Lavasoft, Aluria, and eTrust - Be vewy, vewy cawful!

Discussion of any computer-related issues.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Lavasoft, Aluria, and eTrust - Be vewy, vewy cawful! Unread post

I just recently found out that Lavasoft (makers of AdAware), Aluria (makers of Spyware Eliminator), and eTrust (makers of Pest Patrol) decided to remove an adware definition from their database.

Why did they do this? It seems it was a technical error on the programmers part, as claimed by Lavasoft. If this is true, could it be that Lavasoft, Aluria, and eTrust had the same 'technical error' at about the same time? Me thinks not.
Lavasoft has claimed that they have reinstated the definition back into their database but I haven't heard that claim from eTrust. This claim from Lavasoft leaves me a bit suspect of their product. Aluria is a bit suspect as well.
For verification purposes, see this thread at Broadband (DSL) Reports. The thread is 40 pages of posts starting back in Feb. of this year. I read the first page and the last page and it's convinced me to remove AdAware from my computer.
Hawk
Elite Marksman
Watchman

Unread post

Hawk, this could be the same thing as when the people who made Gator threatened a lawsuit because they claimed that their product was not spyware.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I've been reading the thread at the link I posted ever since I posted. I'm currently on page 9.
It seems it might not be as you suggest, although Lavasoft's response to this has been greatly disappointing.
They have been condescending and have repeatedly removed posts pertaining to this matter. That's not a good sign.
Their claim for removal of this adware definition is due to it falling under their TAC score of 2, but that doesn't allow for folks that may have got this adware before WhenU allegedly changed software to allow for it to gain such a score.
On top of that, they also removed PurityScan, MyWay and NewtonKnows (it has not yet been determined what else has been removed) from their definition list, while other companies did not, including-but not limited to- McAfee and, of all companies, Micro$oft.
I feel Lavasoft has jumped ship on their credibility, and this isn't just my !#2bits#! but a lot of others as well, as seen in the mentioned thread.
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

Well, I am not sure about current situation Lavasoft, but previously it has been my favourite antispyware. Free one which honestly has been a good one. I am not currently using it though, as my annoying F-Secure virus program prevents using AdAware. After I am able to wriggle out from F-secure contract, I will install AdAware again as my main antispyware program. Adware spots a lot of stuff, which this commercial F-secure ignores.

I guess part of the problem is to what is legitimate advertising. A small European company may be especially wary of US lawsuit culture. So they may take drastic step just to be sure. Lavasoft would be bankrupted by a major lawsuit by one of these advertisers. (I wonder if there is a different Euro-version available. Probably not)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I wouldn't be all fired up about using AdAware as the main anti-spyware, you would be opening yourself up, but at the same time I wouldn't say to not use it at all.
They are removing adware/malware from their definition list. Could be due to legal reasons. Could be financial. Could be a combination of the two. They aren't saying, but they are doing it (and not telling you they removed anything), along with Aluria and eTrust, although eTrust did realize the situation that was arising and straightened their act out-post haste. Aluria, on the other hand, happily crawled into bed with one of the adware companies-WhenU, and added their anti-spyware program to WhenU's web site. Here's the clincher; When you run the anti-spyware offered by WhenU, it installs their adware while running the anti-spyware. :roll:

Here's a kicker in the whole mess. Lavasoft is removing stuff from their list but at the same time they offer uninstallers for the stuff they're removing.
Now, I ain't the brightest bulb in the pack but it seems to me (and a whole bunch of other folks) that if you run AdAware and it doesn't find one or more of the adware/malware de-listed items, how are you going to know to go to their web site to get the uninstaller, and if they removed that particular adware/malware from the list, how can we be sure that the uninstaller will actually work?

Another point to make against Lavasoft is their frantic attempts to hide this whole story from the public. Most of the threads in the Lavasoft forum discussing this matter get deleted. The responses Lavasoft has come up with in other forums has left folks with a felling that Lavasoft is very condescending to their customers as well as beating around the bush with what few comments they have made. They've already lost thousands of dollars from corporations that have dumped them in lieu of something else.

I would strongly suggest using more than one. SpyBot will find the stuff the Lavasoft is removing. So far I haven't read of anything that Lavasoft finds that SpyBot doesn't.
Another highly recommend tool is Spy Sweeper, but it's payware, and believe it or not, another one that ranks high on the list of good guys is Micro$oft's Windows Defender, which is freeware, but it won't find the spyware installed by Micro$oft (yes-Micro$oft does install spyware on your computer, especially with Vista).

BTW! All this info can be found in the thread at the link in my first post. :wink:
Of course the final call is yours. {,0,} I haven't removed AdAware, but I have installed Window's Defender and Spy Sweeper, both of which seem to be unconcerned about whatever it is that's prompting Lavasoft and Aluria to play with the bad boys. At this point I'm only on page 20 of 40 in that thread but Pest Patrol still seems a bit undecided how they're going to act. :wink:

Edit 1: One more thing I'd like to add here. I can't specifically verify the quality of any of the above mentioned anti-malware programs simply because none of them have found any nasties on my computer, and I've run all four of them. :mrgreen:

Edit 2: Ya' know what really scares me about all this is the fact that lawyers and judges are giving advertisers the ability to force us to put up with their crap. Not too long ago advertising lobbyists attempted to pad the right pockets in DC to get lawmakers to pass a law that would have made it a federal offense for owners of Tivo and other such recording devices to skip over commercials.
To the best of my knowledge that law hasn't passed--yet, but it's still a scary thought.

Personally, I make every effort to avoid buying products that are advertised in any way other than the old tried 'n true 'word-of-mouth'. :)
Hawk
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I appreciate you writing posts like these. This is useful info, thanks. (especially for someone like me who barely understand email posting)

I read the three pages of the thread before getting tried. However I didn't find anything alarming for me. I do not know WhenU, but I do know Gator. I have to say that I don't like it, but the same time I do not consider it being harmful for my computer. What I am worried of are key loggers and trojans. Adware isn't designed against trojans, but have done decent job with other nasties. (Not that I got many of those. 2 trojans in 6 months is my bug count)

However, I do understand what you are saying about the advertising. I find it hard to get real information about the products. A good example is a health food ad in Finnish TV, which proudly announces that “3 Finns out of 4 recommends” this product. Really, and when they did this study. Did they really ask from every 5 million Finns that if they liked the product? :) And compared to what? D)

With the internet and everything there is plenty info out there, but finding it is getting more and more harder. (yes I know you don't say more harder in English ;) ) And as this “free” internet is paid by the ads, I don't see the problem will decrease. Oh well, I could go on and on about the ads, but this is getting serious OT, so stop it here ;)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Don't worry about your English. There's a few million American citizens that can't type English as good as you, not to mention the 20+ million illegal immigrants that don't know English from Chinese. :lol:

Those 4 Finns you mentioned was all they did the study on. They were all paid for their cooperation. The only reason the 4th didn't recommend the product is because they weren't happy with the pay. :lol:

Personally I don't want anymore of that adware/spyware crap on my computer than absolutely necessary. I do understand that by running XP I have to put up with some of it or the OS wouldn't function. That's one of the many reasons I don't like XP, and don't even get me started on Vista, the snooping OS of all time.

I just don't think it's right for an anti-adware/malware/spyware utility to intentionally not include specific nastyware in it's definition list and not tell their customers they are doing that.

As I mentioned I got to page 20 and had to back away from that thread for a while. It's pretty much the same stuff throughout the whole thing though. I am interested, however, in the end of the book. :wink:
Hawk
Stoker
Engineer

Re: Lavasoft, Aluria, and eTrust - Be vewy, vewy cawful! Unread post

Spyware "removers" that actually plant their own crap on your computer are a proven fact. Other things to keep in mind are things like "encryption" software- etc. The Powers That Be that are using the Internet as a giant fishing net to gather information on everyone use "encryption" and "Hide your IP" types of software to single out people of special interest. Also, whatever you do , NEVER go to any of the "Free Credit Report" sites EVER. Think about it. You have to type in loads of personal information to get your "Free Credit Report". How does someone steal from your bank account or use your credit? They get the information off of the Internet. How does it get on the Internet? YOU TYPE IT IN. These people claiming to "protect" you from identity theft- etc, are at best getting you to send out your personal information over the internet- thus setting you up to be ripped off, or at worst (quite probable)are actually SELLING your information to third parties.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke