Stupid windows update

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Stupid windows update Unread post

Ok, today i got really annoyed at windows update, after it stuffed up my desktop.
It kept annoying me with the box thingy which pops up, saying there are new updates available, and i should download them.
So, i go to the windows update site, and among other updates, download an update to my graphics card.
After windows update installs/downloads etc (which seems to take forever),
as usual, it asks me to restart my pc, which i do.
Now, my pc restarts, and the graphics card update, well it seems to have completely stuffed up my graphics card.
My desktop is now:
-win 95 style recycle bin icon
-extremely low resolution (below 800*600)
-extremely low colours setting (like 4 bit colours or something)
-everything is pix elated and looks plain just stuffed up
-no games work, report problems with video card.

So, i try changing the resolution/colours in the display properties thing, but as soon as i change them, they change themselves back to the crappy settings.

So, i decided i would have to uninstall, then reinstall my graphics card software.
After a 30 min download from the ati site,
i uninstall all my graphics card related stuff, perform a fresh install,
and now the problem is fixed.
I have also now marked that particular windows update as one to hide.

Thanks a lot Microsoft, why on earth is that dogey graphics card "update" there?
And, as well as this, when i click the support, or ,more info links on the graphics card update on windows update, all i get is a link saying "this feature is coming soon"
:(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I've always been of the belief of turning off automatic updates. Microsoft doesn't seem to do to well with the hardware/driver updates. At least I've never had any success with them, especially graphic card updates.
Hawk
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

Yeah, I download the Windows security updates from M$, but that's about it. I don't even download the Internet Explorer updates anymore, since I have stopped using IE.
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

There is absolutely NO reason for MS to be delivering an update for an ATI card. I would never install an update from another company other than the one that supports my hardware or software, i.e. go to MS for Windows updates, ATI for ATI upgrades, and Blizzard for Starcraft updates.
JSS
Brakeman

Unread post

danielches, I have gone through exactly the same problems with Windows Update and ATI cards a while back. Same thing also happened with an ATI sound component it wanted to install all the time but only made things not work.
Therefore, I usually only run the security updates and leave most of the optional updates alone. Even though, at times the computer chokes on security updates, that is it behaves weird until the next complete Power-off cycle.

I would doubt it though that this ATI update is done by Microsoft. I would think that ATI provided that update to Microsoft and given the issues ATI has with their own updates at times, I am not surprised the “Microsoft” update does not work.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

well, i am never going to get any non-Microsoft, or any hardware updates through windows update again, thats for sure.