Guide to converting maps from RRT3 into TM.

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Guide to converting maps from RRT3 into TM. Unread post

When I was converting my two Thehub maps from RRT3 (1.06) into Trainmaster I made a load of notes of the things I was doing.

So, in order to try and get someone else to make some maps - come on it has be be someone else's turn by now as I've already posted three, with two more to come! - I thought I'd clean them up and post them as a guide on how to convert maps, with some hopefully helpfull hints included as an 'unofficial' guide to help anyone else who is thinking of doing the same at least until NED has time to do a more official one.

I've attached both RTF and TXT versions so you can pick whatever works best for you.
The text is the same in both, but the layout in the RTF will make it easier to read.

Please feel free to point out anything you think should be added, or changed.
Attachments
Converting RRt3 Maps to TM.txt
(11.62 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Converting RRt3 Maps to TM.rtf
(18.03 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
El Moichi
Watchman

Re: Guide to converting maps from RRT3 into TM. Unread post

That´s great, Ed. Thank you for these notes and hints. !*th_up*!

I hope that Lama might use them some day...... :oops: :roll: 8-)
Blackhawk
CEO

Thanks for the guide. Many things I've ran into my self. Especially this one:
Warning: Repeatedly clicking on the INDUSTRY (OVERALL) menu can, sometimes cause everything to become unchecked. This is not a TM issue but a RRT3 one. Just be sure to save the scenario before (and after) making any detailed changes
Seems for me I'll set everything the way I want and then go to hit exit but instead it things I hit whatever the button is above exit.. All industry on or all off. So after doing that repeatedly to myself I think I've finally caught on to just change to a different part of the editor like the event writing and then hit exit so I don't have to redo it all again and again. !hairpull!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

El Moichi wrote:I hope that Lama might use them some day...... :oops: :roll: 8-)
Unless you know something I don't, Lama has been missing in action for a couple of years now.
Molse asked me a while back if I'd heard from him, or was it me asking Molse? Anyway, neither one of us have heard from him for quite some time.
According to the forum stats he stopped by here in March of '09 but didn't read the PM I sent him in '07 and didn't post anything.
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Blackhawk wrote:Seems for me I'll set everything the way I want and then go to hit exit but instead it things I hit whatever the button is above exit.. All industry on or all off. So after doing that repeatedly to myself I think I've finally caught on to just change to a different part of the editor like the event writing and then hit exit so I don't have to redo it all again and again. !hairpull!
Indeed, it seems that clicking anywhere on the Industry (Overall) page, other than directly on a button or check boxs, the editor seems to count as a click on "disable all", which is highly annoying.
El Moichi
Watchman

Regarding the missing RailYardStructures and Terrain Levellers, you wrote the following @ the "Hub" thread:
edbangor wrote:However, I would guess that since TheHub1 was original a RT3 map, created before I installed the add on structures, they don't appear in this version for that reason.
However, they will be there for theHub2, when I've finished converting that, in a few days. (I need to rework the plot slightly!)
Please explain how to avoid vanishing RailYardStructures by using "old" RRT3 maps as part of your "converting guide". The RailYardStructures are an important (and necessary) part of Trainmaster.

I guess that many people will jump in and create maps for TM on the basis of former RRT3 maps. I just have been trying the "Juice Train" map by Blackhawk. I like the idea behind, this map excites me. But I miss the structures again.

!**appl**!
Blackhawk
CEO

El Moichi wrote:Regarding the missing RailYardStructures and Terrain Levellers, you wrote the following @ the "Hub" thread:
edbangor wrote:However, I would guess that since TheHub1 was original a RT3 map, created before I installed the add on structures, they don't appear in this version for that reason.
However, they will be there for theHub2, when I've finished converting that, in a few days. (I need to rework the plot slightly!)
Please explain how to avoid vanishing RailYardStructures by using "old" RRT3 maps as part of your "converting guide". The RailYardStructures are an important (and necessary) part of Trainmaster.

I guess that many people will jump in and create maps for TM on the basis of former RRT3 maps. I just have been trying the "Juice Train" map by Blackhawk. I like the idea behind, this map excites me. But I miss the structures again.

!**appl**!
Thanks for noticing that. I did not beta test the map I released so I did not notice those structures did not appear. They did appear in the versions I had tested so I went back into the editor and hit "enabled all" the industries and then turned off the industries I definitely didn't want in my scenario. I saved that version and then went to play test it and the railyard structures appeared this time. (Oddly I don't remember touching the industry editor between the version I beta tested and the version I released yet the industries went from 68 enabled to 55-58 enabled, I can't remember the exact number.) So my guess is that somehow they get turned off in the industry editor or turning off certain industries has the side effect of also turning off Railyard Structures.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm not sure what is going on with them. If you start a map from scratch, they are all there. If you have a previous map, they may or may not show up. As soon as it is figured out, I'll post it.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Regarding the appearance (or not) of the railyard structures in converted maps, I didn't mention it as I don't know why they appear of not.
As I pointed out in thehub thread/s in TheHub1 they didn't mak the transfer but they did in thehub2.
Yet both those scenarios were created from the self-same RRT3 map, so it just doesn't make any sense.
Still now ned is on the case I'm sure it will be solved soon (no pressure Ned!) and then I'll add it to the guide.
Lama
Brakeman

El Moichi wrote:I hope that Lama might use them some day...... :oops: :roll: 8-)
Whoa! I just stopped by this thread because I was looking to convert some of my old maps to TM, and it looks like you already are way ahead of me. :-P

Stop reading my mind. ;-)

Anyway, sorry I disappeared so abruptly. See my signature for explanation.
Developer for Magna Mundi, a historical strategy game to be published in early 2012.
El Moichi
Watchman

The German TM version contains a translated version of this guide, including one or two additional hints and a chart containing the AI player characters in TM. :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

How come the extra stuff isn't in the English version?
Hawk
El Moichi
Watchman

Hawk wrote:How come the extra stuff isn't in the English version?
This should be an incentive for you to learn German... ^**lylgh

There was a passage about disabling/enabling industry buildings in the game and as I had recently played Blackhawk´s “Juice Train” map before translating, I thougt it would be a helpful information for map makers that they can both disable the possibility to build industry for players and let some buildings appear by event in the game, so I added this in a footnote.

In addition, Ned had made a chart with the AI characters in TM, and I found out that he only changed their names and faces, but not their “abilities”, so I listed up a comparison of RT3 and TM AI players. Someone who has made a RT3 map with certain AI characters could now choose the “same” characters (regarding the "abilities") as in RT3 when converting the map into a TM map.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

El Moichi wrote:This should be an incentive for you to learn German... ^**lylgh
I can read German, with a little help - known as Google Translate. ^**lylgh

You know the old saying though; "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". :mrgreen:
Hawk
El Moichi
Watchman

Hawk wrote:You know the old saying though; "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". :mrgreen:
I only know the saying "Don´t wake sleeping dogs"... :-D :-D
Konvertierung von RT3-Szenarien für Trainmaster.pdf
(525.1 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
Here´s the German version, containing the AI character table which can be understood by everyone, I hope.

Perhaps Lama (and others) might add their own experiences to this guide.