HELP!!! My PC is crashing.

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Re: HELP!!! My PC is crashing. Unread post

Recovering - thanks for asking and your thoughts and prayers.
Ferroequines UNITE!!!

http://azrailrat.com/
thegrindre
Engineer

Well, that 23" HP was so bad, I took it back, because I needed the money anyway, and bought a $100 18"er to get by with.
I still have a 90 day money back guarantee so, within 90 days, I should have enough saved to get a good screen.

Boy, this little screen is something to get used to...

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Knave
Conductor

I would suggest a little duct tape over one eye. That will help with the small size of that screen.

Tell me this though, Is the picture quality more in line with what you want and desire in a monitor?
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
thegrindre
Engineer

Hi Knave,
This smaller monitor is as bad as the 23"er. To top it off, it's SMALL!!! !hairpull!
I don't understand something about these two newer monitors.
Any resolution from the native gives horrible graphics display which makes all their other resolutions useless. Why offer them??? **!!!**
My broke monitor was capable of displaying excellent graphics in ANY resolution I wanted to set it at. {,0,}

Has me puzzled. **!!!**

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

Knave
Conductor

I have no answers for you. Since you bought yourself some time, why not go window shopping? A lot of the box stores have banks of monitors set up. Cruise through and see if you can't find one that gives you what you need. I am somewhat flummoxed. The screen shot you posted looked good to me. However, as you do a lot of 3d sculpting, you may have a finer palate when it comes to resolution than I do. And a greater need. Prices on these things have dropped over the years. There is something out there that will do the trick for you. Oh yeah, while window shopping be sure to ask if the signal is coming through a vga style cable or through a hdmi cable.

I have one neighbor I can hit with a rock. And of course we don't get along. He has a tree that has grown a branch blocking my TV satellite signal. Of course finding that out, that tree has become his favorite and how dare I suggest it be trimmed. Putting myself in his shoes, I have to admit I am a bastard for suggesting that. So we canceled the subscription. And now watch tv on our computers. Either rented dvd's or over the internet. Not the best, but ya do what ya gotta do. Long story short. When Elder Son built his new computer six months ago he installed a blue ray reader. HDMI cable to a tv/monitor with 1080p. Video card 1080p. And it is a beautiful thing.

I know you do not have a 1080p video card with a hdmi plug in. However, sometimes those graphics cards die. So I am suggesting you keep an eye out and when you find the monitor that works for you, see if it is 1080p capable and or has an hdmi plug in. Plan for the future if you can.

Ina couple of days our computer rebuild will be complete and I'll be able to tell fer sure if all that 1080p and hdmi is worth a bag of magic beans or not in regular game play.

A fixed income make upgrades a long drawn out process.
thegrindre
Engineer

Hi Knave,
Oh, I have been and found this beauty. WOW! I may have to step down a notch or two to the 24"ers being on a fixed income but, I believe this will do the trick. (Read the 'blue' print.)
http://us.aoc.com/monitor_display/619fh

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

thegrindre
Engineer

Little update here... I just found my old 22" NEC CRT on E-Bay!!! Exact same model as I lost in that fire. Brand new, still in the box for $200!!! !*00*! I paid over $650 for it back then! !hairpull!
I'm crying 'cause I'm $100 short. :-(
(This being on a fixed income really sucks.) !*th_dwn*!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

Knave
Conductor

You have seen these things in person? Are they in a bank of monitors all showing the same picture or is it hooked up to a computer so you could take it for a"test drive"? They seem to fill the bill from their descriptions.

The 26 would be huge! The monitors for our upgrade came in before anything else. They are 25" and almost too big. Just almost. A 24 would probably make anyone happy.

A new crt on e-bay? I dunno about e-bay. You are either missing out on a deal, or a fleecing. And I have no experience to tell which. Son in law, 'ol Fireball, does a bang up job buying an selling RC parts there.
Gwizz
CEO

My NEC 9600 computer still works. I bought a new one after the NEC monitor decided to live on the floor and found it a hard place to land on.
I wish the company still made desk tops computers. I never had a moment of trouble with that CPU. Only the monitor didn't like trains running all over it and left.
thegrindre
Engineer

Nope, no 'hands on' viewing. I've got to trust someone in this world, don't I?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-MultiSync-FP214 ... 3361866eae

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

thegrindre
Engineer

Interesting... This seller has gone from 4 left and sold to 10 more now available...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0682725620

I may still have a chance to obtain one by the end of the month. ::!**!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

Hawk
The Big Dawg

NEC is a good brand for CRT's too.
I read at the TomsHardware forums that the monitor you're looking at sold on EBay in '03 for $500. It had good reviews.
It has a USB hub built in but obviously it's only USB 1.
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

I ran that exact CRT for close to two years and never had one complaint. Never used the USB, though. **!!!**
If it's/they are still available in a couple more weeks, I'm buying another one. !*th_up*!
I loved that monitor! ::!**!
Notice the resolutions? !*00*!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

Hawk
The Big Dawg

I wish I had $400.00 to spare. I'd buy 2 of them (I run a dual monitor set up).
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

I hear ya, Ed. I wish I could buy two, also, just to have a spare.

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

thegrindre
Engineer

I just bought this baby; {,0,}
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/moni ... 3WHUKFK/ZA?

Although, it doesn't quite do what my old monitor did, it's pretty close to doing everything and appears to be a keeper so far. I have a 14 day money back guarantee from Best Buy so, I've got two weeks to play with it. !*th_up*!
It'll be my first LED monitor and I wonder how long it'll last. **!!!**
This afternoon has been quite satisfying. I've been able to set some odd balled resolutions that show clear and concise graphics but not all, as my old monitor did.
The 1920x1080 is its native resolution but I've been able to alter that to my liking.
I've also discovered that the other monitors couldn't handle my graphics card properly which was the big problem. This one's pretty close.
It's one of Samsung's newest releases this year.
I like the 5 million to one contrast ratio. That helps with the great graphics. The others I've tried have been as low as 1,000 to 1 or 10,000 to 1. This baby is kickin' butt. !*00*!

Oh, Best Buy has it on sale for $299, btw so I bought one. (Did I mention that today is payday? ::!**! )

(0!!0)
Last edited by thegrindre on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Rick

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Glad you finally found one you can work with. ::!**! (0!!0)
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

My graphics card can run 2048x1536 or something which is way above the monitor's native resolution but, this monitor will handle it. The other's wouldn't.

This one seems to be working just fine. !*th_up*!

I've got an e-mail out to that guy selling those CRTs. I've asked him if he'll take a US Postal Money Order but I haven't heard back. I don't think he will, though. PayPal is all he advertises.

EDIT: I just heard from the guy. He'll take a MO but wants it to clear his bank first. ^**lylgh I don't guess he knows what a US Postal Money Order is. *!*!*!

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

Knave
Conductor

Looks like a nice one. Congrats. Nice size and looks sleek on its stand. Hopefully it will allow you to get back to your crafting of railroad art.
thegrindre
Engineer

Thanks, Knave. I think it'll work out. !*th_up*! Although, I'm not really into the looks of the thing but rather the performance... now that you mention it though, it's black with a clear plastic frame around it. Two-toned?
I'm still playing with things. ^**lylgh I got it all screwed up right now. !hairpull! I'm going to have to hit the defaults button and start all over again. *!*!*!
It's got a lot of fine tuning adjustments on it... !*th_up*!

I'm going to have to admit, I like it so far, for a LED/LCD type of monitor.

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick