Ubuntu & I

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ubuntu & I Unread post

I finally broke down and installed Linux-Ubuntu. I used Wubi to install it and set up the partition at 30 GB and let Wubi do the rest.
I typed this in Open Office under Ubuntu and it was posted using Firefox under Ubuntu.
I figured I'd give a report on how this experiment is going.

So far I see Ubuntu as merely a novelty as a lot of the programs I need don't work under Ubuntu and replacements are somewhat limited.
Drivers for my Canon MP530 printer aren't available from the manufacturer and what I've found on the internet leaves a little to be desired. The printer driver isn't free and it won't work for the scanner. There is a scanner driver but installing it and the printer driver is a bit over my head at the moment.

I must say though, internet connection seems to be a lot better, as is email connection (I'm using Thunderbird).

I haven't figured out how to get the 'cube' working on the desktop yet, even though I have it checked in the effects options.

I use a Logitech Trackball mouse and needless to say they don't have any Linux drivers so my mouse has limited functionality.

I can get sound but I have to crank up the speakers (master system volume is at 100%) and then I get a lot of hiss and crackle. Need to figure that one out.

I can move some files around between the XP environment and the Ubuntu environment but I'm not sure to what extent this can be done. It works fine with spreadsheets and images though.

System resource usage is a great deal better than in XP. I have 1 GB RAM and in XP I generally have about 700 MB free just sitting there doing nothing. As you can see in this screen-shot Ubuntu uses less (I have to go back to XP to upload the image as I haven't found a decent FTP utility for Ubuntu yet).

Well, that's enough for now. I'll add more as time passes. Maybe this blog will give a bit of aid to someone.
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

Re: Ubuntu & I Unread post

Hawk wrote:
Well, that's enough for now. I'll add more as time passes. Maybe this blog will give a bit of aid to someone.
Yes, thanks. The 'problems' you are having are something that keeps me from installing/trying this open source OS. I feel it is still in the 'baby' stage and not really ready for the general public.
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

Hawk: Has you tested gFTP as FTP-client. It has a graphical interface and has at least the basic option.

If you have the right to write to the Windows partition, then you can copy/move any file you like, or at least in regular Linux.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

besterik wrote:Hawk: Has you tested gFTP as FTP-client. It has a graphical interface and has at least the basic option.
I agree, gFTP is what I use, and i find it great, :)

In regard to moving stuff from XP,
i guess it will just depend on the file format,
open office will be able to open most microsoft word stuff,
Amarok and Kaffeine will be able tom open the majority of audio and video files., etc etc

I guess you are unlucky that your mouse/printer are not working properly,
mine worked straight away/out of the box without any configuration.

I am not sure what is going on with your sound, i seem to get better/louder volume with linux than I did with Windows, (but i guess could be differences between GNOME and KDE).

With the cube thing you have to download beryl or a similar program/package to use it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

The mouse works fine as a basic mouse. It's just the extra buttons and features won't work without the right drivers.

I'm not going to worry about the printer. As I said, Ubuntu is mainly a novelty and I don't see it replacing Windows at this time and the printer works fine in Windows.

I now have Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed. I need to figure out why the sound is so crappy though.

What I've read about beryl I think I'll pass on that for now. Maybe someday it will be a stable option but right now it's not.
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk wrote: What I've read about beryl I think I'll pass on that for now. Maybe someday it will be a stable option but right now it's not.
I agree, I am not using it yet either, especially since my laptop only has a 64 mg graphics card.

In regard to KDE, i know in regard to sound that there are much more options than in windows (it not just volume),
make sure PCM is switched to full, as well as volume.
If PCM is low, you can hardly hear anything.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Alright. I'll try that.
Do you use Konqueror or Firefox?
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

I mainly use firefox for the web,
and konquerer as file manager,
(i also occasionally use Opera on the net)

You want Kmix to chnage sound stuff in KDE.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Kmix. OK!
I prefer Firefox over Konqeror for a browser. I didn't know Opera had a Linux version.
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk wrote:Kmix. OK!
I prefer Firefox over Konqeror for a browser. I didn't know Opera had a Linux version.
well they do, :)
just visit http://www.opera.com/download/ using linux,
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Question: Is there a way to have the desktop background image change on a regular basis, like it wuld if you have WebShots installed and set up for that?
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

Hawk wrote:Question: Is there a way to have the desktop background image change on a regular basis, like it wuld if you have WebShots installed and set up for that?
I am not sure what webshots is,
but:
on KDE you can have the desktop set so it changes every x minutes,
and you can make a list of the images you want it to cycle through (or tell it to chose randomly).
To do this in KDE,
-Right click on the desktop, and choose the 'configure desktop' option.
-Make sure you are in the background tab, (should already be)
-click the 'slideshow' radio button
-click the set-up button (next to slideshow radio button)
-set it up/define how many minutes there.

Hopefully that helps, :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

That option isn't available in Ubuntu.
I'm going to have to uninstall the OS again.
I installed Ubuntu, then used Synaptic to install Kubuntu inside of Ubuntu and I don't think they get along so well in such close quarters. I keep having problems with the desktop and things not working.
I think I'm going to uninstall and this time install only Kubuntu and run that for a while and see how I like it.
Then I'll probably uninstall that and install Ubuntu and see how I like that. Then I'll decide which one I like better. :roll:
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

ok,
yeah, you really need them installed separately,
as separate os's,
they can stuff things up if you have both installed,
good luck with Kubuntu, (i find it better)
:)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I'm in Kubuntu now. So far-So good. :D
Hawk