Please--Step by Step Installation to 1.06 on Windows 7 Pro

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
jedgarthomson
Hobo

Please--Step by Step Installation to 1.06 on Windows 7 Pro Unread post

Hello

I used to play RT3 a lot on my old computer and finally got around to trying to install it on my current computer. I am running Windows 7 Professional and the installation of RT3 is from my original CD disc.

However, I can't seem to get anything to work other than version 1.00 despite trying various things in the forums, probably incorrectly. I can't even seem to get Coast to Coast to apply even though it says all the files have been extracted and unzipped, although I'm not sure how I would know it was there.

So, can someone PLEASE walk me through this step by step in computers for dummies language. I am ready to start from a clean installation from the original disc.

This would probably help others who are computer challenged and can't seem to make the suggestions in the forums work.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Please--Step by Step Installation to 1.06 on Windows 7 Pro Unread post

Currently people are having success getting RT3 working on Win 7 by:

1. Install the game (1.00)

2. Install the 1.03 patch. Start RT3 as an administrator (right click on the shortcut icon and click run as administrator), then go into the settings and turn off Hardware T&L

3. Install the 1.04 Coast to Coast Patch

4. Install the 1.05 patch.

When running the patches you'll probably want to run them as an administrator also. You may also have better luck if you install the game in a folder like C:\games or C:\RT3 rather than the default location of C:\programfiles\RT3. You can use the default location but windows (vista/7/8) now makes it harder to find the folder for saved games.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Blackhawk wrote:You can use the default location but windows (vista/7/8) now makes it harder to find the folder for saved games.
Starting with Vista, Windows will not allow files within the Program Files (86) or the Program Files directories to be changed in any way.
In other words, if you install RT3 in the default directory, you can't patch it because Windows will not allow the exe file to be overwritten with the new exe file that comes with patches.

Also, if you plan on patching to 1.06, you should consider using the multiple install option discussed in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
bmheron
Hobo

Hi, note sure if this helps, but I just got 1.04 installed on my Windows 7 machine. This should get you past the first few hurdles...

Here's how I got Patch 1.04 Coast to Coast to work on my machine.

1) uninstalled RRT3 completely from my machine.
2) installed 1.0.0 from scratch to a different directory c:\Railroad Tycoon 3 (important step)
3) downloaded patch 1.03 right here now on the site (http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm)
4) unzipped the patch files into the c:\Railroad Tycoon 3 (important step - by default it might try to unzip them into the c:\programs folder)
5) before starting program, went into the folder "c:\Railroad Tycoon 3" and right-clicked on the file "RT3.exe" and selected "properties"
6) In the Compatibilities tab, checked "Run this program as an administrator"
7) Started RRT3. Verified at the bottom left of the menu page that its version 1.03
8) Went to the Settings menu and checked off the box for "Disable hardware T&L"
9) Exited the game
10) downloaded and installed patch 1.04 right here now on the site, also called Coast to Coast expansion (http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm)
11) unzipped the patch files into the c:\Railroad Tycoon 3 (again, important step - by default it might try to unzip them into the c:\programs folder)
12) started the game and it worked!
jedgarthomson
Hobo

THANK YOU!!!

Followed the clear instructions and am now patched up to 1.05. Also created two additional folders for 1.06 and Trainmaster as suggested, but can't download these yet as the archives would not accept my forum username and password so I re-registered in archives and am waiting for the administrator approval.

One question---having disabled the hardware T&L so that I could do the downloads, now that they are there should I re-enable it in properties before playing the game? Or should I leave it disabled?

Thanks again

Ron
Blackhawk
CEO

I would leave it disabled. If you re-enable it again it could cause RT3 to not load up again like before.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You could try and if it doesn't work after trying, you could use the Vista fix to bring it back to working.
I would strongly suggest backing up the whole folder that you have the RT3 installations in, if you have the hard drive space to do it.

You can find the Vista fix on this page.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/
Hawk
jedgarthomson
Hobo

Okay, got archival approval. Tried to patch 1.06 to created folder Railroad Tycoon 3 106 (a copy of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder in version 1.05)

Won't let me patch. Says "Unable to open RT3.exe for patching".

Any Suggestions?

Ron
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You did install the Coast to Coast Expansion (1.04), right?

Did you copy the contents of the 1.05 folder and paste them into the 1.06 folder or did you copy the whole 1.05 folder and copy it into the 1.06 folder?

You have a PM. ;-)
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I would also try running the patch as an administration (Right click - run as administrator).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Another thought. Did you point the 1.06 exe to the right folder?
Hawk
jedgarthomson
Hobo

I copied the entire RT3 folder and pasted it into the desktop. Then I changed the name of the folder to Railroad Tycoon 3 106. I downloaded the1.06 patch, but it didn't give me the choice to unzip like the other patches. Instead, It's sitting in my download folder titled "rt_1.06.zip" with my other downloads that worked perfectly. It says the size is 24.4 MB.

In that folder I Opened the file. I then got a window with 5 files, last of which is "setup06". This file does not yet appear to be unzipped, as the size is 24.565 KB. When I try to Open this or Run as Administrator, it leads me to the Language window and the Agreement window. When I then go to install in my renamed copy, "Railroad Tycoon 3 106", that's when I get the pop-up winow saying unable to open exe.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Did you see in one of my previous posts that I said you had a PM (Private Message)?

Try moving that 1.06 folder off of your desktop and into C drive somewhere.
Maybe Win 7 won't let you overwrite the exe (that's what that setup06 is, a typical exe file) when it's on the desktop.

Are you sure you're directing the exe to the folder on your desktop, on the screen that has the destination on it?
destination.jpg
destination.jpg (62.18 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
It might have been best to create a folder on your C drive named Railroad Tycoon. Then install into it.
Here's a shot of my installation set up.
RRT shot.jpg
RRT shot.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Hawk
jedgarthomson
Hobo

Okay, I deleted everything that I had related to RT3 except my fully functioning 1.05 version. I ran this to verify that everything was still okay and it worked fine.

I then created a new empty folder in my c drive, renamed it simply "Railroad Tycoon". I moved my functioning Railroad Tycoon 3 file into this file as a subfolder, as in your illustration.

I created another subfolder named "Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06" under "Railroad Tycoon". I copied my entire functioning Railroad Tycoon 3 file and pasted it into this new "Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06" file. This file is now then a functioning RT3 patched to 1.05.

Once again, I tried to run the 1.06 patch, directing it to this "Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06" location. It still will not patch, I still get the unable to open rt3 exe message. I am at a loss as to what to do, as it simply won't let me apply the patch.

By the way, why is it that this 1.06 patch does not ask me to "unzip to" like all the other 1.03, 1.04, and 1.05 patches asked after I downloaded them and applied them to my original 1.00? Should it be asking me this? On the other patches I never had to try and run the setup separately.

Ron
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The 1.06 patch is a regular exe file whereas the C to C and the 1.05 are zip exe files.
Just a little bit of difference, but basically the same.
The 1.06 exe is zipped up in the zip file, along with the doc files. The 1.05 and C to C are just the patches, and no, the 1.06 zip should not act like the C to C and the 1.05 zips. The files inside the 1.06 patch need to be extracted so you can have access to the 1.06 exe file.

I'm just not sure why you're still having problems with it though. Since I still run XP I'm not going to be of any further help.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

After the Coast to Coast patch (1.04) did you install the patch to 1.05 ?