Monkey Business (beta available for testing)

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Monkey Business (beta available for testing) Unread post

The problem I have run into is that you have petroleum as a cargo, but you don't have oil. Without oil the ability to produce pretroleum is gone, and chemicals are also significantly reduced. Oil can be had from either an oil well which increases its production with machinery, or from a tar pit which produces but one load per year.

Also, change the character for George F Train to Yousaf Raza Gilani. That plyer was originally included because I was going to do a different scenario for the New Orient Express, but since most of it is in Iran, I am making that scenario instead, and so I am in the process of changing the Yousaf Raza Gilani player to another chimpanzee. I'm still looking for a picture of a chimp with a turban on. BTW...you can get the full player list here...download/file.php?id=899
nedfumpkin
CEO

One more thing...I noticed you had the post office as buildable in the industry list. That's a municipal building that is spawned with the others depending on the circumstances of the game. The function of the post office as a station building are not accomplshed by the Railroad Office.
edbangor
Dispatcher

nedfumpkin wrote:The problem I have run into is that you have petroleum as a cargo, but you don't have oil. Without oil the ability to produce pretroleum is gone, and chemicals are also significantly reduced. Oil can be had from either an oil well which increases its production with machinery, or from a tar pit which produces but one load per year.

Also, change the character for George F Train to Yousaf Raza Gilani. That plyer was originally included because I was going to do a different scenario for the New Orient Express, but since most of it is in Iran, I am making that scenario instead, and so I am in the process of changing the Yousaf Raza Gilani player to another chimpanzee. I'm still looking for a picture of a chimp with a turban on. BTW...you can get the full player list here...download/file.php?id=899
Oil should be there, as it was on all my test plays although it is, along with most of hte other minerals to spawn in various parts (regions) of the map

Erm, have just checked and somewhere down the line both Oil Well and Tar pit have been turned off. How did that happen?
Although one issue I came across - an RT3 map edito issue not a Train master one - is that if you click on the Overall industry page too much the software seems to assume you meant "Disable all" which can be really annoying... !hairpull!

That's probably how post office came switched on... well it's off now.
I've also changed the 'human' charector.
Last edited by edbangor on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
nedfumpkin
CEO

You left out machinery this time by not including the machiner shop.

Also, a note...the commune allows you to buy it, this is wrong and will be corrected.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Well this is getting annoying, it seems every time I turn an industry on another one gets turned off (and always an important one).
Is there a limit to how many can be active at once? **!!!**
Anyway, fixed it (again)
Attachments
monkey business(beta).rar
(828.04 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

This seems new to the introduction of the 1.06 exe file. It might have been from before, but I never noticed it.

One thing I am thinking about doing if I can is to return the industry settings to before so that municipal buildings can't be built.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've started playing the scenario...I'm playing on expert. I've got a lumber mill and a train feeding it from a logging camp...that's all so far...just starting to make money so we'll see from here.

PS...the map file should be named as CA09.gmp and should be saved as a campaign scenario when it is all done.
edbangor
Dispatcher

nedfumpkin wrote:I've started playing the scenario...I'm playing on expert. I've got a lumber mill and a train feeding it from a logging camp...that's all so far...just starting to make money so we'll see from here.
Well you're on the right track, as that's the first thing I always did, as well, followed by a meat packing plant, but don't take too long...... that's all I'm saying.... at least until I right a full stratagy.... :lol:
nedfumpkin wrote:PS...the map file should be named as CA09.gmp and should be saved as a campaign scenario when it is all done.
Probably best to remind me about that once I've done the painting, as I'm sure to forget.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Anyone got anything to say.... or dare I think that the map actually works in it's current form... **!!!**
nedfumpkin
CEO

My suggestion right now is to hold off for a bit before finishing the map. Two reasons...since you map relies on industries a lot, you will want to wait for the new industries I am adding...Bottling Plant, Candy Factory so far. At the same time, if all goes well, the way the overal industry set up works will be changed, and I am not sure if this will affect maps that are complete. So best to let me finish up a few things over the next few days.

As soon as I have the industry files completed, I'll post them.
edbangor
Dispatcher

nedfumpkin wrote:My suggestion right now is to hold off for a bit before finishing the map. Two reasons...since you map relies on industries a lot, you will want to wait for the new industries I am adding...Bottling Plant, Candy Factory so far. At the same time, if all goes well, the way the overal industry set up works will be changed, and I am not sure if this will affect maps that are complete. So best to let me finish up a few things over the next few days.

As soon as I have the industry files completed, I'll post them.
More industries.... okay... {,0,}

Anyway, not a problem as I'm in the final stages of testing "thehub2: Military" for RRT3 1.06 although I do have another idea for a TM scenario... ;-)
nedfumpkin
CEO

The pre-beta added the Publishing House, and it's not in the docs, but in order to make the cargo display work right, I've had to reconfigure a bunch of industries and split some apart. So here's what is coming....

Bottling Plant - makes juices from produce in glass bottles, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, then tetra paks.

Creamery - Makes food from milk, milk, sugar and paper, and milk, produce and paper (ice cream/yogurt)

Food Processor (changed) makes food from meat, produce and aluminum, then meat, produce and plastic (tv dinners/microwave junk)

Candy Factory - makes food from gum, sugar, paper, and sugar, produce, paper, and then sugar produce plastic. (chewing gum, ju jubes)

-------

I still have to work out the industry pricing, and now I have to make a few buildings since these are all splits from the food processor and cannery. Not a big deal, and for now they are sharing buildings.

I'm just about finished all the cargo display fixes. Now it will be possible to determine the cargo recipe for all the industries. I'll do the best I can on the other buildings, but the agri-communities will always be messed up from what I can tell now, but I won't give up.
edbangor
Dispatcher

In theory none of those additions should effect, directly, the industry chains needed in Monkey Business so should effect the scenario too much and I may not activate them for that reason so as not to clog up things (although I might do for the same reason :twisted: )

BTW: I guess it's too late now, but I guess there's nothing you can do about having the option in the edior to turn off suspension bridges and tunnels completely or aren't you working on the editor directly.
I know you can use events to increase prices for both, but while that works (in a way) for tunnels, when you do it for bridges, it also increases the price of river crossings. Plus for both, the AI's often ignore the overpricing and build them anyway, landing themselves with rediculous depts that will drive them bust in a year or so.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It's easy to disable suspension bridges. Just have your scenario end before 1895. ^**lylgh
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:It's easy to disable suspension bridges. Just have your scenario end before 1895. ^**lylgh
Yes, thanks for your 'help' Hawk. :roll:

Although that is one option I have considered for the next TM sceneario, although it will depend on what 'slots' Ned has left in his campaign list (I know there was a list of these somewhere but can't find it now!)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

edbangor wrote:Yes, thanks for your 'help' Hawk. :roll:
I just couldn't resist that bit of witticism. :mrgreen:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've just edited the page with the campaign lists...it's here: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2047&p=19521#p19521

If you want to do aother campaign map, there are some openings available in every century. At the same time, you can still make a stand alone scenarion. Campaign maps will be coming later as a separate zip file. I still have to make the graphics and stuff for the campaign rooms.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Here's a copy of the work in progress for the intro video for this campaing scenario...still lots to do...the voice over is none other than our Hawk. :)
Attachments

[The extension wmv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

edbangor
Dispatcher

Love the video Ned, and Hawk, you have a great face for radio... I mean a great voice..!*th_up*!

Mind you, I did realise as I was painting the map this afternoon, that all the actual 'monkeys' used in both the map, and now the video are actually apes... so maybe we should all start again ^**lylgh

Oh and yes, that does mean I've finished the painting. Just need to add the trees, rocks and other bits and peices and then I'm actually done. ::!**!

Then I plan to do the further, actaully earlier, adventures of the Monkey (apes) scenario.

Here's an advance peek
RT3_12_15_09__20_04_19.jpg
Last edited by edbangor on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

edbangor wrote:Hawk, you have a great fave for radio...
Fave? What the heck does that mean? ^**lylgh
edbangor wrote:I mean a great voice..!*th_up*!

Thanks Graham. :mrgreen:
edbangor wrote:Mind you, I did realise as I was painting the map this afternoon, that all the actual 'monkeys' used in both the map, and now the video are actually apes... so maybe we should all start again ^**lylgh
Ape Business just doesn't have the same ring to it. ^**lylgh
Hawk