LG products warning

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
General_Popeye
Hobo

LG products warning Unread post

A warning to anyone interested in purchasing any LG products: simple don't

Monitors
In the last 2 years I have gone through 4 different LG computer monitors the first one lasted about year and a half before the buzzing that it produced got so bad if I used it for any length of time or left it plugged in even if it was off the monitor gave me a worse and worse headache. The second monitor lasted about 6 months before too many pixels died on me to see and when I sent that in on the warranty exchange it took them over a month to send me a replacement monitor and when that one arrived the whole screen was green and nothing I did could change it so it went back to them. Monitor number 4 arrived about 2 and a half weeks ago it lasted a total of 2 weeks before it broke. How it broke is that I went to tilt the monitor down so I could see better but when I tilted it I heard a crack and thousands of white lines appeared I went to the LG customer service and they told me that that model of monitor is out of warranty and that I cant do anything so now i'm stuck with a 15 pound paper weight !hairpull! .

Cell Phones
I also happen to have a phone by LG and recently the charger that was suppled with the phone broke off in the USB port and I had to purchase a new one and my sister has the same phone as me and she has similar problems with the USB port and the phone charger.

Other Appliances
I have heard horror stories about the LG microwaves catching fire and other parts of LG products melting and needing to be replaced or not even working properly until you call someone in to adjust it, but these are unconfirmed.

And to repeat my warning be careful this holiday season when it comes to LG products
I am General Popeye
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: LG products warning Unread post

The only thing made by LG that I've ever had any luck with were their CD-ROM drives, but their DVD drives aren't worth a plug nickel.
I've never found anything else by LG that was worth the material it was made from.
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

As big as LG is, I've heard, many years ago, that they're nothing but a 3rd rate company.
When I was going through my monitor woes, the Best Buy guy told me that LG is the most returned product in the store.

Thanks for the warning... !*th_up*!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Moggie
Conductor

My LG products have served me well. DVD-burner included. I do have a different idea of the company. I think they have many passable products but no highlights. **!!!** !
Last edited by Moggie on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Knave
Conductor

I am a little shocked. Elder Son has a 32 inch flat screen TV he uses for a monitor. And TV. By LG. It seems like a really good unit. Over two years old and still going. Is this lack of quality a new thing or was Elder Son just lucky?
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
thegrindre
Engineer

You're not looking at the whole picture. If a Best Buy representative says that the number one returned brands were LG and Acer, what does that tell you?
Some people have gotten lucky but some haven't. If you have a choice, why take a chance on something that expensive? Do you not care?
If the lowest returned brands were ASUS and Western Digital, which, by the way, I was told was, what would you pick?
Personally, I'm not stupid, I'll never choose LG or Acer, I'll choose Asus or WD or Sony.
Most people will have isolated issues with any brand but, why pick a brand that has issues all the time.
That's not smart.

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I bought 8 LG 19" flat screen monitors last summer to use on our lab computers. Granted they don't get used much, but so far, no problems. The old CRTs we had lasted over 10 years, so I'm holding my breath that the new LGs will be as durable. I'll let y'all know if I run into problems with them.
Moggie
Conductor

I don't think LG is remotely in the same league with Acer. Acer monitors have this unfortunate trait that they play dead from time to time. Remove the power cord, wait a few minutes and plug it back. Works again. Acer does have more than it's share of reliability problems. If only they'd get the reliability of their stuff on par with the design, they'd be unstoppable.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Knave
Conductor

I just remembered...We have LG blu ray /dvd players in our computers. !*00*! So far so good. Actually, from the newegg customer reviews, there wasn't a big return rate. Complaints about the software. Which I understand. The players themselves seem okay so far. I'll keep an eye open.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
General_Popeye
Hobo

Products even those mass produced have little differences between each unit that makes it a tiny bit unique so some might last longer or shorter than the others but for the most the product should work as intended and last as long as the manufacturer intended as well but from time to time one unit is defective in some way and it is only luck that you would end up with that peculiar unit. for example the first monitor i had was a lg 19" i cant remember the exact model number but a friend of mine has 2 identical monitors of the same model he has had problems with only one of them and that was only a minor buzz not as bad as mine was and they are still working fine so its just luck to get a defective monitor or another LG product.

As for Acer i was looking at one as a replacement but if it has some problems does anyone have any suggestions as a monitor?
I am General Popeye
Silverback
Watchman

thegrindre wrote:...........If a Best Buy representative says that the number one returned brands were LG and Acer, what does that tell you? .........
Not much - Insufficient information. Is that as a percentage of items sold or as an absolute number of items returned?

The representatives often just see the NUMBER of items returned not the proportion.

brand A - sell 10 get 1 fault that's a 10% failure rate
brand B - sell 100 get 5 faults - 5% failure rate
brand C - sell 1000 get 10 faults - 1% failure

If you just look at the number returned C is worst with 10 returned and A is the best - only 1 returned, but as a failure RATE C is by far the best brand.

If you take into account the cost against failure rate you might get another picture. I would expect better quality for the higher cost brands. LG tends to be cheaper than other brands. Which leads to the question of where they save the money.
Are the returned items DOA or in the first week of use or so? Most electronic equipmet that lasts a week or so will last several years.
How long are the items guaranteed for? If they are guaranteed for 3 years very few will fail within that time.

I had some bad experiences with CD drives many years ago of several brands including LG whereas Hawk didn't have any problems.

Acer according to Wikipedia don't make anything, they contract out manufacturing - they are just a brand. They are Taiwanese.
LG were formerly known as Lucky Goldstar and are a huge conglomerate based in Korea.

in contrast to LG who make many different consumer items not just computer related, WD make hard disks and Asus make mainly computer components and also have a cheaper brand ASRock.

Make sure you compare like with like.
General_Popeye
Hobo

Silverback wrote: If you take into account the cost against failure rate you might get another picture. I would expect better quality for the higher cost brands. LG tends to be cheaper than other brands. Which leads to the question of where they save the money.
I have notice that the cheaper something is it has more of a chance to have something fail quickly on it because we had had a very cheap microwave i don't know who it was by but it lasted 4 months exactly 4 months to the day that we purchased it before it quit working. so since then we haven't purchased anything that was the cheapest we could find.
I am General Popeye