Monkey Business (CA09) Campaign Scenario

Discuss scenarios and strategies for game play.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Monkey Business (CA09) Campaign Scenario Unread post

The briefing says to connect the 3 capitol cities to gain access to Military Centre, but what are the 3 capitol cities?
Is that all that's necessary to gain access to Military Centre, just connect the 3 cities to each other?
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Re: Monkey Island Unread post

Hawk wrote:The briefing says to connect the 3 capitol cities to gain access to Military Centre, but what are the 3 capitol cities?
Is that all that's necessary to gain access to Military Centre, just connect the 3 cities to each other?
The breifing should say connect the 3 capitol cities to Duo City, so that 's four cities in total. (It says that in the readme though)
As for where the cities are, there's a bit of a clue in the name (cities) and a bigger one in the readme file. :-) although I had thought I'd put hints into the game itself.

Anyway, the "Cities" are : Chimp City, Goril City, & Orang City (see what I did with the names?). There's also Duo City - the capitol "City" of Duo Island - which has to be connect to them, of course.

And yes, that is 'all' that is needed to gain access to Horseshoe Island - which contains Military Centre although, obviously you'll have also needed to get the requirments to get to Gorilaville (1,500 miles of track), Orangaland (3,0O00 loads hauled) & Duo Islands ($50 industry profits.) and probably, in order to get track to Duo Island you'll have needed Island Chain (connect 25 cities) as well. But yes, that's All you have to do. ^**lylgh

I'll do a full stragegy for the scenario when Ned's finished tinkering with TM and after I've painted the map for final release, in case I change too many things (again).
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Read me? What's that? ^**lylgh
After reading the 'read me' I see now that it does tell you, but the briefing only states:
It's time to bring the rails to Monkey World.
But while the leaders of Orangaland and Gorillaville have choosen to use primate tycoons, the wisdom of Chimptopia have called in a human. You!
The problem is the Chimps are more thinkers than doers, so they don't have any industry meaning that you'll have to build it all from scratch although you do get to keep all the profits.
But, beware, you don't upset anyone as there are other humans just waiting to get in on the act.

You have 35 years to...YARDSWITCHER
$100mil in industry profits

STATION MASTER
Deliver the following loads to Duo City:
25 Machinery, 10 Auto & 10 Electronics.

TRAINMASTER
Connect the three capitol cities to gain access to Military Centre, then deliver the following there:
30 Ammo, 10 Missles, 25 Weapons & 50 troops.
No mention of Island Chain being required for Duo Islands either.
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Island Chain isn't 'needed' as such in that it's not in the Events for it to trigger anything so you could just ignore them at this stage (you will want to be there for later goals however as they are the only place to find the troops needed for TRAINMASTER goal)

However, in order to physicallly get your tracks onto Duo Island, and therefore to Duo City, you'll probably need to hop through one, or more, of the islands in the chain to make the connection. It is possible to go direct, but that would require a very long, and expensive bridge.

That said, it probably should mention in the breifing that the capitols have to be connected to Duo city, although, if you've already competed the STATIONMASTER requirements, you must already have connected to Duo City, but there is no need to have connected to the other three although there is a prompt, early in the game, to connect to Chimp City.

Still I can change that.

BTW Hawk, are you actually playing TM now?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

edbangor wrote:BTW Hawk, are you actually playing TM now?
Trying to. ^**lylgh

I'm done with the modeling projects for the time being and I want to get some TM play time in before I have to start the next project, probably after the first of the year.
I'm also kicking around the idea of revamping my Paphalophagus map to TM, possibly as a 3 part series.

Part 1: 1830 to 1870
Part 2: 1900 to 1940
Part 3: 1970 to 2010

I don't know who played the version currently available in the archives but it has some problems that came about when, in one of my drunken stupors, I loaded the map in the editor and forgot I was there, started playing the scenario then saved it, which screwed up the industry seeding.
I have gone back in and wiped out everything on the map, reset all industry and city/region settings to 0 and managed to fix my screw ups.
I've been working on it a bit this morning, renaming some cities to an 1830ish style, deleted some cities (to make it a bit more barren), and a few other trivialities.
Now I just need to figure out this new industry chain and come up with a game plan.

I know most folks prefer real life historical maps but I'm not much of a history buff. I like making up my own history. ;-)

I want to play both yours and Ned's map to, hopefully, give me a better idea how the new stuff works.

BTW! I'm not complaining about your map. Just pointing out a few things that you may want to consider adjusting. ;-) :salute:
You know; for the dummies like me. *!*!*!
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote: I'm done with the modeling projects for the time being and I want to get some TM play time in before I have to start the next project, probably after the first of the year.
I'm also kicking around the idea of revamping my Paphalophagus map to TM, possibly as a 3 part series.

Part 1: 1830 to 1870
Part 2: 1900 to 1940
Part 3: 1970 to 2010

I don't know who played the version currently available in the archives but it has some problems that came about when, in one of my drunken stupors, I loaded the map in the editor and forgot I was there, started playing the scenario then saved it, which screwed up the industry seeding.
I have gone back in and wiped out everything on the map, reset all industry and city/region settings to 0 and managed to fix my screw ups.
I've been working on it a bit this morning, renaming some cities to an 1830ish style, deleted some cities (to make it a bit more barren), and a few other trivialities.
Now I just need to figure out this new industry chain and come up with a game plan.

I know most folks prefer real life historical maps but I'm not much of a history buff. I like making up my own history. ;-)

I want to play both yours and Ned's map to, hopefully, give me a better idea how the new stuff works.

BTW! I'm not complaining about your map. Just pointing out a few things that you may want to consider adjusting. ;-) :salute:
You know; for the dummies like me. *!*!*!
Working out the industry chain/s in TM is the trickest thing and why Monkey Business too so long too do, and got rather more involved than I had intended, as was just expecting a small map to fill the gap between my working on THehub1 and thehub2, but as it worked in TM, I had to keep adding things here and there.

In fact the only way I could work out the industry chain was, after the initial set up of the map, like I would ahve done for RRt3, 1.06, was to then continually play it, to see what was missing, add that, and then play it again. (the endless saves another reason I never painted the map of course)

Your project looks great although, if you've read my initial thread on MB, where I was trying to convert the base map for "thehub" into TM, that it's impossible but I would assume if you can go back to a map creation that doens't use something that's been in RRT3 1.06 then it should work. (I haven't read the thread again, but I think Ned said, maps from 1.05 or earlier, then I think it might be able to import without the "custom's house" issue.

I do have another idea for a TM map but until I start on that I'm not going to mention it. In the meantime, thehub2 is in the final testing stages, and then I have ideas for thehub3 which will finish that series. (mainly becuase I'll have run out of time in RRT3!)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Like I said, I used the bulldozer to bulldoze everything on the map except cities; trees, farms, industries, plants, the whole enchilada. I also set all values to 0, deleted all events, redid the building density, removed all industries from the industry list, etc. before I imported it to TM (I think it was originally done in 1.05. I know it wasn't 1.06).
I'm basically starting from scratch so hopefully it will work.

The map is already painted but I plan on doing a lot of touch up at the end anyway, plus I always save with a new name.

I was going to start with the original map but then I'd have to add the rivers again and I really didn't want to do that since I finally got them looking real good, flowing right, junctions looking good, etc.

I'll see how it goes. :roll:

Edit 1: :oops: Me thinks I'm getting a bit (*!!topic . I'm bad about that. ^**lylgh
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:Like I said, I used the bulldozer to bulldoze everything on the map except cities; trees, farms, industries, plants, the whole enchilada. I also set all values to 0, deleted all events, redid the building density, removed all industries from the industry list, etc. before I imported it to TM (I think it was originally done in 1.05. I know it wasn't 1.06).
I'm basically starting from scratch so hopefully it will work.

The map is already painted but I plan on doing a lot of touch up at the end anyway, plus I always save with a new name.

I was going to start with the original map but then I'd have to add the rivers again and I really didn't want to do that since I finally got them looking real good, flowing right, junctions looking good, etc.

I'll see how it goes. :roll:

Edit 1: :oops: Me thinks I'm getting a bit (*!!topic . I'm bad about that. ^**lylgh
When i tried to load thehub into TM it was the base map. So no events, or anyting selected, just the map and territores. However, RRT3 appears to need a "Customs house" in the buildings folder which Ned has elliminated, and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it that I could find.
The map will load if you copy the customs house files from an RRT3 installation into the same folder in TM, but of course, that only means it will work for you, not for anyone else.

Oh and if you can't go off topic then who can....
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah Ha! You are right. There is no Customs House in TM.
What kind of problem does that cause?

Edit 1: Never mind. I went back and read the MB thread and if I understand it right, since I made the map in 1.05, there shouldn't be an issue involving the Customs House and it should work fine.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. **!!!**
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Hawk wrote:Ah Ha! You are right. There is no Customs House in TM.
What kind of problem does that cause?
IT cases the game to crash on loading.
Hawk wrote: Edit 1: Never mind. I went back and read the MB thread and if I understand it right, since I made the map in 1.05, there shouldn't be an issue involving the Customs House and it should work fine.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. **!!!**
This I haven't actually tried as I didn't have a 1.05 version of my map to try, as I'd done it all in 1.06 but Ned says it works, and, I'm not going to argue with him on TM matters. ^**lylgh
nedfumpkin
CEO

The Customs House was something useful in RT2 where the unloading time was longer due to your train being in "customs." That never came up in RT3 and that is why the building was never used. Not sure why Milo enaled it since I still don't see how it does anything for the game. So no, there is no Customs House in TM.

The only time a map won't load due to buildings missing is if one has been placed on the map somewhere, or something is using one of its components.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yes, I'm familiar with the use of the Custom House in RT2, and it actually did serve a purpose in that version, but I never used it in RT3, even in 1.06.

So far, on the map I'm working on, I haven't had a problem with it loading in the game. 'Course it was created in 1.05 so the Customs House was never used.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

It would only be if is was planted somewhere that it would matter.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Good! Then I don't have to worry about that issue. :mrgreen: :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

If ever there was a map that someone wanted to use, I could most like convert it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I think I may have found a minor glitch in one of the events. In June of '61 I got a newspaper saying that my company wasn't using all electric track, which is not true. I only have one train and two stations and all the track is electric. I don't know how much the fine was (I think $15K) but if was anything more than $00.00 it's wrong. Actually I shouldn't have got that message at all. I looked at the event but didn't see anything wrong with the set up so I don't know what's causing that.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

In Aug of '71 I got another message about getting my act together within 2 years and get with all electric. Problem is; all my lines are electric.

Looking in the editor, you have them both testing against all companies and the AI's aren't using electric.
Also, for the second electric no event, you have the effects set to Player Cash - [Random 1 to 10,000] and Player Cash - $200,000

In Aug. '73 I got fined because the AI's aren't electric.

The event for access to Gorillaville is set at 1,500 miles of track, but the ledger says you need 1,000 miles (listed correct in the read me).

The event for access to Orangaland says 3,000 miles of track. The ledger says 2,500 (listed correct in the read me).

The event for access to Duo is set at IP of $50,000,000 but it's not mentioned in the ledger, only in the read me.
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Hawk, just want to say that I'm not ignoring your corrections but I want to finish TheHub2, before going back to Monkey Business to make the (hopefully) final corrections, make the adjustments for changes from pre-beta to beta, and then paint the map.

BTW: as you've probably noticed, I update the Readme a lot more than the in game announcements/ ledger during play testings - as I often have that open whilst play testing - so you should read that more often !*th_up*!
edbangor
Dispatcher

Re: Monkey Business Unread post

Corrections are made but I won't repost the map until it's painted. :evil:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Cool!