Monkey Business (CA09) Campaign Scenario

Discuss scenarios and strategies for game play.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Monkey Business (CA09) Campaign Scenario Unread post

No, you're a bit too close to home! :lol:
edbangor
Dispatcher

Grandma Ruth wrote:No, you're a bit too close to home! :lol:
Erm... well... Ned is a long way away... ^**lylgh
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Grandma Ruth
CEO

^**lylgh
nedfumpkin
CEO

Uh...Blame Canada is a US trait...now the Brits are doing it too? ^**lylgh
Blackhawk
CEO

I finally got around to playing this map from the campaign file download and was reading some of the past comments. The ability to build the Golden Coast does indeed make some things easy at times. They are nice for their profitability, and saved me the time of having to ship coal into Port West? with its dual steel mills. I see your comment that said they should no longer be buildable? I'm assuming the campaign files don't have the most up to date version of this map then?

Other things I came across (Which may be fixed as this was an old version of the map):
- The Corn Biomass farm in ChimDocks had no fields (minor detail) just made it more difficult to see it was a farm
- The Sanctuary Events in the editor refer to penUlties, when it should be penAlties
- AccessGor event - Gorillaville opens its Boarders, should be Borders.
- Access Orang - Again Boarders should be Boarders
- Access Military - "The military are impressed that you've connected..." Military is singular so it would be "The military is impressed"
- ChimpCity2 Lake - Missing space between of and "Chimptopia"
- ChimpCity 2 openape - Missing space again between of and Chimptopia, Misspelled Orangaland
- "Sancturary" Island is misspelled with its label/tag on the island
- The required Weapons to Military Centre: Ledge/Briefing say bring in 20 loads. But the event to trigger a TM win requires 25 loads.
- Chimpcity2docks event - Legislature is misspelled.

Overall it was a nice scenario. I think I've got my fix of monkeys/apes for awhile. It seems like there were several different ways to go about this scenario. At first I was thinking of starting on the east side of Chimp City, but instead I started up in ApeGate by some Golden Coast Ports. Towards the end I ended up with a large build up of cash, but from the TM maps I've played so far, towards the end after you buy a lot of industries it's fairly easy to have a large build up of cash and just wait for some cargoes to be shipped for the win. I enjoyed when I finally got to Gorrillaville as I was finally able to get to some pre-build industries. I like knowing where an industry is and having to connect to it more than having to plan out my entire rail network and where it would be best to put an industry, and hope a shopping mall or something else doesn't "eat up" a limited resource like recently built electronics. But that's just likely general comfort zone as that's how most RT3 maps are, and having to build most, if not all, of the supply chain slows my already somewhat slow and careful game play down, particularly when I had to keep pulling up the Supply Chain Guide to see what was required for each industry.

I also thought it seemed different than the StationMaster cargoes required were completely different than the Trainmaster. It seems like an interesting concept that might require the player to determine early on what kind of victory they want to go after. Although in my case, I completely negected any of the stationmaster cargoes and focused only on the Trainmaster required cargoes.

Overall well done and creative. !$th_u$!

MESSAGE FOR NED:
- I was reviewing the supply guide to play this map and noticed the manual says steel, lumber, and explosives are required to build ammunition; however, the actual building itself in game says only steel and explosives.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Blackhawk wrote:I finally got around to playing this map from the campaign file download and was reading some of the past comments. The ability to build the Golden Coast does indeed make some things easy at times.
I did send a fixed version to Ned but perhaps he hasn't used it yet.
If not I can send again with some added corrections as well.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Blackhawk wrote:that you've connected..." Military is singular so it would be "The military is impressed"
Have you seen this? :lol:
Blackhawk
CEO

Grandma Ruth wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:that you've connected..." Military is singular so it would be "The military is impressed"
Have you seen this? :lol:
I thought about not mentioning it, but after we had that other thread going about singular versus plural for Hawk's website, I figured I just had to bring up the singular/plural issue !hairpull!

edbangor wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I finally got around to playing this map from the campaign file download and was reading some of the past comments. The ability to build the Golden Coast does indeed make some things easy at times.
I did send a fixed version to Ned but perhaps he hasn't used it yet.
If not I can send again with some added corrections as well.
I just remembered I used a campaign file download from maybe a month ago. I'm not sure if it's been updated since then or not. I thought I downloaded a fresh copy of the campaign files but I remembered it stopped halfway through the download.
nedfumpkin
CEO

The file for Monkey Business is dated December 18, 2009...if there is a more recent version, then I haven't got it.
edbangor
Dispatcher

nedfumpkin wrote:The file for Monkey Business is dated December 18, 2009...if there is a more recent version, then I haven't got it.

You should have one dated 19th Jan 2010!

But don't worry if you don't as I'm going to put in some other corrections and send again.
Kiev the Great
Hobo

Hey it's a great map but I have one key problem in my game. No troops wanna go to Military centre. And I mean ZERO. What can I do? I have plenty of troops on the map, but they all wanna lounge around in the island chain island hopping. Am I missing something which will result in a facepalm or is the game just hating me?

EDIT: It was the game hating me as after a while of insisting they can only go there(no alternatives) they relented. Although it meant I had to shift 50 in just 4 years. And I just made it. Also, Might I suggest increasing the targets slightly?
Last edited by Kiev the Great on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Set a customs consist hauling troops...they'll go whether they want to or not just like good soldiers.
Kiev the Great
Hobo

Sorry I edited the original post because I hadn't noticed your reply. Also quick off topic question, what is new about the recently uploaded campaign files 2?
Blackhawk
CEO

I connected most if not all of the military outposts and used a specific troop train or two to haul all the troops. For me it seemed like the troops would vary where they would want to come from. But most of the time mine were coming from the outposts on those islands on the southwest part of the map.

Troops are like passengers in that if the ride to military centre doesn't get them closer to their final destination they won't go, so I found it best to click on my stations and then on the troops and see where the demand was for troops from that station. Once I found a station with several loads of troops wanting to go to Military Centre I had a train go there and pick up those troops and head to the military centre. Then if that station started to stop sending troops to the Military Centre I'd repeat the above process and find which Military Outpost was most inclined to be sending troops to the Military Centre. (I also had 1 or 2 trains just running express and troops over on the western islands in the middle of the map. (I cant remember the name as it's been awhile since I've played the map)

Basically my advice: 1. connect all the military outposts to make to increase the flow of troops and 2. check the stations cargo outputs at those outposts to see where the troops want to go.
Blackhawk
CEO

Kiev the Great wrote:Sorry I edited the original post because I hadn't noticed your reply. Also quick off topic question, what is new about the recently uploaded campaign files 2?
The update includes the first Campaign map Birth of a Nation, as well as an updated version of Monkey Business. I'm not sure what updates Ed made to Monkey business but I think he made it so the Gold Coast Port can't be built (as in the prior versions being able to build that made it a much easier map) and probably a few typo fixes. Maybe the readme says what other changes/updates, if any, that he made? *Edit* Readme only says spelling fixes. So maybe it's just some spelling fixes and disabling the ability to build the Gold Coast Port.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Te change I made to Birth of a Nation was to allow a ledger after the connection to Madison was made. The game plays the same, just an extra ledger inserted.
Blackhawk
CEO

Oops guess I didn't realize the Campaign Files 2.zip was updated a day ago. The bigger maps take a long time to load on my older laptop so I haven't really played much TM/RT3 lately.

Kiev did you play the version of Monkey Business were you couldn't build the Gold Coast? I'm curious where you started? I'll have to replay the map someday and not build Gold Coast ports as that would make it more difficult.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Blackhawk wrote:if any, that he made? *Edit* Readme only says spelling fixes. So maybe it's just some spelling fixes and disabling the ability to build the Gold Coast Port.
That's pretty much what I did.
Kiev the Great
Hobo

Blackhawk wrote:Oops guess I didn't realize the Campaign Files 2.zip was updated a day ago. The bigger maps take a long time to load on my older laptop so I haven't really played much TM/RT3 lately.

Kiev did you play the version of Monkey Business were you couldn't build the Gold Coast? I'm curious where you started? I'll have to replay the map someday and not build Gold Coast ports as that would make it more difficult.
I couldn't build gold coast ports I don't think. Well even if I could I didn't. Also I started at Chimp City and through vineton and monketon. Then I spent most of my money building a massive textile and Flour industry in Chimp city. Namely 6 textile mills and 5 flour mills which poured out goods. I think I ended with well over £400m industry profits, and around £80m was from Chimp city.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Kiev the Great wrote:I couldn't build gold coast ports I don't think. Well even if I could I didn't. Also I started at Chimp City and through vineton and monketon. Then I spent most of my money building a massive textile and Flour industry in Chimp city. Namely 6 textile mills and 5 flour mills which poured out goods. I think I ended with well over £400m industry profits, and around £80m was from Chimp city.
Oh that's a new way of doing things to me, as I always assumed that building more than two, or possibly three of any industry in a single down wouldn't make all that much money, as they'd just poach business from each other. Although, I guess, if there's none of those industries anywhere else they you could supply the entire map from the one spot. Interesting.