Monopoly (TM)

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Monopoly (TM) Unread post

Here's the very first draft of the Monopoly map I am working on. I've only tested it very briefly, but if anyone wants to have a look and see how it works, you are free.

Basically the map is a Monopoly board and you have to connect all the properties. Each set of properties is a territory and you have to buy access to it. There are four railroads, you have to be the last one.

There are Chance cards and Community Chest cards. I've set up a system to randomize them, and it seems to be working. A card will only be drawn once. Different things can happen when you draw a card. You can also pay to not play it.

Anyways...if anyone wants to check it out....let me know if something doesn't work right.

I still haven't painted the map...so just imagine the colours. Also, there's no trees. :)
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Monopoly (TM) Unread post

After a quick scan through in the editor these are things I came across. I'd play the map but on this computer I still have a beta version of TM installed, and it loads maps very slowly so I'm out of commission for a few days.

Port Penn - Meat Paching = Meat Packing
C3 - raiting = rating
C9 - It took me awhile to figure it out, the way the choices are phrased. Rather than: Bail me out 1 month for 50k, maybe it would be better, Bail me out after 2 months for 50k. or Post Bail after 2 months for 50k
Bail me out 3 months for 250k could be Post bail immediately for 250k. The way its written now its fine, it just made me have to look at it and think about it for a few seconds and I assumed the most expensive option would mean I'd get out faster.
C11 - Acess = Access
C12 - You choice = Your choice?? [Unless it was meant to be you choice as it occurs again in another message]
C17 - derease = decrease
C19 - Extra space before Green. & You choice = Your choice??
C20 - See C9 above

CC9 - uncled = uncle
CC10 - extra space after Rubber Factory
CC14 - See C9

Lose - the effect is set to Trainmaster win, not the hobo lose event

Trainmaster - the condition is set that player cash is <= 0. To have a debt free player shouldn't that be player cash >= 0 ?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks for being a second set of eyes...as you can tell, mine don't work so well.

I'll make the corrections tonight.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've made all the corrections...so here's the map again in case anyone wants to try it out. I won't likely get to it before the weekend.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I've done some more work on this map and also made it a campaign map. It's is going to be CA07...the seventh campaign map. It plays from the campaign rooms now because stock ownership changes when a map is a campaign.

Everything should be working.. I'm not sure how I will paint the map yet.

Basically it is a Monopoly board and you have to connect all the properties, own all four railroads, and be debt free. I set it as a 30 year map.

You'll also have Chance and Community Chest cards. Currently there are 21 cards, if more are needed I will add some.

Enjoy.
Blackhawk
CEO

I was curious how the map would look if it was painted like an actual monopoly board so I painted 1 side of the map white and then outlined the properties. And even attempted to draw a little train and write "GO" with the arrow. Which I'm not entirely thrilled with the "GO" but it's acceptable. Painting diagonal lines isn't the easiest to do. Then I used the 2 different beach looks, as I think filling all the land with "white" would be far too bright of a map. Alternatively maybe keeping that area green grass, and then using the beach shades for the territories above the Railroad properties would be another way to go. Or use the darker beach for the "dead" territory that isn't really used, and use the lighter beach territory for the spot above the railroad properties.

Well I'll stop rambling and I don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes or anything related to how you paint the map. So I'll just post what I did and leave it at that.
Attachments
m7.rar
(774.52 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

I did think about doing the map like a Monopoly Board, but I am more inclining to keeping most of it green....sort of where you have white, I would keep it green....mostly because there are trees. Another idea is to just use different terrains and coloured outlines of the properties...not sure.

But now that I have seen what it would look like as a Monopoly board...I am more inclined to a combination rather than a replica. I probably won't get to painting untl next week since it needs a alot of testing to make sure it works right.
Blackhawk
CEO

Well I figured I'd take a break from working on my next map and test out this map. I'm 5 years in and still havent progressed passed Baltic Ave. But I do own a lumber mill that I built in Mediterranean Avenue, and the paper mill in Community Chest. I don't own much stock, but I did make some money by short selling a AI railroad which recently declared bankruptcy.

I just noticed a typo that I didn't see before:
The property Mediteranean Avenue should have to R's in it. (Mediterranean Avenue)
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm making some changes to the map so that the AI does a bit better. I played 5 years and 2 still hadn't laid track. I''ve laid their track for them. They seem to be doing better too...

I've also increased the likelihood that the lumber mill appears on the CC card. That really makes a difference.
nedfumpkin
CEO

This version seems to be working better. Although, I should point out that this is a difficult map...I may have to extend the time if necessary.
Blackhawk
CEO

I haven't tried the newest version but after 11 years I finally connected from GO to JAIL. In the community chest I built a paper mill, textile mill, and bought the flour mill. Then in Oriental Ave I built a creamery. I also bought a bakery in Mediterrenean Ave, but my textiles at GO don't seem to want to transform into sugar at a rate that was realistic to sustain the bakery, so that was a waste of money. I later got the lumber mill card that made a mill pop up in Baltic Ave, which is now hurting my upgraded lumber mill profits in Mediterranean Ave. At one point I had to reload after the logging camp I was using in Mediterrenean Ave disappeared.
nedfumpkin
CEO

The new version is working better, although I am really thinking about making this a 40 year map...ten years per side.

At 8 years I have Go connected to Jail...The AI companies are doing better too.

Edit....here it is as a 40 year map, also, I've increased some of the payouts from the cards.
Attachments
Monopoly(TM).zip
(942.36 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Played this one last night and this morning and made Gold on Expert in 1938. It was slow going at first and took a couple of tries to make some money in the first few years. You really have to look at the cargo overlay to see how to make the most profit with the least investment in the early years. I really like the concept and it was a fun scenario, although once I got going it was pretty much a breeze to make Gold. Hotels paid off bigtime, especially toward the end of the game when they were only $10K each to build. Other industries were likewise very cheap; Textile mills next to Wool/Cotton/Hemp sources were good producers.

One typo I found was in the event that creates a Meat Packing plant: the dialog says a meat "pacher" has been built, but should say meat "packer".
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks for the review. I realize that the game is about getting a good start, and that's where the challenge is. I left it at 40 years just to give people a chance to explore different ideas.

As I indicated, I am going to make another version of this map as a campaign scenario, it will be much more difficult though, and the cards you draw will have much more dramatic effects. Same concept though.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Just finished playing this and pretty much agree with everything Wolverine@MSU said.

The starting years can be a bit tricky but once you're past that, it pretty much plays itself.

Love the concept of the scenario, and the chance cards although thing that the charge for avoiding these is probably too low, especially at the end of the game.

Also it might make things more tricky in the later stages if there was some point to connecting to the port regions as I pretty much ignored these, and, the same for most of the carded sections as once the money is flowing its easier to build track straight through them and therefore avoid the charages. That can be avoided by sticking a city in them and making that part of the total needed for the win or my making it a requirement to connect and run the industries that are placed by the editor.

The one downside is that there is little incentive to build industries once you've connected the bottom section of the map and made that profitable as, in my case, that generated more then enough income to fund the remaining building, and take over of the other railroads.

Just to repeat, love the concept of the scenario and the fact that having so many of the cards appearing, make for a interesting game, especially of which card will appear can be, somehow randomised (I didn't look in the editor so don't know how you set them up, Ned!)

Anyway, I got Gold in 1945 so slower than wolfie, but then I've not played TM for some months (still waiting suggestions on my Warrington Wire test map [hint-hint])
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks for the comments. I actually agree with what's been written because my experiences were the same. That's why I decided to make this version a scenario so that it isn't too difficult for novice players. The campaign version is going to be considerably tougher and the card decks will be more randomized. Curious? Did anyone make it through the decks and get the And nothing happened card? Just wondering if there are enough cards. I plan on making more, and have them have significant impacts...like the ability to ruin you.

My plans are to play Warrington Wire as soon as I get a chance. Tons to do these days.
retrebuti0n
Cat

Hi I am trying to convert "MonopolyTM" to the English board only one problem so far in some places I can't change the place names things like rollovers and place names in reports, can you help. One other thing is there a better editor available for RRT3 or Trainmaster than the one that comes with version 1.0
steve
Hawk
The Big Dawg

How did you install TM if you're still running RT3 V-1?
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk, I would assume that Steve means Version 1 of TrainMaster.

Steve, Welcome! To anwer your question, there is only the one editor for RT3 and TM. This editor isn't completely user friendly, but a fair bit better than the editor for the previous game in this "series": RTII. Using it is still tedious, but almost intuitive.

What you are trying to do doesn't sound too difficult. The classic way to do this would be to manually scan the message text for all the events. Or, if you are sure you know which events contain the name you want to replace, just look through those. When you find an old name, manually replace it with the new one. Please be aware that using the arrow keys will enable the event message text to be scrolled, so you must make sure you can look at all of it.

There is another quick way using the hex editor and search and replace. As long as we are replacing specific things like names, it's theoretically possible. If you say exactly what you want, I would be willing to see if I can do it this way. (I am unfamiliar with the English board).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You can also click inside of any text box in the editor, hit Ctrl+c to copy, then open Notepad and hit Ctrl+v to paste. That way you can see every bit of text from that text box, and can edit it.
When you're done editing, delete all text in the editor text box, then - in Notepad - hit Ctrl+c to copy then Ctrl+v to paste in the editor text box.

No hex editor needed this way.
Hawk