Illegal to rip MP3s off Cds your own

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Gwizz
CEO

Illegal to rip MP3s off Cds your own Unread post

I just read that it is illegal to copy songs onto my computer from CDs I own.

Maybe that is why I got the message that some songs I wanted to play had no license and they were blocked from playing.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Illegal to rip MP3s off Cds your own Unread post

Where did you read that?
Hawk
Knave
Conductor

The Recording industry has been suing anybody and everybody that they find downloading music onto the net. They start out with a letter giving you a choice of paying them a "fee" or legal action. Most pay the fee. In the news a guy is suing them. The early news report had him just loading the music to his computer and then loading his mp3 player. And the later news report also had him downloading to the net. The one big deal in this suit the industry is bringing against this guy is a statement that downloading to an mp3 player is an illegal action. So if they win the suit then that will give the industry another weapon to use against the public. Of course that flies in the face of reasonable use. But common sense and the law haven't lived in the same house in quite awhile. Some don't believe a judge will sign off on the suit with that clause. I suppose we will see. So there is currently no law against loading an mp3 from yer computer. The recording industry wants that to change. The travel agencies went through a hard patch when technology made them obsolete. They still exist. Just in a different form. The recording industry is fighting the same change. I don't believe they can stop change.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
Gwizz
CEO

Hawk wrote:Where did you read that?
Kim Komando news site.

I can send you a copy. I think doing that is legal.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Do you have a link to the article? I looked but couldn't find it. I'd like to read it.
Hawk
Gwizz
CEO

It is on a news letter she sends out.
I think I got it a few days ago.

Send me an e-mail at my short address.
Knave
Conductor

Last edited by Knave on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
Gwizz
CEO

This free e-mail from Kim came today.
called "News of the day."

I had deleted it but was able to pull it back up.
Capn Twisted
Hobo

Move to Canada ;)

>Judge: File sharing legal in Canada<

>Actual Ruling<

>Copyright Law used in reaching the decision that the copying part was not an infringement<
80. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the act of reproducing all or any substantial part of

(a) a musical work embodied in a sound recording,

(b) a performer’s performance of a musical work embodied in a sound recording, or

(c) a sound recording in which a musical work, or a performer’s performance of a musical work, is embodied

onto an audio recording medium for the private use of the person who makes the copy does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the musical work, the performer’s performance or the sound recording.
Of course it could be argued we paid for the privilege with our taxes rofl
Women want a lot of things from one man. Conversely, men want one thing from a lot of women.
Czar Mohab
Hobo

The real question is, where will they finally realize that it is beyond stupid to restrict things like this? Honestly, I paid for the CD, and while I have yet to fall into the iPod/mp3 player snare, I would honestly hope that in the unlikely event that I do, I shouldn't have to pay again just to listen to those tunes elsewhere.

They really need to look at it this way:

People record stuff from TV all the time to watch later. Some people pay for the privilege (Tivo) while others (like me) don't, using antique VCRs and VHS tapes. This, so far, isn't illegal. So move this to another medium, been around a lot longer, RADIO. What is to stop me from recording stuff from the radio? Well, I don't have a cassette deck anymore (but the commodore 128, NES, SNES and a few others are still around), but there is not much restricting me from hooking up the audio out from the stereo right into either of my computers and telling them to record. Sure, the quality sucks, and I'll get commercials, talk and blather, and static; but what is stopping me? There's enough software out there that I can edit out the mumbo-jumbo and make .mp3's or .wav's or whatever. Just like with TV, this isn't (that I know of) illegal. Seeing as technology is as advanced as it is, I can play a Sirrius or any other satellite broadcast on the same radio that I record from, greatly improving the quality. I've then paid for the music and life goes on. Right? So why are they restricting (or proposing to restrict) how we handle our music?

What it comes down to is greed. Napster was just fine back in the day, still have a bunch of stuff before that went pay-per-song. What a bunch of crap when the "Almighty Dollar" is more important than people's freedoms. Now, you can't really get any free music. $$ per song! Woo hoo! And these clowns all want you to pay extra just to put their CD on your iPod.

It isn't just music, either. Cellular phones, the afore-mentioned Tivo and Sirrius, iPods, PC's... All kinds of crap that we no longer need to be paying for as we do (granted, you'll still have to pay to get the thing (like a new tower for your PC), but why pay so much to get it to operate?). There is so much free stuff out there, that I am surprised that few people take advantage of it. !!ff!! I don't know enough to swap Vista for Linux (or other OS), but I'll be darned if I ever pay to upgrade it. We don't need IE7, we don't need MS office, we don't need photoshop, Acrobat, etc... I'll never pay again if I don't have too. And before you say anything about my compy running Vista, I paid for the compy, Vista came with it ^**lylgh .

Want free stuff? Go here. These are all legal. 100% legit.

Now, I can neither confirm nor deny that I have found the whereabouts of some programs that remove licensing tags from mp3's, but you won't find me posting those, if I had them. Which I can't say if I do, or ever did. I don't want any letters !hairpull! . I can say, however, that I stumbled upon some other forums where they very blatantly tell you how to prevent having WMP tag you very own music with said tags. Not compatible with Vista (didn't try it so i don't know if that part is true).

Czar "Expecting a letter anyway" Mohab, who will take it right to Judge Judy. She's got my back. Right?

P.S. Sorry for the partial thread jack.
Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life... probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry.