European Union

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

European Union Unread post

At last, I'm getting around to making a new Trainmaster scenario. It's not actually new but it's based on my own RT2 scenario European Union and the map is created by Cookiemonster from Molse's German forum. If you've still got RT2, have a look at the original game to see what it's like. CM's map is much better and bigger so there's a lot more scope.

It will have all the European Union countries - or at least as many as the game permits, which is 23 - and your goal is to connect them all. I'm thinking I will only allow access to each country as it joins the EU - so France, Germany, etc in 1952, Britain & Denmark in 1973, Greece in 1981 and so on. It will play for over 50 years which might be a bit long - what do you think?

Edit: Discussion also on Molse's forum: http://molse.de/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12 ... 393#p23393
edbangor
Dispatcher

Re: European Union Unread post

Sounds like a good idea to me just don't finish it too quickly as I've got to fully play test "Warrington Wire" before I can move onto anything else (mind you I already have another scenario in the early stages of being created based around the idea of the Channel being drained and becoming a country.)

As for the length that will only become an issue if there are periods when there's nothing for the player to do but I'm sure the EU has enough trade disputes along the way to keep things 'interesting'.

BTW: are you going to include aspects of the Bosnia war?
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Blackhawk
CEO

It sounds like an interesting concept for a map. Generally I prefer shorter rather than longer scenarios. But as long as the scenario has enough objectives, or events that keep me entertained the length doesn't matter as much.

Edit: Added a missing word.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Thanks, both! I suppose I have the entire history of Europe in the last half of the last century to play with - which is just about my lifetime, also. (Maybe I'll throw in significant events like "Grandma Ruth gets married"!)
It's going to be a long, long time in the making, Ed - I'm in the middle of moving house for a start. Then the base map needs quite a lot of work to re-jig it for this scenario. And then there is, as you both say, the need for some interesting events along the way. Trade disputes, Bosnia, de Gaulle saying "Non!", Thatcher, Maastricht, etc. I'm open to any suggestions anybody has, but I won't be able to respond any time soon as I'm losing my internet connection for a while.
:salute:
edbangor
Dispatcher

Well it wouldn't be the first TM scenario to mention major events involving General Ruth.... oh wait, you said 'Grandma' Ruth didn't you ^**lylgh

Seriously though just a breif look on Wiki and there's pages of trade and other disputes both within and to outside the EU that should give you more than enough 'events' to keep the game going for a very long time. ..
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Still here, not much further forward but getting there! :salute: