Hello 7

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Knave
Conductor

Hello 7 Unread post

We went and built a new computer. All from Newegg. Built three really. Elder Son had his unit go on him so he went first about six months ago. Mine and the Wife had to wait until now.

Lian Li case 70fnw
Intel dp55wg motherboard.
Intel 661 cpu 3.33Mh
4gigs kingston memory
msi ATi 5770 graphic card
corsair 650 watt Power Supply
1 TB hard drive by Western Digital
Microsoft sidewinder keyboards
either/or
Microsoft sidewinder mouse
logitech mx518 mouse
Arctic 7 cpu cooler rev 2
Windows 7 64 bit Pro
LG Blue Ray player(dvd drive)
Hanns G 25 inch lcd wide screen monitor

Of course Elder Son uses a 32 inch LG tv for his monitor. And is wireless with keyboard and mouse.
We used a belkin transfer cable/ software to move files from the old computers to the new.
So our photos and music are there okay. The games didn't make the trip.

I have Dungeons and Dragons Online up and running. That was transferred. I was able to load Command and conquer 3 okay.
I am coming up empty with Sid Meir's railroads. I downloaded the demo and it plays okay. I may need a new disc as mine does have a few minor scratches.
Haven't tried Tycoon three yet. May need help with Trainmaster instead. The Wife is used to moving files as she is a proficient with Sims.

Everything is 1080p capable. Mdmi cables are being used. I am loving the picture on the screen with what I do have loaded. Even with games that are Direct x 9 I am seeing an upgrade in picture quality.
Still moving in. What a difference over a pentium 4. I am really liking this.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
thegrindre
Engineer

Re: Hello 7 Unread post

Sounds like you have got things under control. Although Win 7 would not be my OS choice.

Hey, not to jump off topic too badly but, I used to be a dungeon master, way back when and, was always curious about the PC version of D&D.
Should we start another thread to discuss it? I'd like to know more...

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Knave
Conductor

DDO is my game of choice right now. I play this game with my Wife and Son. When we were in Seattle a while back, it was through the game we kept in touch. Although it started as a subscription MMO it recently went free to play. So it would only take some time to download the client and give it a try. It has various "worlds". We play on Ghallanda. A headset with a mike make communication easy. Other wise you listen to us yammering on through your speakers, then type what you want to say in the chat window. It went direct X 10 not long ago. And is going Direct x 11 later this month. It can still be played with dx9 no problem. Our build can handle dx11.

After seeing the game on our Elder Sons tv after the upgrade...There was no way I was staying with dx9. I knew there was going to be a few bumps in the road in regard to my older games. RRT3 inparticular. XP stops at 9. I was only moving beyond with 7. A few bumps are scratched disks. Missing disks. Missing access codes. And so it goes. We will figure it out, one game at a time.

I can't get Railroads to load. I did download the demo and it plays just fine. So that doesn't seem to be a 7 problem. The graphics are an improvement over what I was watching on the old machine. I was looking forward to see if the game would lag out in the late game when track was laid. Tycoon 3 may be an issue. not done working on that yet. So give me a few more days.

Command and Conquer was easy. I just had to remember to patch it right away. Again the graphics are improved. Of course the improved graphics are coming from the improved graphics card.

The nice thing is I still have my old machine to play the old games on. I just need to find space.

We used a belkin cable and software disc for moving files over from one computer to another. Went very well. All my pictures and music made the trip. I just have different software handling them. The Wife had a similar experience.

The Son an I had a 'savings' program going for over a year. Newegg would have something on sale we wanted. So we would buy it and 'save' it in a closet.

Its late here. I'll send you a tell later.
Knave
Conductor

I finally got SM railroads to play okay. First I had to wash the fingerprints off the CD... Delete everything Railroads from anyplace then reinstall. Even with the latest and last patch it will crash at random times and places. Not that big of a deal as it auto saves every minute. I am just not used to it crashing. In the late game I don't have the lag I was experiencing when laying track.

Next I will be working on RRT 3. I have all the downloads saved. I was looking into trainmaster. However all the instructions to install are not where I can find them. They seem to be scattered over a number of threads. Unless I missed something. And there is a good chance of that happening. I personally have no experience moving files and stuff. However The Wife became very proficient doing that with her Sims games. I will be happy with "just" rrt 3. I just have to wait until I am in my rest period to do what is necessary.

Silent Hunter, wolves of the sea loaded in okay.

Not all blu ray will play. When it does, bring me popcorn.

Games that are not 7 capable are played on the xp emulator. This is done automatically and seamlessly.

So I am still working some kinks out. Having fun as I go.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Knave wrote:However all the instructions to install are not where I can find them. They seem to be scattered over a number of threads. Unless I missed something. And there is a good chance of that happening.
On the main page for Trainmaster ( http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/TM/ ), right under the download link is a link for the read me which gives installation instructions.
There's also an automated MSI installer somewhere over at Molse's German site, but I've not been able to find it and so far no one has sent it to me for addition on this site.
I believe Ned is working on an updated MSI installer though, and I think he's going to add it to this site when completed.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

Indeed there is an MSI installer out there for TM (not the campaign installation part though). I stumbled across the MSI link while viewing RTFanStation's site. The link has also been mentioned in a couple threads as well. But as Hawk said, I think Ned's going to make a couple more minor changes before he wants to release an updated version of the MSI on Hawk's site.
Knave
Conductor

Why ...Thank You... Hawk! I never saw that until now. And thanks Blackhawk for chiming in as well.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's what we're here for. :salute:
Hawk
Knave
Conductor

Time for an update. Actually this is a thinly veiled cry for help. I love this computer and 7 when it come to some games. And hate it when it comes to others. Sid Meyers Railroads. Crashes. A Lot. I have the Patch. Still crashes. It seems to crash when I am asking the game to do more than one thing at a time. Laying track plus whatever else the game does on its own. I could use some advice there. RRT3. I can load the game off the disk and play that just fine. I can't seem to load any other patch or mod or map. I could use some advice there. I have been through all the stuff that is here and I am getting nowhere fast. I was playing my older games on my xp machine which was a great solution. However that is no longer possible. I will drop my normal rambling in favor of brevity.