Much as I would like my RRT2 copy returned.......Win 7 and Patches

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
moriety
Cat

Much as I would like my RRT2 copy returned.......Win 7 and Patches Unread post

.....From the husband of my sister.

Whilst stuck with RRT3,

I recently reloaded it as I no longer had the RRT2 Platinum game (lent to a moronic husband of a sister), but as one of those who authoured several maps such as the Falkland Islands in RRT2 (renamed and abused "Malvinas" by a French bloke many moons ago: First settlement France, 1764, Britain 1765, Argentina first existing: 1815), HOWEVER: try as I might I simply cannot get Win 7 to accept the patches.

I've right-clicked to accept the old transfer patches from my old PC, downloaded the patches anew, logged in as an administrator. told Win 7 everything bar my life history but still when I try to update the game it simply shows the file extraction without changing the game!

My god do I hate Win 7.

Can anyone help with this issue? It's stopping me doing the scenario building I enjoy as I cannot force-start either AI railways or tycoons at set up.

Thanks!

Toby
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Much as I would like my RRT2 copy returned.......Win 7 and Patches Unread post

This topic may be of some help for ya'.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3567
Hawk
moriety
Cat

Re: Much as I would like my RRT2 copy returned.......Win 7 and Patches Unread post

Thanks mate,

The link seems to confirm how ticked off I already am with the monopoly of Micro-dead, just give me an ANNUAL licence fee..........Micro blot is killing PC games from a monopoly position.
RulerofRails
CEO

Which "patches" are you trying to install? Plenty of us here (myself included) use Win7 without issues. The link Hawk gave is for the unofficial 1.06 patch that is fan-made. I am guessing maybe this isn't what you meant? Have you moved the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder out of Program Files to a place where Win7 gives full permissions such as straight on C drive?

You said you have the patches on an old computer. If you have the game on the old computer, or can install it, you should be able to copy the entire game folder onto your main computer. The game should work and it will be patched the same way it was on the old computer. (I am assuming you don't getting a failure to boot from gfx issues. If you do, use the "Vista fix." I also recommend installing the "blurry texture fix" whether you need the "Vista fix" or not.) Something to try. Hope it works.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:The link Hawk gave is for the unofficial 1.06 patch that is fan-made.
The title of the thread does say it's about 1.06, but it does discuss installing RT3 from scratch in another directory, outside of the default Program Files (86) directory, along with all the necessary patches.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

I will try not to divert this thread, but, personally, I never understood why people need to install all the different patches. I got my disc after the game had been out for a while so I automatically had 1.05. When it came out I installed the Coast to Coast, but never had experience with the earlier versions. From what I read, any earlier version can be patched straight to 1.05 followed by Coast to Coast. I can see the reason for starting with version 1.0 if you don't have the "Vista Fix". Otherwise, what is the point of installing the old versions since with the "Vista Fix" we don't have to start the game to disable Hardware Transformation and Lighting?

Hawk, my apologies for not having read the thread you linked to more thoroughly. Indeed it does have more information for installing the original patches than for installing 1.06. As moriety said, "patches" it was a good call. The title is just a little misleading. For all we know that guy probably never got 1.06 running on his machine. :-(

I will just add my two cents about installing 1.06, if that ends up being what moriety meant after all. Make sure, in addition to having the RT3 game folder you are patching in an unrestricted area of your drive, you also properly unzip the installation "setup06.exe" file. Ideally put this file into the game folder and run it there. If that still doesn't work try to run as administrator or change compatibility settings. I was caught out once or twice by not properly unzipping/placing this file and consequently did some head scratching until I realized what to do.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:I will try not to divert this thread, but, personally, I never understood why people need to install all the different patches. I got my disc after the game had been out for a while so I automatically had 1.05. When it came out I installed the Coast to Coast, but never had experience with the earlier versions. From what I read, any earlier version can be patched straight to 1.05 followed by Coast to Coast. I can see the reason for starting with version 1.0 if you don't have the "Vista Fix". Otherwise, what is the point of installing the old versions since with the "Vista Fix" we don't have to start the game to disable Hardware Transformation and Lighting?
Actually, the Coast to Coast Expansion is Version 1.04, so it should be installed prior to installing the 1.05 patch. The 1.03 patch is available because there was a thread here somewhere that in certain circumstances the 1.03 patch was required prior to installing the C to C and 1.05.
The 1.06 patch is, of course, not required but is just a voluntary addition to the game, and should be - although not required - installed as a separate installation. Otherwise maps made in 1.05 may be easier to play in 1.06 due to the addition of being able to haul for loss of profit.
RulerofRails wrote:Hawk, my apologies for not having read the thread you linked to more thoroughly. Indeed it does have more information for installing the original patches than for installing 1.06.
No problem. (0!!0) I was just pointing out that there was more info in that thread other than just about 1.06. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk wrote:Actually, the Coast to Coast Expansion is Version 1.04, so it should be installed prior to installing the 1.05 patch.
Thanks for setting me straight. Been so long since I installed it right from scratch. It's version 1.03 that I have. Back then I didn't pay much attention to the version numbers, it was simply RT3 and learning to play it. I do remember the annoying bug where Textile Mills would shut down production when they had both Cotton and Wool available which was fixed in either Coast to Coast or 1.05. I understand why people could have version 1.0 and need to install 1.03. This is not my area of expertise, thanks for answering my question.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Actually, even if you have Version 1, you still don't need to install 1.03. You can go straight to the C to C, then 1.05. The 1.03 patch is included in the C to C patch.
I think the 1.03 patch came into discussion due to earlier release versions from Steam, but I'm not 100% sure on that. A little searching on the forum may reveal the reason though.
The reason the C to C patch needs to be installed prior to 1..05 is due to the inclusion of some new scenarios and campaigns that are not part of 1.05, but will still be there after the installation of 1.05.
There's also some rollingstock files that came with C to C that are not included in 1.05, but again, remain after installing 1.05
If you don't install the C to C, you will eventually get an error message about missing some car imb file, or something to that affect. That file is not in 1.05.

Edit 1: Maybe this is where the need for the 1.03 patch came from, having to do with Vista.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3545
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I was just about to comment that I think the point of using 1.03 was so you could get to the T&L box on the settings if you didn't have the Vista Fix file, and then I loaded Hawk's last link... and what do you know it's me saying essentially the same thing! ^**lylgh

There probably isn't much need to update to 1.03 then to 1.04 (CtC) since the vista fix file exists now, but it's not a bad idea to keep that information around as an additional route people can try to take to get the game working.