This just in - Win 10 a FREE upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Shamough
Conductor

This just in - Win 10 a FREE upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users Unread post

Microsoft just announced that Win 10 upgrades will be free up to one year from its release date for Win 7, 8 & 8.1 users.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-10-w ... 28944.html

Shamough/Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: This just in - Win 10 a FREE upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users Unread post

I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 from the lenovo outlet which has required me to now actually use win8. On the Yoga which can convert to a tablet, the touch screen aspect of Win8 actually has some functionality to it. However, I still think the Metro menu should only appear when being used as a tablet. To require all computers to use the Metro (or whatever they call it now) menu instead of a start button was a bad choice, as well as moving the settings and shut down menu.

On my computer running Win7 I highly doubt I'd upgrade, however, on the new (although slower Yoga, it was bought mainly to carry to and from work) I may check out Win10. One of the big concerns I have is how heavily based in the cloud will it be. I want my files to be my files, I don't want them automatically stored on Microsoft's Onedrive where they can be hacked, spied on, erased, data-mined, etc. instead of my own hard drive.
Shamough
Conductor

Re: This just in - Win 10 a FREE upgrade for Win 7/8/8.1 users Unread post

My #1 son is in IT. We'll upgradee when he says itee bee oke-dokee.

As for the cloud ... NOT IN MY LIFETIME !!! I'm sure that that cfrapee can be turned off or not even started. (Don't have enough info at present tho.)

Shamough/Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!