Review of Northern Ontario

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

Re: Review of Northern Ontario Unread post

When this popped up in the scenario section I went looking for it. Being from Toronto I had some interest since it was local. I found the scenario entertaining but very easy.

I'd have liked it better if I felt I was working more withing the constraints of northern Ontario during the early parts of last century. The towns seemed a little large and I'd have preferred goals that dealt with the endless desire for raw resources by southerners and how that fuelled expansion in northern Ontario.
Sugus
Engineer

Northern Ontario Unread post

From my point of view, it is a really exciting scenario! !*th_up*! (Thx to Proudcanadian.)

At the moment, there is only a first try and I got - who's surprised - only silver. I fullfilled any connections, got a LIP strongly exceeding the 20 millions required and was on a good way concerning the CBV. But the real problem are the loads required to be brought to Churchill. RT3 folks: that's the challenge for this scenario - and I hope, that you're impatient now to start 'Northern Ontario' ...
There's no business like RT business ...
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Northern Ontario Unread post

I likewise have not been able to get past the "Silver", and very little for the Gold. Just not enough "wool" for the "clothing", and not much more "cattle" for the "meat". THEN to haul it to Churchill in the time limit is a rrreeeaaalll challenge.

However, I enjoyed the concept of the scenario of the goals set forth. A good amount of imagination. It has been some time since I had last played it, as periodically I go back to "relive" the creations of the past. Some one had gone to the trouble to expend their time, talent, and imagination, so I believe that I should show my appreciation by allotting some of my time to replay them. :salute: !*th_up*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

My latest attempt, although only in the Medium level, went considerably smoother than previous attempts. Did manage a Gold, and that was completed by 1925, 5 years early Must have made the ""right"" mistakes, compared to earlier attempts.

This time I did not go after the BRONZE to make all teh cnn of required cities. I concentrated on Churchill, which takes a """"lot"""" of track. To help maintain the maintenence, I had periodically installed a W/S, and then at every other W/S, I constructed a Maintenence Shop.

Any cattle and sheep ranches were alll directed to Duluth.. MN basically being the major source, and if a Packing Plant or Textile Mill were already built, I purchased them, and also built a 2nd one for faster transistion of commodities. A single engine was used for each raw material, and I had engines on a "stand-by" with custom loads of 3-5 but maxed at 8 for revenue. And it was good revenue. $300-600 per train.

The only problem I did encounter was that of not getting any revenue from a consist of 8 goods out of Ste.Marie, although clicking on each load showed $313. But, having a good influx of revenue from 24 trains, I was more concerned with getting the commodity to Churchill for the requirement. And although in 1925 when I had attained a Gold medal, "goods" only had a 21 credit, while the others were in the 30s.

Seeing the way that the game progressed, I will some day attempt it in the Hard or even try the Expert levels, and it is a fun scenario with a fairly good amount of challenge.
Sugus
Engineer

Ray, you're a fighter! !*th_up*!

Seems, that I have to start the szenario for some tries more ... :-D
There's no business like RT business ...
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Sugus,

I worked hard all my life, so I can appreciate the time and efforts, talent and imagination, which go into these scenarios. That is one of the reasons that periodically I go back to the older creations, as well as those of the RRT2 Gold and Platinum Editions.

Thru the help of others, I have been able to download the manuals for the Original Sid Meir's Rairroad Tycoon, as well as those of the latest Deluxe Edition.

Plus trying to keep up with the new concept in the Trainmaster. Hence, some day, I hope to play all these versions of Railroad Games, and with more time on my hands, to get some of the ""operation"" systems of how the games are played.

Just a "child" at heart, as I grew up being surrounded by a number of different railroads, and even spent 8+ years working as a Railway Car Repair person.

So, during that life time, I have ventured into a number of different scale type Model Railroad displays. Nothing expansive, but an enjoyable hobby, considering the lack of space for any of those creations. Am trying to get one started at present time, but time and weather elements have slowed much of its progress. Just need patience.

Hope that you will continue to advise and suggest ideas to other user creators, as well as creating some of your own imaginative scenarios. Am looking forward to them

:salute: !*th_up*!