Southern Manitoba Map

Discuss scenarios and strategies for game play.
Bcbuhler
Hobo

Southern Manitoba Map Unread post

Here's the map it is not finished yet but I would like someone to try and see if there are any issues or improvements. If you do try it please feel free to offer suggestions. I think I will probably change the winning conditions to something like hauling loads of each commodity but for now give it a try. CPR won't run any trains because their track has errors and I am working on fixing them.
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Southern Manitoba Map Unread post

I think you may have forgotten to attach the map. It will need to be be in a zip/rar file.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

This should be in the Reviews forum, so I moved it.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I moved it to the TM review section as I believe this is a TM map based on his first post having issues with the AI and track.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OK! I missed that. :mrgreen: :salute:
Hawk
Bcbuhler
Hobo

Sorry my computer won't let me add the map for some reason. Hawk, I emailed it to your admin email so if you could please post it here for me. It would be appreciated.
Attachments
SouthernManitoba.zip
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 284 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I added the map you emailed me, but why is it that you say your computer won't let you add it yourself.
Is the assumption correct that this map is for Trainmaster?
Are there any extra files required to play this map?
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Bcbuhler, first I must say that I am a novice in the editor. I do like problem solving though.

I was able to successfully bulldoze all CPR's track and stations, by using the bulldozer from the track-laying tool for CPR and carefully bulldozing all stations, maintenance sheds, and water towers first, making sure no track was going to be bulldozed at the same time. After that I went back and carefully did the track to prevent removing any of the cities. I saved it and can post it if you want, but because of the wash-out issue with multiple saves you may want to do it yourself.

I then quickly rebuilt the line making sure trains would run between the stations. I didn't have any problems. I am guessing the game has a record that each city has already been connected so all the stations have a Junction suffix (for example Winnipeg Junction). Not too hard to fix though.

While fooling around with the original track, I did have some crashes when trying to bulldoze any track with some of the sanding towers at the same time. I also tried making new stations, but it didn't help. I did manage to get a train running on the original track by buying it when it had two new stations on new track I had built and after it was running adding one of the "locked" stations. It did have strange behavior though, so I would start again.
Bcbuhler
Hobo

Hawk wrote:I added the map you emailed me, but why is it that you say your computer won't let you add it yourself.
I would go under upload attachment and put in the file then click add file then Internet Explorer would try to load for a few minutes and then say that the page couldn't be found.
RulerofRails
CEO

I had a quick look over the map. It looks good overall. Here are some things I noticed that you may want to change. If not, that's fine with me. I like creative ideas on what tasks or puzzles a creator makes for map goals, so I wont recommend anything specific in that direction.

The choice for $1,000,000 player cash when you start a company is currently giving $10,000,000 as it is testing against all companies. As far as I know testing against human companies should fix this.

In my opinion $1M player cash that early in the game makes the game too fast, unless that is what you are aiming for. Maybe it should also be a one-time event as you haven't prevented new companies from being founded. I don't know how much you know about robber baron stuff, but the ability to make new companies is an open door for all kinds of manipulation.

Also, I think the Good Credit option is probably too much. I was able to take out 20 bonds with most of them at the prime rate. $10M can get you a lot and if you buy good industries it can give you $1.5M profits in the first year. If you want this to be a fast 10 years or less anything goes map these options are fine. Depends what your plans are for the eventual goals. Any new map is great, and I can't wait until it is finished. Thanks for your efforts!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Bcbuhler wrote:
Hawk wrote:I added the map you emailed me, but why is it that you say your computer won't let you add it yourself.
I would go under upload attachment and put in the file then click add file then Internet Explorer would try to load for a few minutes and then say that the page couldn't be found.
That sounds like a problem with Internet Explorer. Not much I can do about that, but you could try a different browser, such as Firefox or PaleMoon.
Hawk
Bcbuhler
Hobo

Ruler of the Rails thanks for the help with the CP track I did what you had posted and Trainmaster didn't quit once. I have changed the event to only once at the start of the game. I hadn't tested the credit option so maybe that will be part of my project for the next day or two. I have been thinking about blocking industry purchasing (not building though) because the AI's will focus on industry in the times I've tested instead of rail.
RulerofRails
CEO

No worries, glad it's fixed. :-D Little glitches like that can be so frustrating and put a damper on enthusiasm which for me is essential to make headway on a project. I didn't play the map for many game years, but I also saw that some of the AI would buy industry without any of their track on the map. Fixing this would be good. I wouldn't know the best way to fix it, but your solution sounds reasonable to me.
Bcbuhler
Hobo

I made some changes to the map
-Improved the existing events
-Added some more events (Shortline tax credits and Grain market fallout)
-Added 3 more towns (Gimli, Darlingford and Hartney)
-Fixed CPR's track so they can run trains
-Changed AI company names and built track so they each had a segment to start out with.
Attachments
TM-SouthernManitoba.zip
(3.45 MiB) Downloaded 250 times
Last edited by Bcbuhler on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Nest time, try naming the zip without any spaces in the name. See if that helps.
Hawk
Bcbuhler
Hobo

I'll give that a try on the next version.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Any progress? I wouldn't mind playing a new map tonight.
Bcbuhler
Hobo

I haven't had a much time since the February 26th edition so I've only made one change. I think. I will see once I finished supper.
RulerofRails
CEO

I tried this again. You have a PM with some fixes/suggestions.