Production modifiers, how do they affect 1-input, 2-output industries?

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
RulerofRails
CEO

Production modifiers, how do they affect 1-input, 2-output industries? Unread post

:?: Has anyone tested or observed how a production modifier is applied to one of the outputs of an industry that has two potential outputs from the same input? Does the total possible output remain unchanged, meaning a scenario's creator can influence which output is produced?

For example the Oil Refinery that can either produce Petroleum or Chemicals. Will a production decrease for Petroleum mean that Chemicals will end up being produced a lot more or solely (if the decrease is enough)? Or will total output be reduced?

(I am thinking of using some territory-based events like this, and wondered if I can be lazy and potentially avoid some testing time by getting some input.)
Shamough
Conductor

Re: Production modifiers, how do they affect 1-input, 2-output industries? Unread post

RulerofRails wrote::?: Has anyone tested or observed how a production modifier is applied to one of the outputs of an industry that has two potential outputs from the same input? Does the total possible output remain unchanged, meaning a scenario's creator can influence which output is produced?

For example the Oil Refinery that can either produce Petroleum or Chemicals. Will a production decrease for Petroleum mean that Chemicals will end up being produced a lot more or solely (if the decrease is enough)? Or will total output be reduced?

(I am thinking of using some territory-based events like this, and wondered if I can be lazy and potentially avoid some testing time by getting some input.)
I THINK ... If you use the specific function it will only affect that product. IF you use the ALL Factory/Cargo/Farm-Mine they are all affected.

Give it a try. An Oil refinery with an over supply ... set Chemicals to 1000% and Diesel to 1% and watch what you are shipping for a year ... have plenty of trains to haul cargo. YTD Diesel from & YTD Chemicals from.

I'm assuming that TM has these functions ... have never created a TM folder ... yet.

Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Production modifiers, how do they affect 1-input, 2-output industries? Unread post

Reviving this thread. Have new ideas floating now. Just putting this one to rest.
Does the total possible output remain unchanged, meaning a scenario's creator can influence which output is produced?
The simple answer here is NO. After stifling Chemicals production game-wide in a test enviroment, production of Petroleum remained unchanged.

I could speculate about what the game is doing, but don't see the point. In terms of the Oil Refinery specifically, with a constant near-peak demand my test showed that normal production in an upgraded industry had a ratio of 6.9 Chemicals produced to 9 Petroleum produced. This goes against my memory of gameplay where Chemical production seemed favored. Probably a demand thing. Chemicals is consumed at more industries IIRC.