Unable to Save Games in RRT3

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Sonamus

Unable to Save Games in RRT3 Unread post

Hi,

I have finally managed to install and play RRT3 on my Windows 7 machine. I installed RRT3 from CD, installed Coast to Coast, both the 1.05 and 1.06 patch and the Vista/7 Fix. It works fine, however, I cannot save games! Each time I try saving a game, a pop-up window shows up, telling me that RRT is unable to save the game. It says that this might be due to playing in 'Restricted Used Mode' or due to overwriting a Read-only Saved Game.

Does anybody know how I can fix this? It is a particularly annoying problem.

Greets
Sonamus
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Unable to Save Games in RRT3 Unread post

I haven't heard of this problem. I would make sure you install RT3 outside of the /programfiles directory and in it's own directory like C:/RT3. Also you could try right clicking on the RT3.exe / icon to start the game and click on "Run as administrator"
Wiseworlduk
Cat

I have exactly the same problem under Windows 8.
Having followed instructions to the letter, RRT3 is working perfectly until I try to save. It then crashes at 86%.

I have tried every trick in the book, including those suggested by Blackhawk above but to no avail.

It is so frustrating to be so near, yet so far. Any advice would be gratefully received!
Wiseworlduk
Cat

Further to my 'frustrated' post, I think I have found a workaround (rather than a solution) for this problem - through trial and error, rather than technical expertise.

Firstly, I had the compatibility set to XP. Changing this to anything else (it is now set to Vista) removed the crash on save. However, it introduced a new problem, in that RRT3 now crashed on loading. With the autosave turned off, the conventional Save (F7) and Load (F8) also seemed to be causing problems, so I tried using the Quick Save and Load (Shift + 7, Shift + 8) instead, which seemed to work.

So with RRT3.exe set to Vista compatibility, with autosave off, to save a game:

Shift + F7 (Not fully tested, but F7 for a conventional, named save MAY work)

Loading is a little more complex because for some reason, the saved game(s) do not appear in the dialogue on starting up, so:

Start RRT3 as normal.

Start a new scenario

Once started, you should be able to load your quicksave, or a named conventional save.

I realise this is a very inelegant and clumsy way of going about things, but it has at least saved my RRT3 disk from going to landfill. Any longer term solutions would of course still be welcome.
Wiseworlduk
Cat

Just done a little more research, and it seems:

Game must be paused before saving / loading

Use (Shift +) F7 and F8 for saving / loading, not the menu.

Hope it works for you!
Blackhawk
CEO

It's an old thread but I actually came across this error when trying to save a game. I'm not sure if I always had it (as I rarely play RT3 on this computer anymore) or if I messed something up when looking at the debugger. Anyway, I had a working copy of 1.05, copied that to a new directory, patched to 1.06 and it saves correctly now. So re-installing worked for me to resolve this issue.