Programs WORKING, NOT WORKING and SO-SO-WORKING on Vista

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
HighVoltage
Brakeman

Programs WORKING, NOT WORKING and SO-SO-WORKING on Vista Unread post

Hello everybody!
After a long time of being absent I'm back again...
one reason being that I hardly played anyting in the last few months - also due to my big notebook HDD went dead and I had to reinstall my old small HDD on which I hadn't installed any games due to very limited space... :-|

anyway, I have ordered a new notebook (Dell XPS M 1730) and of course it comes with Vista !*00*!

now I'm somewhat shocked when I heard that rather many programs that worked on XP (in fact I can't remember any that didn't) and also were written no so long ago (considering that XP is out since 2001 I think) - including my beloved RAILROAD TYCOON 3! !*00*! !*00*! - don't work on Vista...

does anybody knows of more programs that don't work on Vista? or is there a list of incompatible software/games?

thx in advance!
Last edited by HighVoltage on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With the Railroad, distances are disappearing, material interests are promoted, culture is raised and spread.
Carl Ritter von Ghega
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Programs NOT working on Vista Unread post

Hawk
HighVoltage
Brakeman

well, getting XP is no problem, as I'd use the XP that came with my old notebook

recently I wasn't so upset about Vista anymore, because from what I could find out the whole design (ressource eating graphic effects and all the other sh...err stuff) can be adjusted so that it almost doesn't look like Vista (just like the XP 'Classic' view option)...

but then I had to read that RT3 obviously doesn't work...and maybe a bunch of other progs...

well, as for RT3, thanks for the link in the other thread, that might help !$th_u$!

anyway, when I get the computer I'll tinker around a bit first - I'm doing a complete uninstall - the computer has 2 HDDs (2x200 GB with 7200rpm) which are connected with RAID 0 (so these 2 HDDs appear as one) - but I prefer a seperate disk solution - one for system and programs and the other for media. That way I can change the media disk for a bigger one just in case I need some more space later.
With the Railroad, distances are disappearing, material interests are promoted, culture is raised and spread.
Carl Ritter von Ghega
HighVoltage
Brakeman

btw this was also a general question... :-)

does anybody know of any other programs that DON'T work with Vista? (don't consider old versions of programs which don't work with Vista but a newer version does - well, consider them so I can get these versions in time!)

:?: :?: (0!!0)

Edit: thinking of games here in the first place... I play AoE 3 (should run) and Anno 1701 (1701 AD) as well as Anno 1503... then occasionally also SMRailroads, ... does RT2 work on Vista?!? Diablo I + II ... then Shattered Union....and some more of the old stuff
Carl Ritter von Ghega
HighVoltage
Brakeman

ah, alright...seems that I've found some page kinda that I was looking for during my search of the RT3/Vista solution...

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/W ... ility_List

Compatibility list which also lists programs that have minor and also major problems under Vista
8-)
Carl Ritter von Ghega
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Great link Volty. Thanks! !*th_up*!

I believe I'll pin this thread.
Hawk
HighVoltage
Brakeman

Re: Programs WORKING, NOT WORKING and SO-SO-WORKING on Vista Unread post

that's fine 8-)

btw I changed the thread title a bit to suit the actual topic now...
Carl Ritter von Ghega
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Good idea! !*th_up*!
Hawk
HighVoltage
Brakeman

OK, my notebook has arrived on Friday...with Vista...
was quite upset when first using it, but I calmed down a bit...many old games DO run on Vista, ... I even tried to install Caesar III , which the compatibility list mentioned above lists it as 'unplayable/major problems' (keeps asking for disk even if its inserted)...but that might have been another problem at the user who entered this - so no guarantee that the list is 100% correct - but it's a good help nonetheless...
anyway, so far only

RT2 Platinum (with patch 1.56, issued after Platinum) runs perfectly, as well as Shattered Union
Anno 1503 which is missing on the list also runs good...

so far only RT3 (the patch versions 1.05+) makes problems...will try out anything in the next few days and let you know
(having said that, I didn't try out different versions of the other games mentioned)

so, again, this list might not be 100% correct but it does help you a lot anyway if you're looking for infos, hints and tipps concerning compatibility of programs with Vista
MountainMan
Cat

As a general rule, I have found that the majority of programs do not work with Vista, including many that say they will. Why, I don't know. Presumably to boost the market shares for the software developers who will now come out with "new", and therefore more expensive games.

We recently had to replace our computer and could not get anything that still had XP on it. My game of the moment, Silent Hunter III, states that it is fully compatible with Vista, but it does not work and the laundry list of incompatible files is astounding.

I think the upgrade for a MicroSoft OS might be Apple/Mac.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

If you still have a copy of XP available, you could wipe your hard disk and install XP. Use a low-level format for the hard disk, booting from a CD, to bypass Vista's OS.
Greg1340
Cat

If he does that he may have to go into the Bios setup if it has a SATA drive and set it to compatability instead of AHCI which is a VISTA thing. I had to do that to mine so the XP CD would recognize the hard drive, and now my Vista problems are gone. I have XP Pro S3 on my laptop now. ::!**! !**yaaa and I got all the XP drivers from Toshiba, even though the laptop comes with Vista, they had them all for XP.
Sugus
Engineer

Possibly - this time I'm not too late!

Due to the fact, that "Running RT3 under Vista" is really a problem, I'll post you my solution.

(BTW: I own a HP Pavillon m9560ch with NVIDIA GeForce GT130, ...)

Using VMware (WMware server and WMware player are free - no problems concernig $)!
I set up a "games related session" for XP Pro, thereafter I did:

RT3 install "anno domini"
applied the CtC expansion
forced the patch 1.05
and finally run the patch 1.06!

Fortunately, everthing I missed on Vista 1.04 beta level seems to behave as expected!!!
There's no business like RT business ...
nedfumpkin
CEO

Sugus, are you saying that you have 1.06 running on Vista?
Sugus
Engineer

Ned, sorry for my late answer ...

As I described above, I've running an RT3 with Patch 1.06 in a VMware XP-Session under Vista, e.g. Vista is the host system running the VWware player, which virtually runs XP, which finally runs RT3 with Patch 1.06.

After having played some weeks, I have to say, that it runs not as good as it should do. The sound flaters off an on and the graphic is poor in comparision with RT4 (Patch 1.04 beta) directly under Vista (or RT3 directly under XP). Seems that VWware is excellent for professional applications (plant control systems etc.), but not appropriate concerning (older) games. For these reasons, I gave it up to play RT3 by means of VWware tools.

Maybe, I'll check it again later with XP mode in Windows 7 ...

For now, there are two Sugus-specific solutions:

1. I gave my youngest son a new PC (with Vista :lol: ) on the condition that he had to give me his old one (with XP). That's no problem for him, because he games on an XBox only.

2. Under Vista, I'm just starting to go with Trainmaster. Ned: Have I to install Alpha 1 with Patch 1k first or should I directly start with Alpha 2?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Sugus wrote: Ned: Have I to install Alpha 1 with Patch 1k first or should I directly start with Alpha 2?
Maybe you should ask this question in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2041 Ned might see it sooner. ;-)
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

I agree - sorry for my misplacing ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It wasn't misplaced. There was just a better place for that question. ;-) :salute:
Hawk