RT3 running on Windows 7

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: RT3 running on Windows 7 Unread post

I have 2 Logitech mouses. A regular mouse (LX3 Optical corded) and a TrackBall (Trackman Marble). Both work without the Logitech drivers but they work better with them.
I do have both plugged in. I like the TrackBall for normal use and the LXe for gaming.
Hawk
PieLam
Hobo

Hawk wrote:I have 2 Logitech mouses. A regular mouse (LX3 Optical corded) and a TrackBall (Trackman Marble). Both work without the Logitech drivers but they work better with them.
Love my trackball... I like mice too, just not as much as trackballs. 'Course for gaming, I agree mice are much better. On my other PC (the one I have the VM & play RRT2 on), I have a corded Logitech GS400 gaming mouse (Walmart's other non-gaming mice selection didn't fit my requirements (mostly a back button for browsing)
I do have both plugged in. I like the TrackBall for normal use and the LXe for gaming.
Don't you love USB? :-) I sure like that setup!

BTW, I tried
  • uninstalling RRT3 (using Revo uninstaller)
  • re-installing RRT3 from the CD (1.00)
  • re-installing the patches (1.03 then 1.04)
  • re-installing the Vista fix (replacing engine.cfg)
  • re-installing the 1.05 patch
I was going to install the 1.06 patch, but I needed to D/L it first. That's when I discovered that I don't have an archival login (thought I did)
Can you set that up for me with my same forum credentials?

The re-intsall procedure didn't work.. I'd made both a RRT3 105 & a RRT3 106 folders. I planned on copying the entire RRT3 105 folder to the RRT3 106 folder & applying the 1.06 patch to the RRT3 106 folder. If I undertand correctly, this would've worked, right?

One more thing...
Do you have or have you made a back-up copy of the RRT3 Disk 2 CD? (If so, How?) I've been tyring to do this prtetty much all week long (another long story). I've only managed to burn about 6 "coasters"... Blank CDs aren't costly anymore, but still!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

PieLam wrote:I was going to install the 1.06 patch, but I needed to D/L it first. That's when I discovered that I don't have an archival login (thought I did)
Can you set that up for me with my same forum credentials?
No I can't. I don't access to passwords or your name, but you can by reading the post that is plainly there at the top of the main forum page titled: How to Create an Account to Download Files From The Archives!
PieLam wrote:The re-intsall procedure didn't work.. I'd made both a RRT3 105 & a RRT3 106 folders. I planned on copying the entire RRT3 105 folder to the RRT3 106 folder & applying the 1.06 patch to the RRT3 106 folder. If I undertand correctly, this would've worked, right?
Just saying it didn't work is no help. Why didn't it work? We can't help you if that's all the info you give. The more detail you can give the better we can help.
Did you try to install in in the default directory?
What problems did you have that causes you to say it didn't work?
PieLam wrote:Do you have or have you made a back-up copy of the RRT3 Disk 2 CD? (If so, How?)
Nope! Never tried. Did you copy the contents of the cd to your hard drive before trying to burn it? There's probably a bunch of stuff on the 2nd cd that you really don't need and possibly not even want, like the Loco_Commotion folder and the Mall_TYcoon fiolder and the MiniGame folder.
Hawk
PieLam
Hobo

Hawk wrote: No I can't. I don't access to passwords or your name, but you can by reading the post that is plainly there at the top of the main forum page titled: How to Create an Account to Download Files From The Archives!

OK,Ill do that, then... No problem :-)

Did you try to install in in the default directory?
No, beause I didn't think that I should... I may have done this in the past and don't remember for sure.

What problems did you have that causes you to say it didn't work?
Well, I meant still no cursor/pointer... I even tried the same exact procedure on a 3rd PC of mine (an older, but still W7 Pro (64) 6MB) HP PC. I wanted to try it to see if it would do the same thing as my other two. And it did the same exact thing!

Here's a more detailed version:
  • On all 3 PCs, I go into the games\RRT3 105 folder via Win Explorer,
  • aftrer RRT3 finds DSK2 n the optical drive the exe starts,,
  • I eventually get a brief (about 1 second), black screen and the RR spike pointer is there!,
  • RRT3's main menu appears right after showing the 105 version W/O the pointer now.
Did you copy the contents of the cd to your hard drive before trying to burn it?
No, I didn't. Does that work? I didn't think it would since there's so much copy protection on it. (I can understand copy protection on Disk1 but not on Disk2)

There's probably a bunch of stuff on the 2nd cd that you really don't need and possibly not even want, like the Loco_Commotion folder and the Mall_TYcoon fiolder and the MiniGame folder.
Yeah, I've seen all that!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Try this. When you fire up RT3, go to the Settings selection. Remove the check mark where it says Color Mouse Cursor. See if that helps. If not try removing the check mark for Disable Hardware T & L.

If you copy the contents of the 2nd cd to your hard drive, burning it to a cd will work much better.

It is correct that you do not want to install RT3 into the default directory.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

That's a strange problem you have, haven't heard of it before. Have you tried pressing F9 to run the game in windowed mode? Don't know if this will help at all, but it's an easy thing to try, and maybe you will get some new ideas as to what is causing this issue.
PieLam
Hobo

Hawk wrote:Try this. When you fire up RT3, go to the Settings selection. Remove the check mark where it says Color Mouse Cursor. See if that helps. If not try removing the check mark for Disable Hardware T & L.
OK, going to settins is DOable and I can see all the settings, but W/O a pointer, I cannot change anything, unless there are shortcut keys there that I don't know about... I can press <Enter> which will take me back to the main menu.

On the main menu, there aren't any shortcut keys either, but as I hover the trackball over the menu's choices, the menu's items will "light up" plus at the bottom of the screen a menu description appears in white confirming what I've hovered over. In this way, I can click or press <Enter> to go to any item. Unfortunately, this helpful tidbit goes away once you leave the main menu.

If you copy the contents of the 2nd cd to your hard drive, burning it to a cd will work much better.
OK, thanx, I'll try that. I was under the impression that wouldn't work because of the copy protection, so I never even tried that. :-)
It is correct that you do not want to install RT3 into the default directory.
That's what I thought. I've made a games folder on my F: drive (C: is an SSD that I don't put stuff on. It's nearly full (16 GB free out of 120GB) even though I didn't directly put anything on it. That's Win for ya) :-)
PieLam
Hobo

RulerofRails wrote:
Have you tried pressing F9 to run the game in windowed mode?
No, but I'll give it a try on my next run, thanx!

Don't know if this will help at all,
What could it hurt to try, though.
maybe you will get some new ideas as to what is causing this issue.
I'm not sure but after thinking more about this and after seeing my settings, I think my engine.cfg file got changed somehow, how, I don't know. I sure hope that replacing it will fix this!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

PieLam wrote:I've made a games folder on my F: drive (C: is an SSD that I don't put stuff on. It's nearly full (16 GB free out of 120GB) even though I didn't directly put anything on it. That's Win for ya) :-)
Here's a couple links that may help with that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... g-idk.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... lling.html

Although it discusses C drive it might apply to your F drive as well.
PieLam wrote:OK, going to settins is DOable and I can see all the settings, but W/O a pointer, I cannot change anything, unless there are shortcut keys there that I don't know about... I can press <Enter> which will take me back to the main menu.
Maybe you should consider installing the software for your Logitech mouse. I know in my case it did help as it gives you options that aren't available in the default mouse options windows.
PieLam wrote:I'm not sure but after thinking more about this and after seeing my settings, I think my engine.cfg file got changed somehow, how, I don't know. I sure hope that replacing it will fix this!
Did you use the Vista Fix engine.cfg file? Although I doubt this would have any affect on your mouse, it might have.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

To add to what I aid above about installing the Logitech software, I've found that versions later than 6.32 can be a bit problematic, at least on my system. Things could be different for you - but - if you do install the software and things just don't seem right, go to this link

ftp://ftp.logitech.com//pub/techsupport/mouse/

scroll down near the bottom and look for setpoint632.exe or setpoint632_x64.exe, depending on what bit your OS is.
Don't download the setpoint632_smart.exe and stay away from the three versions that have a j in the name (setpoint632j.exe, setpoint632j_smart.exe, setpoint632j_x64.exe). Those are Japanese.

I've found that version to be the best I've tried on this XP rig. Like I say, it might be f=different for Win 7 but the 632 version is Win 7 compatible - I believe.
Hawk
PieLam
Hobo

Hawk wrote:To add to what I aid above about installing the Logitech software,
Thanks for letting me know about this and for the link. When I went to Logitech'a site (about a week ago, now,) I could only find setpoint, not any drivers. I wasn't sure if that's what you meant though, so now I know & I got 6.32_64. I'll give it a try later.

(In case you're wondering, if this is late, it's because I had some family matters to tend to)

To sum things up:

I still don't have 105 working, thought I did using the windowed (F9) mode, but it was only that one time, the next day, it was back to the way it was (no pointer).
I then tried 106... got it loaded then pressed F9 not expecting it to do anything different than 105, but I went on & tried it anyway... Lo & behold it worked! Until I found that increasing the screen res made the window larger, I thought I'd be stuck with a hard-to-see (for me) smallish window. But I tried the max res and the window size was very acceptable!

I've been enoying 106 for the last 3 days! :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Strange your mouse cursor doesn't work in 1.05 but does in 1.06. Never heard that one before.

I don't believe there's any actual drivers for the Logitech mouse. Just software that gives you a couple more options than the default mouse settings.
Hawk
PieLam
Hobo

Hawk wrote:Strange. Never heard that one before.
Leave it up to me & my "good" luck! :-)
Just software that gives you a couple more options than the default mouse settings.
Kinda what I figured... Good to have confirmation, never the less!
Bcbuhler
Hobo

I know this doesn't necessarily pertain to Windows 7. I've been using the Windows 10 preview to play RT3 and it works just as well as it did for me on Windows 7 just to let anyone who is wondering about Windows 10 know.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's good to know.
Hawk