Monkey Motors

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Monkey Motors Unread post

I'm currently finishing up on a new scenario but am having a highly anoying time with the editor as it won't let me turn off some of the industries and keeps resetting them to 'on'.

Due to the nature of the scenario I'm building I only need 46 of the 98 industries to be active - several of these NEED to be unbuildable by the player.
So, as I've always done before, I turned off those I didn't want in the Industry (Overall) tab of the editor, before returning tothe map screen. Later when I checked they were still turned off. All well and good.
However...

Whenever I save the map, and return to the Industry (Overall) tab NINE industries have become active again (total now being 55), and this happens every time.
Interestingly this includes all the industries I've pre-built (ie placed) on the map and which I don't want the player to build (which is why I disabled them of course), and the Legislature building (also pre-placed).
This only happens when the map is saved.

This didn't happen with "Monkey Business" although I don't think I had anything turned off there so it wouldn't have.

Anyone know a way around this as with those industries always on, the scenario is pointless. !hairpull!
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
edbangor
Dispatcher

Re: Monkey Motors Unread post

Okay I've tried a few experiments - including reinstalling TM pre-beta, testing and then patching back up to Beta2.

It seems that any industry placed in the editor on the map, automatically gets turned on in the INdustry (overall) list the moment you save the map.

Deleting all the editor placed building, and then switching them off in the Industry (overal) list, and the stayed switched off upon saving.
However, as soon as one is placed again (in the editor) at the next save it turns itself back on again in the Industry overall list.

There must be a way around this as it makes placing them in the editor pointless, as being switched on the player can then, also build them.

EDIT: Latest test.. using the Quick Save button while displaying the Industry (Overal) page.
Result. The same. The IO page doesn't change while you look at it, but as soon as you go to another and then come back, all the (placed) industries have turned themselves back on again. !hairpull!

The only option I can think off is to disable, completely the player's ability to build industries in the Special Conditions tab, and just have everything (other than those i've place) spawn which isn't what I wanted at all, but seems to be the only way.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Pre-beta? Uh...make sure you have the Beta 2 files installed. There've been changes to the exe that may have an effect on what you are doing.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

See this thread. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2279
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Guys, what I meant was, in order to check to see if the effect was caused by Beta2 - which I was working in - I did a fresh install of TM right from the start - well Pre-beta which was the oldest version I downloaded - testing as each version was installed, to see if the problem still happened (it did), therefore rulling out that it was a recent problem.

However, it could still be a TM problem as it doesn't happen with RT3 (any version) although I only checked in 1.06 as that's all I have.

Anyway, although, problem, still exsists, but I've found a way around it, as mentioned above, although that has meant I've had to go back to basics a bit ono the scenario as I've had to rebalance the industry chain so it won't be ready before the trains get put away for the holidays....
nedfumpkin
CEO

Something else to look at is if you disable an industry, but use the add building effect to place one at start up, and see what happens there. Although I still haven't figure out how to extend the list of industries, and it's not affected by the overall industry list.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Yes, indeed, Ned, that should be another way around the problem.
At least I assume it is as I've not tired it.

I did a test run of the scenario last night and it would seem to work although I need to do a bit of balancing still on the industries and place a few others to keep things going as I was only able to get YardSwitcher :oops:
edbangor
Dispatcher

The technical and game play side of the map is now finished.
Now just the painting to be done and then it will be sent to Ned to become part of the TM campaign. ::!**!
edbangor
Dispatcher

Monkey Motors has now been competed and submitted to Ned, for packaging....

Now I'm free to play other peoples TM scenarios... :lol: