RRT3 1.05, 106, and Windows Vista... a Fix

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
OilCan
Engineer

Re: RRT3 1.05, 106, and Windows Vista... a Fix Unread post

For the record, the fix worked like a charm in my Vista 64 bit system. No hiccups, no problems. I have the 1.05 and 1.06 versions loaded and both work as smooth as they ever did in XP. It has been fantastic! :salute:
Sugus
Engineer

I'm with you - Vista is crap, but RT3 still moves the engines ...
There's no business like RT business ...
usn1861

Thank you very much, after a couple of weeks at sea I got everything going as advertised.... I love the longer trains and the different locomtives, too bad they never really did hit the idea of an "a" with a 75 car train of auto parts.....

Thanks
RObb
johnb
Cat

Hi all just signed up in hope but i just cant sort this graphics drop thing and have tried every different setting and trick i could find on the forums.running windows 7 64.replaced graphics card too.very frustrating.i wonder if anyone is still looking at this.MS seem to have no answer to it.

hope this is correct thread for this

johnb
Hawk
The Big Dawg

(*!!wel aboard John. :salute:

Have you tried the Vista Fix found on this page; http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm ?

Are you running the game in a 32 bit environment enumerator?
Hawk
johnb
Cat

thanks for answering......yes i tried the fix no change.hope i installed it right but seems idiot proof.it seems to just play great but gfx smudge out.i tried installing it in the 64 bit program files folder but dont work.so i am running in 32 program files folder.not tried patch 106 yet but i dont think that would help this particular problem.i tried rrt3 on 32 bit windows 7 also and got the same thing.i have all the patches put on in order.might try clean install again due to new graphics card but i'm not holding my breath.could be the dual core processor causing a little conflict somewhere.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I doubt it's the processor. I have a dual core running XP and I don't have a problem.
What brand graphics card are you running? Seems to me that some of the newer ATI cards cause problems with older games.

Just remember, the Coast to Coast Expansion is version 1.04.
Hawk
johnb
Cat

i copied in c2c as it had a problem installing..........swapped from a nvidia 7600 gt to a radeon hd 5750 and got exactly the same thing......only changed that yesterday.game starts at version 1.05 with the c2c heading on game menu.also tried renaming 1.03 patch and popping that in....file looks a mess lol
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, wish I could help more but I don't have Vista or Win 7 so I can only go by what little I've read about it.
Hawk
johnb
Cat

thanks anyway hawk but it seems vista and 7 just dont like rrt3.i will keep trying and will post if i get any success.
Last edited by johnb on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Make sure you are running everything as administrator...
johnb
Cat

all compatability settings are on admin and xp3.all runs great on xp but swapping OS all the time is a pain lol.but recently noticed that not all building were blurry...........the stations are the worse.
ljeffler

I've installed the Vista patch but I can only get RRT3 to run when I operate Vista in Administrator mode. If I'm in standard mode, RRT3 starts up but shortly after loading the Main Menu, I get an error message stating that Windows encountered an unexpected error. Any ideas or am I doomed to running in Admin mode?
mencik

I tried downloading and replacing the engine.cfg and that did not work for me. RRT3 crashed as soon as I moved the mouse.
I downloaded a clean version 1.03 and called config.exe as suggested, ran it, and made the needed change.
When I restarted RRT3 1.06, it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tips. I had been searching for a solution for months, maybe on and off for over a year. I even tried virtual machines to see if that would work, but nothing else did.
I really appreciate the tips.

Steve
nedfumpkin
CEO

Anything that helps someone be able to play RT3 is always a good thing. Happy railroading.
europegrad
Hobo

Problem with Vista 64-bit and RRT3, not the usual one Unread post

Guys,

After 1 1/2 years far from RRT3, I reinstalled it and I really want to play it. Because I moved overseas, I've bought a new, original box with 2 CDs, German Version. I than replaced the .lng file to get 99% of it in English.

I had no problems installing, running and navigating withing the game - as far as I didn't update it.

I carefully followed every single instruction, uninstalled, reinstalled, updated it as directed on this forum/site (1.03, CTC, 1.05, 1.06), did it again, but a problem persists: I get the messa "wrong disk inserted". I installed the "Vista Fix", though I had no problem with graphics/crashing.

Nothing works. No matter which sequence I use (putting disk 1, getting error, putting disk 2; other way around etc), I can't get any update on it. It is always the same exactly error message.

I don't have, and never had on this computer, any virtual DVD driver whatsoever. I don't have any system tweak. My Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is original, came with the computer and is updated with all SP.

After trying more than 4 times to solve the issue, I'm almost giving up, but I don't want to be stuck with 1.01 version !hairpull!

Can anyone help me on that or give me a tip?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Andre - I just sent you an email to the address you registered with.
Hawk
wsmith140

So I did the steam fix, and it works great. Now my question is...How do I patch to 1.06 without it going all haywire? Also does the 1.06 patch need a CD in order to play it?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you have RT3 patched to 1.05, just create a new folder outside of your existing RT3 folder. Name it something like RT3106, or whatever you want.
Then copy everything from the 1.05 main directory to the newly created folder and then update that to 1.06.

That way you'll have a 1.05 install and a 1.06 install. Just create a new shortcut on your desktop for the 1.06 exe.
Hawk
midgetbob

So... found this site first, then the same thread on the steam forums.

I copy the file over to the correct directory, but then run into the "No Disc Present" error. This makes it so I can't get in to change the T&L settings. Steam is fail. Please, tell me I merely clicked something wrong somewhere in my haste to relive the wonders of this game... ha.