RT3 running on Windows 7

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
thietavu
Conductor

Re: RT3 running on Windows 7 Unread post

Steamtrainz wrote:I double checked and again today, there was no long list there were 2 optional updates. Apparently they were all already installed. I tried RRT3! It's still fuzzy! !hairpull!
Somebody's theory was that RRT3 works with less than 2 GB OR more than 4 GB RAM... That just could explain it (I have 8).
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Steamtrainz
Hobo

I have 8 too! :-?
belbincolne
Engineer

Not particularly for my RT3 problems I got a SH laptop with XP Pro on it (My scanner wouldn't work on 7 either - took me 2 hours to get it onto the laptop and still cant get Memory Map onto it). Transfered all the (a) original patches and when they didn't work downloaded new ones from Gamespy - they didn't work. Deleted the lot and downloaded from here. They installed properly on the laptop (tho not the main frame). WELL DONE HAWK IS ALL I CAN SAY :-D :-D :-D :-D - back to working on the main frame. :cry: :evil: :twisted:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

At least you got it running on something. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Moggie
Conductor

RT3 on a mainframe :shock: :?:
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
belbincolne
Engineer

O/K I meant a PC. Anyway I've been persevering with this and have now succeded with CtoC and patch 1.05. Did this by altering my Administrator settings to the lowest possible (Windows say I'm stupid!) but still cant get 1.06 in. Anyway back to returning settings to Normal.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

belbincolne wrote:(Windows say I'm stupid!)
I wouldn't let that bother you. Windows, and it's developers, obviously have an elitist attitude. ^**lylgh
Hawk
ostlandr
Brakeman

We bought a "new" WinXP box just to run games like RRT3 and Diablo 2. With an upgraded video card and the paging file residing on a flash drive, this baby flies!
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
edbangor
Dispatcher

Been gone a while for various reasons but am now back with a new Win7 system so thanks for the instructions in this thread RT3 1.06 is running (and looking) great. (not that I've actually played a full map yet!)

Shame my game play CD is cracked, meaning that there's a 50/50 chance it won't work, but still. I'll see if I can pick up a dirt cheap 'new' on on ebay, and slolve that problem that way (unless there's another I don't know about!)
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Hawk
The Big Dawg

edbangor wrote:(unless there's another I don't know about!)
Here's a couple of places you can still get it.

http://www.justtrains.net/product.asp?pid=271 - $8.15

http://www.sold-out.co.uk/productSoldOu ... tLabelID=1 - $8.05
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Thanks Hawk, but my Play disc has been cracked for a long time, certainly well before I went away, as I don't remember using before, so there must be a way to get around the programme checking for whatever bit of the disc it checks (something in the middle as that's where the crack is), but never mind, I can put up with it for now.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Graham - You have a PM. :salute:
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Thanks Hawk.
thietavu
Conductor

Confirmed: AMD Radeon HD5850 also works flawlessly with RRT3 TrainMaster Edition under 64-bit Windows 7. No tricks needed. This is good News because it means that also the more powerful graphics cards are still usable with this game.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
edbangor
Dispatcher

thietavu wrote:Confirmed: AMD Radeon HD5850 also works flawlessly with RRT3 TrainMaster Edition under 64-bit Windows 7. No tricks needed. This is good News because it means that also the more powerful graphics cards are still usable with this game.
By 'no tricks needed' Do you mean TM works "out of the box" (if it came in a box) and you don't need to do the adjustments that you do for regular RT3, or that it works after those adjustments have been made?
thietavu
Conductor

edbangor wrote:
thietavu wrote:Confirmed: AMD Radeon HD5850 also works flawlessly with RRT3 TrainMaster Edition under 64-bit Windows 7. No tricks needed. This is good News because it means that also the more powerful graphics cards are still usable with this game.
By 'no tricks needed' Do you mean TM works "out of the box" (if it came in a box) and you don't need to do the adjustments that you do for regular RT3, or that it works after those adjustments have been made?
No adjustments whatsoever needed, at least in my case. Strangely, RRT 1.06 does crash, however. Haven't really tried to find the reason for that yet. Using AMD driver Catalyst 11.11a.
thietavu
Conductor

Had to re-install Windows 7-64 Ultimate completely last week. One thing of interest was whether RRT3 and TrainMaster would still work - people seem to have had problems with that, and I didn't remember/know what I had done in order to make them work on my computer...

So, I'm happy to report that my TrainMaster worked 100% "out of the box" with this fresh, completely standard W7 installation. This time I didn't even install Microsoft's compatibility updates. Just AMD Catalyst 11.11c graphics driver and the basic software - that's all. Didn't have a chance to test "normal" RRT3 though (ended up returning to a backup of my former W7 installation).
Last edited by thietavu on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nedfumpkin
CEO

thietavu wrote: So, I'm happy to report that my TrainMaster worked 100% "out of the box" with this fresh, completely standard W7 installation.
That is certainly good to hear.
thietavu wrote: I can't help the feeling that there just may be something (accidentally) "different" in my TrainMaster installation. Since this is an old and already pretty rare game, and I believe all of us here have a legal copy at home, perhaps I could simply pack my working installation folder and make it available for those who would like to try it. The strange thing about TM is that it seems to work independently, no matter where I put that folder... No need to even install the original RRT3!
I'm not sure how you did the installation, but TM most certainly does need files from RT3 to work. You must have inadvertantly copied them, or your installation files weren't the zips from this site, but rather someone's installation.
thietavu
Conductor

nedfumpkin wrote:
thietavu wrote: So, I'm happy to report that my TrainMaster worked 100% "out of the box" with this fresh, completely standard W7 installation.
That is certainly good to hear.
thietavu wrote: I can't help the feeling that there just may be something (accidentally) "different" in my TrainMaster installation. Since this is an old and already pretty rare game, and I believe all of us here have a legal copy at home, perhaps I could simply pack my working installation folder and make it available for those who would like to try it. The strange thing about TM is that it seems to work independently, no matter where I put that folder... No need to even install the original RRT3!
I'm not sure how you did the installation, but TM most certainly does need files from RT3 to work. You must have inadvertantly copied them, or your installation files weren't the zips from this site, but rather someone's installation.
I did the installation the normal way, following the instructions and using only the official, legal CD-ROM version of RRT3 + zips from this site. I made a copy of my RRT3 installation folder, re-named it, and then made the necessary changes in order to turn it into TrainMaster. So, the original RRT3 files definitely are there. Sorry for using a bit confusing words! ;)
canis39
Brakeman

Just ordered my first-ever Windows 7 computer. Of course one of the programs I'd like to install as soon as I get it up and running is RRT3, followed shortly by all the maps Hawk will let me download. :-D

I am getting Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I do plan to get all the "compatibility" updates and I will make sure the game installs in the Programs (x86) folder. Is there anything else I need to know? This thread is a little confusing, probably because it spans almost 2 years. :shock:

Thanks!
like fantasy football? check out Goal Line Blitz! http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=28815200'
visit my mini city: http://salt-rock.myminicity.com/