Help- My Dell Laptop just stopped working!!!

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Help- My Dell Laptop just stopped working!!! Unread post

Hi, i need some serious help with my Dell laptop: (Inspiron 1150 )

Earlier today, the AC adapter seemed to start having problems. I have it set so that the screen brightness is full when on battery, and on lowest brightness when the AC power is plugged in. the computer began to keep changing brightness every 5 seconds or so, evidently meaning the AC adapter was keeping getting disconnected. I tried holding the AC cord in the exact same spot (it was not moving at all), and the same thing still happened. (note that green light is staying constantly on on the AC power thingee, and i have tried it on multiple power points). I taken out the battery, and plugged in the AC cord. This made a green light flash on the left, and the yellow battery light constantly flash. So, it seems to detect that the AC thing is plugged in. However, if i try turning it on like this nothing happens. So i go and find my Dell manual, and try and find out how to fix this. When i go to turn on my laptop again, (with battery in). the screen no longer works at all. The green power light comes on, and it makes noises like its starting up, but the screen just stays blank. (caps lock etc are not working/lighting up on keyboard either). So, i went back to the manual, and saw that it suggested taking out, then reinserting the RAM, if the screen fails like this. I tried this, and it made no difference. A few hours later, i notice that it suggest holding the function key, and turning it on, to run dell diagnostics, so i try this, and the screen light up, however it seems to pause in the boot (dell screen thing) , since it is not loading/moving at all, so i turn it off. However when i try again, now the function thing fails to turn on my computer/the screen also! I have also tried connecting to an external monitor, but it too does not load/work. Note that about a year and a half or so ago, i had a problem with the adapter, where it would just not charge at all. However, Dell sent out a technician for that, and afterwords the computer charged again, although you had to ensure that the AC cord was plugged in in a certain way/angle, otherwise it would not charge. (before it used to always charge, no matter what position/angle plugged in at)

Amy help about what to do would be really great! :)
(i have already e-mailed dell, and posted this on their forums, but am yet to get any kind of response )
thegrindre
Engineer

Unread post

Sorry, Dan, you bought a Dell. Now is a good time to buy a real computer. Go out looking for a good gaming machine. My HP has been a jewel to me.
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

One possibility is that the jack on the motherboard has loosened and is only sometimes making contact with the terminals on the board. I don't know how common this is with Dell's, but have seen several posts about how to repair this on HPs along with several sites that offer replacement board jacks to fix-it-yourself.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

@thegrindre:
yeah, this has really put me off dells,
my desktop is a HP, and it is older than my laptop, yet i have never had any problem with it,

@Wolverine@MSU:
yep, from what an ex-dell guy on the Dell forums has told me, it sound like it is a motherboard issue. :(

found this site: http://www.laptoptec.com.au/
which does motherboard repairs on laptops,
and i am thinking of sending it out to them
(and Dell support has STILL not got back to me!!!)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I'd bet my last paycheck that Dell support won't get back with you for 2 reasons.

1) It's over a year old.
2) Dell has the worst support in the industry.
Hawk
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

yeah,
this incident has really made me lose any faith which i may have had in Dell,
i think i will go with that site to try and fix the problem,
and next time i get a new pc, it definitely will not be a dell.