Ontario Northland

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Ontario Northland Unread post

I was reading on the weekend that the Ontario Northland will be no more. So while I am trying to figure some things out for my Deadwood map, I decided to take a break and work on a Northern Ontario map. I'm using the map made by Proud Canadian. I am also including some of the concepts from Deadwood in that growth will be entirely dependant on railroad connections.

I've also decided that at the beginning of the scenario, 1890, the player will have three choices on how they want to pursue the goals.

1. Transient, This choice is for just passing through and the goals will be abase on hauling cargo through the territory(Noethern Ontario.)

2. Exporter, this will be based on hauling cargo in and out of the territory.

3. Developer, this will be based on developing the territory.

These goals will be for Station Master. They will be difficult to achieve by themself. To achieve Trainmaster, the player will have to achieve all the goals.

With each choice you wll be allowed to do something, and not allowed to do something else. These will conflict with the other choices. For example, for choice one you can't own industry, but for choice three you must. But for choice 3 you can't ship through the territory. etc, etc.

This way in order to get second place you can't take the risk of going for first place. And it will use the same map for exeentally three different scenarios with separate approaches.
cheminot
Brakeman

Re: Ontario Northland Unread post

That's my kind of map!
Can it be used in RT3?
:mrgreen:
"He who knows that he doesn't know anything, knows a lot"
jewish proverb
nedfumpkin
CEO

The original version of this map is RT3, but I am making it a TM map.
gismoskip
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:The original version of this map is RT3, but I am making it a TM map.
note: have you added Mp3 files to the origional game or other version of RT3? it might be cool to hear some new songs sometimes . .
another note for you: will trainmaster work with Vista? just double checking.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Trainmaster was designed specifically to work on Vista, and in all the hours of playing TM, I don't believe it ever even crashed. It's very stable.

I think I combined music from RT2 and RT3 for TM. But replacing the mp3s is an easy thing to do.
gismoskip
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:Trainmaster was designed specifically to work on Vista, and in all the hours of playing TM, I don't believe it ever even crashed. It's very stable.

I think I combined music from RT2 and RT3 for TM. But replacing the mp3s is an easy thing to do.
ok, thanks for answering my questions.
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Update...I'm working out the goals...

Since it isn't possible to properly count loads from one territory to another, the work around is to restrict, as much as possible, a commodity in one territory and count from that territory, then do another count to the other territory. The problem here is that it is all too easy to ship cargo to a territory and then back out again, and do this over and over again to get your count. TM makes this possible by allowing drop-shipping and the use of railyard structures. So I am going to code an event that counts loads to or from the territories opposite of their goals so that if to many loads are hauled in or out then it triggers a lose. So far I am working on 100 loads to and from various destinations. So I am writing an event whereby if more than 10 loads are shipped in our out of where they are supposed to be going then it will trigger a lose due to mismanagement. This is for the path of passing through the territory.

To count loads hauled to an from various territories, I am using the company variables. So for one set of goals, for example above, you have to tranship 6 cargo to various places on the map. So when 100 loads have been to destination 1, cv1 +1, when 100 loads are shipped to dest. 2, then cv1 +10, then + 100, etc, etc. This way I am only using one variable to count loads with the result that when all the conditions have been met the number is 111111111 (100 million) , if any goals aren't met then there will be a zero, and the win event wont trigger since it is looking for an =. CV 2 will be for other load counts, and 3 for even more different load counts.

Just sharing some thoughts.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Very sad to hear another classic fallen flag, but I think an RT3 map is the perfect way to honor it's passing. Thanks!
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
nedfumpkin
CEO

Pretty much got this scenario finished. Time to start testing. Once I have worked out initial bugs, I'll post it for others to test.

Basically, there are three goal routes for Station Master. You will choose which to pursue. You will also have the option of pursuing Trainmaster. Each of the goal routes excludes certain goals excludes from the other route. If you choose to pursue Traimaster, then those restrictions are removed, beause you are pursuing the goals from all three routes, and then some.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Ready for some testing. If you don't already have the cowboy engines, you'll need them.

You have three choices for how you want to play, and that's for Staion Master. If you want to try for Trainmaster, you have to accomplish all three sets of goals. If you choose to reach for the brass ring, you jeopardize your chances of getting Station Master.

So do you like to just play trains through without any industry? How about hauling cargo to separate destinations? Or do you like to build and build and build.

Different choices, different approaches, different things happen.

Happy Railroading!
Attachments
TM_CowboyEngines.zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 407 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

Anyone making any progress on this? I am currently pursuing option 3. I'm about 10 years in and I am checking to see of the warehouses are working correctly. Until you haul cargo to the outlying warehouses, they won't produce any cargo. At last save, I just connected to one so I'll see tonight when I get back at it.
Blackhawk
CEO

Hopefully I'll have some time over the weekend to try it. It's been a busy week so I haven't had time yet.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I know what you mean there! I'm just getting a chance to test this scenario.

So far so good. The warehouses are working as they are supposed to. I am considering some minor tweeks, but I want to see how the other options play out.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I downloaded it but things have been a little hectic for me lately. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to try it out, as much as I'd like to.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

No worries Hawk...I am really busy too of late so not getting as much time in it as I would like.
arop
Dispatcher

:-( Are the Cowboy engines for TM exclusively?
nedfumpkin
CEO

You can certainly use them, however, they have no end dates so if you want to end them at any poiny, it is by event.

Also, I'm still not finished with them, so this isn't the final version....some mionr fixes with the skins to be done.
nedfumpkin
CEO

An event was occuring 4 times and messing up the map, so I fixed it and made some other changes...play this one instead.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'm getting close to finishing this...still sorting out the goals and balancing the map, and testing and testing and testing...but close to finishing.
nedfumpkin
CEO

This should be it. I am still testing, but this is going to be the final version once I have played through and painted it.
Attachments
Northern_Ontario_TM.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 249 times