Going wireless

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Gwizz
CEO

Going wireless Unread post

After I installed a wireless router, I chose to hard wire the three computers. I have two on line and bought the wire for the third. Yesterday I was only able to get on line to a few sites. Hawk's, The terminal and google were not one of them.

This morning I turned off my air purifier and what do you know I now have full access to the internet again.

It must be communicating with the wireless part of the router. Now how do I turn the wireless part of the router off?

My daughter gave me a system that is a TV/computer that controls a microwave and bread maker among other things. It is wireless. It had a problem communicating. Now I wonder. Hummmmmmmm
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Unread post

GEE WHIZ Gwizz! Won't be long until we are ALL like that guy they caught on the airplane - - - WIRELESS UP THE KAZOOOOO :!: :!: :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

What kind of air purifier is it? I can't see any logical reason as to why an air purifier would interfere with RF transmissions, and if it does, it's probably in violation of the FCC non-interference regulations and needs to be redesigned.

What type of router do you have?
If it's netgear, typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser should take you to the config page for the router, password will be admin:password unless you changed it. From there there should be a panel on the left of the screen. One of the options will be wireless settings, from there you should be able to turn off the wireless portion of your modem.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

Thanks for the info Marksman.
My electronic air cleaner does affect my radios, but I don't use it very often. Seattle weather does a good job on its' own.

I have a 2 wire wireless unit. I try you info. Gateway also give me a different method that I have yet to try. I'll just leave the air cleaner off until this thing will go on the net.

One computer works find but the 2nd and biggest computer will not connect. The configuration I'm told is correct

I've spent a lot of time with my phone companys support people and with Gateway support people. I have a lifetime support contract with Gateway and they tell me I will loose it if I build a network. Gatway says their 2 wire unit does not create a netwiork. Each says the problem is with the others equipment.

I installed a new ethernet net card today. Turned out to have the same tecnology and chip set as the old one only with a different name. The price was OK for the brandnew old technolgy. ($0.99 on sale) So far it did not work any better
joebandit
Hobo

Unread post

Was it able to connect and now it can't? Which OS? The one company blaming the other is as old as computers are.More than likely they are both wrong or giving wrong answers.

If it is Windows XP, try this.

Click start>click run>type cmd Click ok
in the box type ipconfig and press enter, what does it tell you?

A screen-shot of it would be helpfull,but if not, just write down what it says.

If Win98 or WinMe it is done differently.Not sure about Vista, Yet!
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

As joe said,
Any windows up to XP, and probably vista as well, find "Run" in the start menu (placement varies depending on the OS). Type CMD (same for all OS up to XP, probably vista) then ipconfig (again, all OS, probably vista).

I say probably vista because it is highly unlikely that MS messed around with the the command line prompt when the machine is operating in DOS mode, since those commands are as old as DOS itself.

Another way to test if the problem is the network card, modem, or external, is to type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" into the command line prompt. Replace the x's with the correct IP adress, first for subnet (if timeout than either a firewall is blocking the pings (unlikely as they are local pings) or the card is bad. For the modem, ping the modem's IP, if this fails and the subnet passed, than your modem is likely not configured properly. For an external problem, ping a remote IP that you know is active, or a domain, such as http://www.google.com. If this fails and the others passed, make sure your firewall is not set to lockdown, if it isn't, there is likely a problem between your modem and the server that you are pinging.
joebandit
Hobo

Unread post

To add to that, in case you have no clue what he said. The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should be the address reported by ipconfig as the gateway or router.The modem is likely at a totally different ip anyway depending on whose service you have.

I have seen cards display a green light, when they have green lights and still be bad. Since everything these days has 100M they use a yellow light for activity and green is for 10M.

You can also right click on Network Neighborhood or My Network Places icon , depending on OS, and right click on the "local area connection" then click on the repair item. There are several ways to troubleshoot the problem other than calling some support clown that is probably not going to be of much help.

The point I am trying to get you to is seeing if a piece of spyware or adware has pirated your ip stuff.,which it can do, and it exhibits the same problem.And worse is there is no piece of software made yet that can fix it.
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

Probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll add it anyway. Don't put the "" into the command line prompt, just the ping xxx... part.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

This computer is running the ME OS. Had no time last night or today to work on it ( My doctors wanted my attention) .

So far I can't even ping the modem. But the modems light is on that says I'm connected. I unplug the cable and the light goes out. I've switched the cables with the old 98se computer and it can still get on DSL, which I'm using now, but not the ME computer

I reformated the hard drive to clean it and did a clean reinstalled of the OS and a number of other programs from their own CDs, I did install Zone Alarm and Norton, but have them shut off.
They used to work together in the past. I know others have problems using them together.

I've changed the address codes a number of times, as have the support people. I had the DSL service man come out and he checked the DSL equipment as having no problems.

It must be in my setup somewhere. When I get home tomorrow from the doctors, I will try again.

Thanks for all the help.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I'm now on DSL with both computers. :lol:

Had two problems:

#1 with the MS network adapter that I've never used.
#2 with 3 TCP/IP adapters, one too many.
Removed and reinstalled the MS adapter and
removed one TCP/IP adapter. It took out a second adapter that it was linked to that I had to reinstall.

It feels good after 3 weeks to find and fix the problems.
Now the boss doesn't have to tell me to get off the phone line so she can make a call. Or my kids saying dad you line is always buzzzzy. :D
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

This DSL business sure can take hours away from a person.

I lost connection to my newest computer while trying to download Norton definitions just 2 days after I got it working. Called for help. the gal spent 1.5 hours helping me try to discover the problem. During the process I lost DSL connection to the other computer.

It wasn't until I noticed the light for the 4th port was still lit after I had unplugged the wire to the computer. Nothing was connected to it. The girl put me on hold to seek help from who she said was a higher up. While she was away I moved my connections to the two unused ports. I changed the IP addresses back to where they had been and I was on line in about 3 minutes with both computers.

After this 3 week process, they said a new Wireless modem is in the mail.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

What you guys need is this: Google TiSP
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Now I've seen everything. :roll:
Broadband is really going down the toilet. :lol:
Hawk
Gwizz
CEO