TM - Juice Train

Discuss scenarios and strategies for game play.
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: TM - Juice Train Unread post

I suppose I should add, if anyone was playing on the previous version of the map the requirements aren't that different so there likely isn't much reason to restart your game.

A List of changes that I can remember making:
- I may have reduced the mountain height by Hartford (I can't remember if I did that in this version or the previous version)
- I slightly reduced an initial engine modifier for speed and pulling power
- Fixed a typo
- Fixed an event condition which might not have allowed for a SM or TM win if you didn't ship enough food to Cincinnati prior to 2010. (The way Cincinnati food was calculated might not have allowed for a SM/TM victory if you only satisfied that condition in the final year, 2010.)
Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk
CEO

Alright let's try this again. Seems I forgot to update the status message. (I apparently made changes in the editor of a playtest I had rather than in the editor of the actual map... oops)
Attachments
TM - The Juice Train Final 2.0.rar
(5.85 MiB) Downloaded 612 times
Blackhawk
CEO

Well I haven't had any other comments or complaints so I think this map can be added to the archives. Hawk do you want me to PM it to you or is the attachment in the post above enough?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That attachment is good. I've downloaded it and will get it added shortly.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, it took me a little longer to get it added, but it's there now.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/TM/tm_n_am.htm

Sorry for the delay! :oops:
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

No problem. Not like the map was going to get up and run away :-D Thanks for adding it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

!$th_u$! for contributing. :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Couple of things I found in the scenario that need fixing....

You don't have the rubber plantation checked in the over all industry list. Without it the California ports aren't producing gum.

When asked if you want to hire the ex employees, the choice read hirer. Should be hire.

Still working my way through.
Blackhawk
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:Couple of things I found in the scenario that need fixing....

You don't have the rubber plantation checked in the over all industry list. Without it the California ports aren't producing gum.

When asked if you want to hire the ex employees, the choice read hirer. Should be hire.

Still working my way through.
Oops. Guess it shows I didn't really spend too much time building rubber in California.

I've fixed both issues you've mentioned. I'll wait a little longer before releasing an update just in case you find something else I should fix. Thanks for letting me know.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I would also suggest that you enable terrain levellers. Since there is a speed requirement, it would be helpful to smooth out some of the bumps in the track.
Blackhawk
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:I would also suggest that you enable terrain levellers. Since there is a speed requirement, it would be helpful to smooth out some of the bumps in the track.
Strange, guess that bug is back. In the version I released before the final one the rail structures worked. I'll probably have to disable and then enable all the industries again and I think that brought back the railyard structures.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Not sure why they turn off, but it only seems to happen on maps carried over from 1.05, not new maps. Rail Yard structures would be a definite help too.
Blackhawk
CEO

Attached is the latest version of the map, it seems the railyard structures bug struck again and they were turned off in the version I previously released. The bakery is reenabled, and a typo was fixed.
Attachments
TM - The Juice Train - v2.1.rar
(5.86 MiB) Downloaded 309 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

I think the key to this scenario is to focus only on cargo that you need to haul to make the stuff you need, and forget about all the other cargo, except express cargo.
Blackhawk
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:I think the key to this scenario is to focus only on cargo that you need to haul to make the stuff you need, and forget about all the other cargo, except express cargo.
I'd largely agree with that. In the New England area you can ship furniture around freely, and I've had a New York - Philadelphia train which hauls any cargo from either city. (although if you need to use the oil from New York, or chemicals from Philadelphia then you may need to change this train.

I loaded a saved game of my playtest and I was in the year 1999. I had 31 trains, and 26 of them had at least 1 stop where they used a custom consist. I suppose with having to set consists so frequently the map brings back a sort of RT2 consist making feel. Overall on this map the more direct trains seem to work better as then your cargoes get to the right city, and a non-stop route keeps your speed up.

The way I played the map:
Early on a bought one of the lumber mills in Hartford or Syracuse. Then I'd buy the other one, and if they seemed to be gathering extra logs I'd upgrade them. You may also be able to buy the furniture factory if you take out a bond and issue some stock. Usually the furniture factory makes a large profit on its own with a steel mill and lumber mill on the other side of the mountain, and the lumber mill in Hartford. Then over the next couple of years I bought a textile mill in Columbia (or Atlanta, but I know I'd be supplying the Columbia one in the future), a few logging camps, and the paper mill in Virginia Beach.

I do not know of the exact years I bought these industries, but I have a saved game from 1976 where I owned all these as well as the bottling plants in Tampa. In 1974 I connected NY to Philly (single rail) and had FP45 running between the two cities. In 1975 I connected Tampa and Miami and had an FP9 running between them. I also had 7 bonds issued in late 1976 at 7 or 8% interest as the prime rate was 5%. I'm fairly sure I had a couple bonds early and then the economy picked up so I refinanced them and issued more so I could buy more industries and start my railroad.

Rather than focus solely on the Tampa or New York area I expanded both parts of my rail network at the same time. Build North from Tampa to Gainsville, Jacksonville, Savannah, and Charleston. Between Savananah and Charleston I'd create another route that would go up to Columbia. With these connected you can make a profit running any cotton, hemp, or wool you can find in Florida to the Columbia textile mill, then bring the textiles back to Miami for them to be made into glass. (depending on how much cottom you are sending to Columbia you eventually might consider building a textile plant in Florida). You can also make a profit by sending some rubber from Miami to Savannah and using the aluminum from Charleston to make electronics (you might not even need a train to bring the aluminum in as the tycoonians often like to haul it from Charleston to Savannah. While eventually you might need that aluminum at the bottling plant, you can usually spare enough aluminum to make some electronics. Particularly if you are sending textiles down to Miami to be converted into glass. Since electronics are largely a decoy to use up some of your valuable resources you really don't need to make any. (although they can be used to make machinery and make more glass at the glass factory, which could be a viable method. Early on the bottling plant stopped accepting glass, but now that it accepts glass forever you may take advantage of the glass factory. I think I just shipped in aluminum from Charleston, New York, and Raleigh though. Anyways I don't think I created an event saying it, but there is a quick hint in the readme, if you ship enough electronics out of Savannah you'll be rewarded with increased Acceleration, which makes it easier to make the speed goal.

As for the Northern branch of my railroad I connected to Hartford to New York for two reasons: 1. to bring lumber to NY, but more importantly 2. I then connected to Virginia Beach and could bring pulpwood down there to be processed into paper. Early on you can ship the paper around the New England area, but later you may have to stop that or at least reduce the amount they take as I used the paper later down in the cereal plant and candy factory. Although I also built a paper mill in Florida to take advantage of the hemp. This way I could load up with some paper as well as other required cargoes (rice, grain, sugar, or fruit depending on if I was going to Montegomery or Baton Rouge) Eventually you'll want to connect the Port near Boston (you might not want to actually connect Boston though as there is a hill which could slow your speed) and Richmond and start shipping the Bauxite from NY and the Boston area port to be made into aluminum. Eventually once Tampa is connected to NY and you're shipping the food from Tampa up you're trains will need something to return back to Tampa with. Stopping in Richmond and/or Charleston to pick up aluminum are a good way to utilize the trains so you don't have to add another costly train on a crowded track to run a similar route. [I had the 2 cities connected by 1981, I had 8 bonds at 5% each]

A few reminders, be careful of any grocery stores, military outposts, or any other buildings that uses up your limited food supply or other resources.

Also issue stock and keep issuing stock. Without any personal net wealth requirements who cares what happens to the value of the company. Just keep issuing stock each year (at least early on) just for the extra cash you can reinvest into the railroad.

That's a rough run through of how I played the first 10+ years. If anyone would care for more detail or for me to continue my walkthrough just let me know.
Stoker
Engineer

textiles back to Miami for them to be made into glass.
?? Textiles are made into Glass in TM? I guess when sending Steel and Lumber to a shipyard makes Sand in TM (WHY?) then making bottles out of fabric fits right in. The TM industry chain is completely Wonky.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
nedfumpkin
CEO

I started out from Miami, my first connections were to West Palm Beach and Orlando. Then I expanded to Tampa, but didn't deliver any glass there until I had purchased both bottling plants....then I supplied it only with glass.

Then I built a paper mill at Tampa, connected to Gainsville, then Savannah. Got my finances in order, then bought the Electronics plant and supplied it from West Palm. Next I connected to New York and started shipping 5 load trains of food there. Then I began filling in.

I also put an Oil refinery at Gainsville, two bakeries at Tampa, and a flour mill where the logs are. Then I connected to Talahassee, and St Augustine.

Now I'm working around the Birmingham area preparing to start shipping food to New York. It's around 1988.

I am still not finished, and will start over on the new version. But first I have figured out something involved with the German version, so I am going to do that first. Then start over.

--------------

Edit, uh stoker...you're all wrong. Glass is not made from textiles. I think its a typo of sorts. Also, shipyards demand or supply, but don't exchange anything.
Stoker
Engineer

I am all wrong? So I didn't read that textiles make glass? And shipyards don't produce sand in TM? What EXACTLY am I "all wrong" about? I count two correct statements- how is this "all wrong"? I guess if having Shipyards produce Sand makes sense to you then correct statements would also mean "all wrong" to you. Apparently Black is the new White.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
nedfumpkin
CEO

Stoker wrote:
textiles back to Miami for them to be made into glass.
?? Textiles are made into Glass in TM?
Whatever it says there, it's wrong. Here's what it says in the Guide:

Glass Factory (1800) – $1,600,000 – Ç$910,000
1800 – 1860
2 Glass  1 Sand + 1 Logs
1800 – 1919
2 Glass  1 Sand + 0.5 Coal
1910 – >
3 Glass  1 Sand + 0.3 Chemicals + 0.1 Machinery
1920 – >
3 Glass  1 Sand + 0.1 Aluminum + 0.1 Machinery

Basically the things that actually make glass in real life. Machinery is included because glass construction is heavily dependent on it and it needs constant replacement.

Now if someone set up a port or a warehouse where sand is exchanged for textiles, that's an entirely different matter.

Stoker wrote: I guess when sending Steel and Lumber to a shipyard makes Sand in TM (WHY?) then making bottles out of fabric fits right in. The TM industry chain is completely Wonky.
Nothing is exchanged at shipyards. Steel and Lumber are made into boats that sail away. Sand is derived from dredging.
Blackhawk
CEO

Stoker wrote:I am all wrong? So I didn't read that textiles make glass? And shipyards don't produce sand in TM? What EXACTLY am I "all wrong" about? I count two correct statements- how is this "all wrong"? I guess if having Shipyards produce Sand makes sense to you correct statements would also mean "all wrong" to you.
In this map a port/warehouse exchanges textiles to glass. So it is a map specific warehouse thing not a TM industry.

And shipyards produce sand naturally whether or not supplied with anything. And being a shipyard they build ships, which require steel, lumber, fuel, etc, but being a ship is built there is nothing produced that would go back onto your railroad as a ship floats out to sea.