vista not working

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Capt Jack
Cat

vista not working Unread post

I have read, re-read all posts on getting this game to work on Vista hm premuim, to no avail. I have down loaded your file vista fix, and it shows in
data/config file but game won't launch at all. The first time I launched the game I followed the directions, turned off the "t&l" check, but ever since
then game won't even won't stay launched. 1-2 seconds after getting to main menu, it crashes. I have tried compatibility tab, etc. No go.

I saw a video by quill18, and he seems to indicate that both files in configuration file needs to be changed and his link to his file is not working ; but downloading your fix, only the engine.cfg is changed. True, yes?? Which is it. Do I have a buggy download??? If not a bug, how do I fix this.

If your fix no longer is not working can someone send me both files to change, if that's what is needed.

Thanks,
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: vista not working Unread post

The "Disable T&L" check needs to be ON. The Vista Fix is a way to turn that check on without having to run the game (it wont run at all so there's no way to get to the switch).

I don't really like the Vista Fix (disabling T&L by turning the switch ON) because the game's colors don't display correctly on the price maps (there's not enough detail). I prefer to use the files here: viewtopic.php?p=40962#p40962. Download those, paste into your game folder and it's likely that the game will work without using the "Disable T&L" check. Let's us know if it works.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:I don't really like the Vista Fix (disabling T&L by turning the switch ON) because the game's colors don't display correctly on the price maps (there's not enough detail). I prefer to use the files here: viewtopic.php?p=40962#p40962. Download those, paste into your game folder and it's likely that the game will work without using the "Disable T&L" check. Let's us know if it works.
Should the Vista Fix be replaced with the file(s) you link to?
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk, you could place it as an option, but I feel it might be best to wait till more people have used this method just to be safe before thinking about replacing the Vista fix. The Vista fix is working for many people already.

The file's come from something for Wine (iso's link). At some point in the future this may be updated, don't know if that could affect our use. I don't think there is a problem with copyright because the site says "You're free to use it for any purpose, study what it does, modify it to suit your needs, or share it with your friends." If you upload it, don't credit me because it is iso's method.
Capt Jack
Cat

Let me see if I understand what you are saying now. I download those files into RR3 directory, and launch game as usual????

Well, I did and get to main menu, try to launch a new game and CTD. Does the fix engine.cfg need to be there with these new files?? I put
a quarry on Steam forum also, and someone replied that he got the game to work by launching in safe & windowed, but I don't know how to do
that. The game seems not to keep the fix cfg. file after first launching and trying to start a game from main menu.

I am sorry am not literate in doing this stuff, but every game seems to require a totally new scheme.'

Thanks
RulerofRails
CEO

Capt Jack wrote:Let me see if I understand what you are saying now. I download those files into RR3 directory, and launch game as usual????
Yes.
Capt Jack wrote:Does the fix engine.cfg need to be there with these new files??
No. I think that if you are getting to the main menu you have a different less common problem as well.

To run the game in safe mode, go into your RT3 folder to find a batch file (icon probably looks like a couple of machine cogs) that says "Launch RT3 in 'Safe Mode', - Windowed".

The following are some suggestions to try. I don't have a definite "solution" for you.
-Make sure that you move the RT3 folder outside the Program Files folder.

-The normal shortcut to toggle Windowed mode is F9. As an alternative to the above, you could try switching at the main menu.

-Try different compatibility settings. Use Run as Administrator as well.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote: -Make sure that you move the RT3 folder outside the Program Files folder.
To do that, you could either uninstall your current installation and reinstall it somewhere outside the Program Files (86) or the Program Files folder, or you could try the technique used for multiple installations, as discussed in this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
Capt Jack
Cat

It may be that for some reason the game is not retaining all files. I have had very same thing happen with other Steam games. A file, here or there
just keeps dropping out!! MY EmpireTW did it about a month ago, and a year+ or so, Civ5 did too. I had to verify and restart every time I wanted to play.

I asked Steam support, but all the said, "it must be your computer". So, maybe some how, it sort out. I tried the safe mode/windowed, but all I get is
a box pop-up saying can't find Steam.

Thanks for all the suggestions.