Permission requirements for patching RT3 to 1.03

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Permission requirements for patching RT3 to 1.03 Unread post

I'm trying to reinstall RT3 because I have a new computer, but it won't let me patch to 1.03. I saved RT3 to a folder on my desktop because of poor experiences with it saved to Program files, but now it won't let me unzip the patch. When I run the patch program as an admin, it says it can't create the export file. When I try to manually drag the files into the folder, it says I need permission to replace RT3.exe. How am I supposed to get any higher permission if being an admin isn't enough? I mean, I'm the only person on this computer, so... Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Permission requirements for patching RT3 to 1.03 Unread post

What version of windows are you using? And have you tried installing RT3 to somewhere like C:\RT3 rather than to the desktop? Remember the desktop is another window's directory like C:/programfiles so it may not want to write over a file there. If you are manually trying install the patch you could try deleting the original RT3.exe. (although I don't remember if 1.03 modified the Rt3.exe or just replaced it)

Also wouldn't it be easier to skip installing 1.03 and just install the 1.04 Coast to Coast patch?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Blackhawk wrote: Also wouldn't it be easier to skip installing 1.03 and just install the 1.04 Coast to Coast patch?
Like he said, just skip the 1.03 patch and go directly to the C to C (1.04) patch then the 1.05 patch.
You don't need the 1.03 patch.

Also, if you plan on installing the 1.06 patch, see this thread about multiple installs.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

I have Windows 7, so doesn't that make me have to go through the complicated process of installing 1.03, changing a graphics setting, then adding 1.04? I remember having huge problems with that which made me rip my hair out (almost). I'll try again today and see how it works.

Edit: I got it! This time I was allowed to delete the RT3.exe, whereas last time it said it was open even when I closed it. I disabled Hardware T&L and am well on my way back to normal!
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."