainmaster to work properly. ;-)
There are some rolling-stock files you will also need.

All required files are listed under the 'Additional Required Files' heading.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I think the following campaigns maps have been completed and are playable after you download all the campaign file parts:
Campaign 1, 2, 5, (maybe 7) and 9.

I wonder if when Ned releases TM 2.0 if the TM page can get an overhaul? As more and more files get added, the page seems more cluttered and confusing.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Blackhawk wrote:I wonder if when Ned releases TM 2.0 if the TM page can get an overhaul? As more and more files get added, the page seems more cluttered and confusing.
Have you seen the page in the past couple of days? I just did an over-haul of it. I think it's a lot more understandable now. :mrgreen:
Hawk
MisterHinton
Hobo

I'm having a related map problem. Instead of no map it's more of a no load map problem. Keep in mind I've reinstalled Trainmaster 5 times now, three completely clean. The instructions seem perfectly clear. 3 files get scrubbed, everything else is overwritted; two carsets to 3d, shortcut to the right exe..yada yada. I initially installed only Campaign 1 (thats old slot 5), Monkey Motors I think, and Campaign 1.1. Trainmaster comes up, the editor works***, the UI works - no problems. I go to the new campaign screen and look at the empty slots (as above the game default fills in a big green patch of dirt; and loads it if you acidentally click the second time, which I did at one point in the middle of the following). No problem. Eventually I put in all 4 camp.maps to test. BTW this is win XP sp3; ati radeon card; cpu intel 4, 1.25 GHz, tons of free hard etc...ok it is a dell laptop...but RT3 itself gives me no trouble.

(***from above* I tried leaving the old maps in but editing them to take out the "campaign" flag; some took it but some crashed the system; thats how I know the editor still works in TrM- and will load something some of the time).

OK, back to slot 5, click and the old USRA video runs out and the map starts to load. About a third of the way in building databases I hear a "clunk"- not just any clunk but the old windows -hey there's a problem- clunk. The loading goes frozen. I alt-tab out and the card says it wants a sheep building (Farm sheep is missing). Well, that doesn't sound right- TrM doesn't have separate sheep farms. Ok I try several things- drag the rt3 farmsheep bldg over (no go) being the most obvious. (BTW: RT3 is in its original folder far away from Trainmaster both under program files). Half the tries I can alt-tab out and see the card, and half it's a hard system lock that even task manager won't break (and broke task manager once requiring a system restore point to fix) !hairpull! .

Long story short- I re-installed very carefully; I won't do the blow-by-blow from here down but it seems that if you don't also scrub the maps folder before install TrM accessed the old campaign maps and brings them up just fine even OVER the newly installed campaign slots (1,2, 5 and 9). But when I scrub the MAP folder and have just the four TrM camp maps in, I get short load errors (about 5% in) that ask consistently for the Spain.gmp map. **!!!** (are you sure it doesn't run the old maps? It wants too, it's the new ones it doesn't like I guess?)

I am now going to have some beer, go to sleep, and restart fresh tomorrow with another clean scrub. I've just pulled the instructions from the printer (identical with the previous sets) so I'm not hopeful. I will test with one campaign map at a time instead of several. I am downloading scenario maps to see if this is just a campaign map problem and will try those too. I will probably also have more beer. Then I will just play RT3...thoughts?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just curious, and maybe a redundant question, but have you installed all of the required rolling-stock found on the TM download page?

'Course that wouldn't explain the sheep farm issue. **!!!**
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I would try a clean install of TM then see if a scenario map works. The first released map for TM was Persian Electric and it's a good way to get used to the different industrial system in the game. If a scenario loads then most likely TM was installed correctly. Then follow whatever steps were in the campaign file download and try them out. It has been awhile since I've used that so I can't remember what exactly it says to do.

If a scenario map works, and you still can't get the campaign maps to work there is another option you could try. It's not the ideal solution, but it is what I do on my older computer where I don't have much free space to install all the campaign files. You can load the new TM campaign map in the editor, and then uncheck the box in the editor where it says "Campaign Map" and save the map. Then load the map as a scenario and play it. If you try to play a map like this remember that Campaign maps can only be played on easy, medium, and hard difficulty, so ignore the expert difficulty choice that you can play the map in as a scenario.
MisterHinton
Hobo

Hawk wrote:Just curious, and maybe a redundant question, but have you installed all of the required rolling-stock found on the TM download page?

'Course that wouldn't explain the sheep farm issue. **!!!**
I got the default blue and the canadian set; and since I didn't say, that engine file patch too. Thanks for asking; I'm making an idiot check-checklist for tomorrow.

Also- thanks Blackhawk- for suggesting a benchmark scenerio to use: I'll grab Persian Electric right now. That's -30-

!$th_u$!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Everything to me sounds like you aren't running the proper exe file. But then, the campaing videos wouldn't work. The campaign files have to be installed in order, btw. Just in case.

If a map has an industry placed on it that isn't in TM, then the message is that it is looking for that industry. You can't just add that industry to TM because the cargo won't be in TM and the game will crash.
punkboy1985

Ok...now all works well
Thanks to all! {,0,}
MisterHinton
Hobo

OK, here are the results. Being a long day and too late to start a clean reinstall (but anxious to get on with something) I decided nothing could hurt what I had in there so I pulled Persia Electric into the borked copy and lo-and-behold it ran perfectly! All four campaigns ran as scenerios with the campaign flag unchecked (but no new video- the old ones...huh?). These were duplicates under thier own names; the ones left in place as campaign still wouldn't run. I'm thinking a video configuration problem: card (it is a laptop after all) or files or both; although I had already done the usual texture, size, quality downgrades in prior tests. I got one more Data Problem card:"Unable to find building type 'Farm Sheep' "; the rest were all "File Error opening 'map\s Spain.GMP' " again. I checked the error log file and got this (cut and paste actual copy):

------------------

2k, Time: 70 SGameHeader
0k, Time: 100 mptBuildingCategoryAvailable
0k, Time: 311 WorldMapSave
0k, Time: 311 City blocking
0k, Time: 321 Detail maps
0k, Time: 321 SubCell/Cell/Vertex/Cluster
0k, Time: 361 EconomyZone
0k, Time: 361 gptGameMap
0k, Time: 371 gptGameCamera
0k, Time: 391 gpdCargoTypeDB
0k, Time: 401 gpdBuildingTypeDB
0k, Time: 421 buildingDB flexarray
0k, Time: 421 buildingDB write extra
0k, Time: 421 gpdBuildingDB
0k, Time: 431 gpdMicroLoadDB
0k, Time: 441 gpdStationDB
0k, Time: 461 gpdCarDB
0k, Time: 481 gpdTrainDB
0k, Time: 511 gpdCompanyDB
0k, Time: 531 gpdTrackDB
0k, Time: 561 gpdTrackLineDB
0k, Time: 581 gpdPlayerDB
0k, Time: 601 gpdLabelDB
0k, Time: 631 gpdParticleObjectDB
0k, Time: 651 gpdCityDB
0k, Time: 681 gpdTerritoryDB
0k, Time: 681 gpdAirplaneDB
0k, Time: 701 gpdEventDB
File error opening 'maps\s Spain.gmp'

This sequence looked familiar- same as in language file lines 388-406; the next line of which is
407 "Updating Weather..."
(followed by the format line for the error log)

A weather-check crab in this game says video problem to my ear. Your video files (that distinctive 19,071KB form of the placeholders) stands right out (plus the two barrels of monkeys) so that wasn't the issue, they were in. They all ran fine on my old bink player, so file corruption is probably ruled out for them at least.

Anyway- the loop shouldn't call for a file reload at that point; I'm thinking the call is a default of some kind - if you recall between RT2 and 3 the alpha first shown off at conventions was the spain map with the train running under a thunderstorm; this later became the Spanish Mainline map I believe. I think this is just a default call when it doesn't know what else to say. I tested this by renaming a map Spain.gmp and it did not reload on error (then again I didn't try it with the campaign box checked, but I assume the "\s" toggle is a "scenerio" reference). This may just be a generic cry for help at this point.

To make a long story short, next day (yesterday) I do the re-install, clean again (so now I have folders for RT3, Trainmaster, Trainmasterborked, and Trainmasterborked2). I won't do a blow-by-blow because, when I tried it, it worked! The campaigns run off the campaign screen as expected. The pre-load videos (yours) all work.

The ONLY way that I diverged from your standard instructions: in addition to Building, Cargo and Engine Types, I also wiped the map file BEFORE starting. I have no explanation as to why that would do it. I'm going through the separate files and making a comparison of file sizes; I'm hoping to find download corruption or (the gods forfend) a user install mistake.

My conclusion so far - to be proved if it goes through another such spell, is that it may be a hardware config problem with something in the campaign interface; lots of publishers have lists of "unsupported cards" that wont work, or will for while. Nothing you can do about it in that case. At some point a poll of your users for configuartions, video equipment, etc. that have had problems, might turn up some usefull patterns. I wouldn't give it a high spot on your list though.

Thanks for the help guys. It's appreciated.

PS->Ned; the very first time through I think I DID put 1.1 in before 1. I may also have had the RT3 (4g) exe in for run 3 or 4 (I wiped those and don't have the files to check; but at one point I put a new campaign map into RT3 to see what would happened (+yes, altered LNG file line to see it)- it asked for spain again. I do recall wondering if I had a partial download corruption when I saw how much smaller the TrM exe is than the original (4M), and started second guessing, but I was getting pretty burned at that point. My bad. That doesn't explain the rest though. Still looking but for now I'm taking some time off to enjoy. (0!!0)
nedfumpkin
CEO

Okay, first off, Spain.gmp is the map that gets loaded if a campaign map is missing. It is hard coded in the RT3 exe file, but not for Trainmaster, that was changed to either CA01 or CA05. So this tells me that you aren't using the proper exe file. This is why you are getting the old campaign stuff too. I renamed all the campaign maps in the exe to all be CA01 - CA16. So this needs to be fixed first and foremost.

Here is my suggestion....trash the TM install you have now. Save anything you downloaded though.

If using Vista, make sure you always run as administrator.

Take a clean fresh copy of your RT3 1.05 installation, don't use a 1.06. If on Vista, the defailt directory is /program files (x86)/Trainmaster/

Otherwise, install fresh from CD, patch the CtoC.

Then download and install the MSI file here:

http://hawkdawg.com/zips/rt3/tm/Trainmaster_1_1.zip (say thank you to Reto)

Next, install campaign files in order.

Install any scenario maps.

Go Railroading.

I would say to just replace the exe file, but chances are there may be other problems with your installation, so best follow the steps above. But, on the off chance it is just a problem with the exe, then probably if you are on Vista you didn't unzip as administrator and so it wouldn't let you overwrite the exe file. Delete the RT3.exe file you have now, and just unzip that file from the install zips you used. Also, make sure your shortcut is pointing to the right folders.
j484fan
Watchman

Okay, there is a lot of info in this topic, so even though already posted, I may be missing something. I am willing to learn, but kind of slow to learning all this file transferring stuff. The first attempt at TM was not working, yet before I deleted them any gmp files from CtC or 1.05 did work. Nothing for TM has so far at all, and I even looked in the editor to see if I could find them there, no success there either. I went in and wiped all the engine, building and car files as well as map files and DL all that stuff from TM again, in order and still no luck.

Sorry as I said, I may be a little slow with this stuff, but just don't get what I am doing wrong. If I followed the install instructions, what is the problem? I followed them to the letter both times.

And yes I did the express and troop car files as well as the TM building files.
Blackhawk
CEO

Start with a 1.05 install that works, then if you are having difficulty trying to install the game manually I would use the msi file to install it. http://www.jos.si/_wichtig/tmaddone.msi That's the english version I believe. I think over on Molse's website there may be a german version msi file as well.

Once that is installed, download the TM 1.1 patch. Install that. Next download a TM map, and try it and see if it works correctly (showing TM industries rather than RT3 industries) After that then you may want to install the campaign files. But it'd take it one step at a time and make sure you have a working copy of TM before installing the TM campaign files.
j484fan
Watchman

YES! I have a working version of TM! :-D thanks Blackhawk, by the way first one I'm trying is your juice train map, looks great, I see I will have to DL the CSX locos though, unless they do show up later. Gonna have to try that Persian map though too. Don't think my PC will handle the China map. And I'm going to have to reread your strategy ideas as well. This is very different from RT3. But looks to be a lot of fun.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Juice Train is a really good map, but you might want to start with Persian Electric since it is a sort of intro map that let's you get a feel for what TM is about and how the cargo works. This will give you the leg up that you need for Juice Train.
Blackhawk
CEO

Indeed I'll 2nd that. Persian Electric is a good starter map at getting you used to agricultural communities and the new industrial system. Juice Train is probably less forgiving as part of the challenge of the map is dealing with a limited supply of certain goods, and knowing which industries work with each other/are needed for each other is important as there is probably less "guidance" than Persian Electric.

If you haven't done it yet, you'll want to download the industry supply guide for TM as well. Even with as much as I've played TM, I still refer back to it frequently.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I still refer to the supply chain guide! It's worth taking to work and risking printing it on company printers. :)