Northeast Corridor

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
EPH
Dispatcher

Re: Northeast Corridor Unread post

What was your strategy with the Camden & Amboy? Expansion to Atlantic City?
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
EPH
Dispatcher

So I tried starting as the Camden & Amboy - much easier than I had expected. Connected early to Atlantic City and Long Branch, then bought the Reading. Demolished the Reading station in Philadelphia and built a new one between the BWP and the Pennsy, connecting that to the Camden yard via bridge.

Built a line from Allentown to Harrisburg, then concentrated on buying the Virginia Central and building a new private station in Washington. Then I went north, buying up enough of the New Jersey stock to get a controlling share, then purchasing it. The next-to-last leg was buying up the BWP; the last was getting the money for the Manhattan tunnel to connect to New York.

Made the victory conditions with a few years to spare. Great game - lots of fun!
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
BikerTim
Brakeman

I just got gold medal expert using the Erie. That makes five down, four to go. As for good strategy using the Camden & Amboy, it is not overly difficult. It can easily be taken over right at the start, even allowing the player to start buying into other companies. Then I link up with the New Jersey Central at Trenton right away. As soon as practical, I link up the Philadelphia terminals, place a hotel, restaurant, and tavern in Philadelphia, link Camden with Philadelphia, and link to Atlantic City. From there, it depends upon which competitors I can buy up. The Northern Central is pretty easy. I also provides a toe hold in Baltimore. The Virginia Central, with its link to Washington, is another quick one. The BWP and New Jersey Central help. Sometimes, the Erie will take a sharp downturn about halfway through, making it an obtainable target.
Life is not fair, but it is still good.