Yellowstone - Beta

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
belbincolne
Engineer

Re: Yellowstone - Beta Unread post

Yes it does Hawk - which reminds me that another of my problems is that I cant see the grade as I'm laying track and can only check it afterwards so that can cause me trouble especially in this scenario where you're 6 months in before you start laying. Look forward to the revision to play on my return from holiday.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

belbincolne wrote:Yes it does Hawk - which reminds me that another of my problems is that I cant see the grade as I'm laying track and can only check it afterwards so that can cause me trouble especially in this scenario where you're 6 months in before you start laying. Look forward to the revision to play on my return from holiday.
In the "Settings" menu, go to "Gameplay" and check the "Auto Show Grade During Ttrack Lay". It only shows the grade numbers if you are fairly well zoomed-in. When zoomed-out it just shows the color scale from green to red.
belbincolne
Engineer

Grief - as simple as that!!! :-D *!*!*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

This scenario may not be the toughest, but must be near the top of that list.

I don't claim to be the brightest player, and certainly not the best of being a Tycoon, but I am not making any headway with this scenario. After 6 attempts, I have had any momentum attacked by the Nez Perez, tracks destroyed a couple of times by earth quakes, the necessity to initiate $1-2M in bonds, and the threat to get fired.

So, with the distance to the different cities, the interest on the bonds, a satisfactory "hual revenue" is chewed up, on nearly a break even basis. That doesn't leave for expansion, other than the Hot Springs, and Norris.

By 1881, I have hauled 3 PAX from Gardenier. and have $6K in stock. Statistically not possible to any medal. I did notice that although on a number of occasions, that the "newspapers" indicate that there is a "general prosperity", that the Co Overview only shows a "NORMAL" economy.

The laying of track from Spring to Fall, or better during June-July-August, but then is conpeting with the hauling of PAX.

There is a mention of a depot being incorporated at Gardenier, so that a player doesn't have to expend his revenue in the construction. Well, maybe I am reading the info or statement incorrectly. However if that is the case, nothing has transpired into 1881.

OH yes. This is the 08 version, and I have the 1.06 patch installed.

As I and a couple other threads have indicated, that this is a very interesting concept in imagination and talent, I am finding it some what of a difficult level. But I keep trying

*!*!*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ray of Sunshine wrote:There is a mention of a depot being incorporated at Gardenier, so that a player doesn't have to expend his revenue in the construction. Well, maybe I am reading the info or statement incorrectly. However if that is the case, nothing has transpired into 1881.
At 1881 you're still about 12 years away from that option. ;-)
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

I had game going real well on this scenario, possibly on the way to Silver actually - but my RRT3 crashes when the laptop goes to hibernation and on top of it when I played RRT3 again, out of frustration I tried a different map. Only a few years into it I remembered I didn't have a proper save of the yellowstone try and autosave was lost by then.
So, unfortunately, I can't post my network map and you will have to take my word for it..

Success was based on having a lumber mill a little north of Gardiner, tucked close to the river that comes form Mammoth Springs and keeping two cargo trains there which only came down when they had 8 hauls of lumber in them. This made them run less times, avoiding those winter months as much as possible, kept all my produced lumber away from river transport and maintained a nice price gradient. Over some years I also acquired all the logging stations around, normally as soon as they started to be profitable (it's a matter of keeping an eye on them).

So that was the initial industry investment. With a steady flow of cash it was quite easy to expand after that.

Halfway into, I also placed a meat packing plant close to yellowstone lake (which was amazingly profitable). And when the industry investors came up, I took the logging option. Built 3 lumber mills right away in different locations and took a few years after that to connect to them (otherwise the mountainous areas where they were would be overloaded with lumber and make the mills unprofitable).

Next investment was a steel mill + tool factory in a small city next to the Yellowstone lake - which was about halfway between the iron and coal mining areas. This was quite profitable as well. It was central enough to spread the produced goods around.

Mandatory North-South connection was almost completed (had only to find enough money to cross that final river canyon up to something Bay). This with perhaps half-a-dozen years to spare. The only problem was PAX, I can't remember exactly but it seemed it would be just about enough for Silver.

It was still a very tight game all along. I didn't follow up any of the game offers - no loop, no connection to the miners town, no attempt to bring either iron or coal to Gardiner.

Bottom line is that the scenario is winnable, no need to change anything. Just takes a few attempts and a player that can manage industry AND rail networking AND the interplay of the two. One of these days I shall try again.. but not so soon.
Heads up! !!clap!! !*th_up*!

B
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

brunom wrote:....tucked close to the river that comes form Mammoth Springs and keeping two cargo trains there which only came down when they had 8 hauls of lumber in them. This made them run less times, avoiding those winter months as much as possible, kept all my produced lumber away from river transport and maintained a nice price gradient.
This is a good idea as far as running only full loads, but once they're full, it seems it would be better to let them go, even during the winter, so at least they're moving toward their destination, even if more slowly than in the summer.
brunom wrote:I didn't follow up any of the game offers - no loop, no connection to the miners town, no attempt to bring either iron or coal to Gardiner.
The "loop" is a good deal: you get $2 million for investing a few hundred thousand to build the bridges, and I think it increases PAX traffic.

I agree that buying/building some kind of industry right away, for the right price, is a big help. I try to look for someting already on the map that is just starting to show a profit rather than building; you get more for your money as those just starting to go into the black are usually available at a lower cost than building new. Building to Mammoth Springs early on makes for a pretty good start, despite the reaction of the Native Americans.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:The "loop" is a good deal: you get $2 million for investing a few hundred thousand to build the bridges, and I think it increases PAX traffic.
Actually I think it increases PAX revenue as opposed to traffic, but it's still a good deal.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

As a side note, the Nez Perce incident is historical - nothing to do with the progress of the game.

The Nez Perce were being relocated to a reservation in Oregon in the summer of 1877, despite no signed treaty and no time to sell their land. A large band of about 800 struck out to find a new homeland, much to the dislike of the US Army. There were some 'unfortunate' killings in Idaho and the US Army began a 1000 mile chase of the shrinking band, capturing them just 40 miles from refuge in Canada.

The Nez Perce entered the Yellowstone area in August of 1877 (which is simulated in the game). They ran across about 25 tourists, killing 2 and leaving a third for dead. Of course, they did not tear up any train tracks because there never has been a railroad system in Yellowstone.

The other headline news events (president McKinley and the 1907 panic for example) are historical as well.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I just noticed that this is a 1.05 game. I was playing in 1.06........do you think that makes a difference? I didn't notice anything strange about cargoes being given the wrong name, and I don't think I used "haul at a loss" at all. The only custom consists I had were Express only, but I don't think those adhere to "haul at a loss".
brunom
Dispatcher

Don't hotels, retails and the like appear only if allowed in 1.06 ? Evolution of passengers offer and demand might be different - but I guess the differences might be negligible.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

brunom wrote:Don't hotels, retails and the like appear only if allowed in 1.06 ? Evolution of passengers offer and demand might be different - but I guess the differences might be negligible.
That's probably why I am not able to build Hotels. I was wondering about that. **!!!** I'll give it a try in 1.05 and see whether I have as much success as I seem to be having in 1.06. Thanks Brunom !$th_u$!
OilCan
Engineer

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I just noticed that this is a 1.05 game. I was playing in 1.06........do you think that makes a difference? I didn't notice anything strange about cargoes being given the wrong name, and I don't think I used "haul at a loss" at all. The only custom consists I had were Express only, but I don't think those adhere to "haul at a loss".
Its my understanding that ONLY custom consists will haul at a loss in 1.06V -- auto consists act like 1.05V. BUT, passengers don't follow any of these rules. They go only where they want and when they want, just like real passengers. You can't load them like livestock and ship them to a station of your choosing. Well, you can divert the train to an unscheduled station, but the value of the passenger car goes to $0, unless some of the passengers want to go to the new destination.

Where 1.06V and 1.05V would differ the most in this game is in the hauling of coal and iron to Gardiner. 1.06V would haul regardless of price whereas 1.05V would not.

Hotels/restaurants/etc are turned off in this game (via special condition).

As a note: I've made the suggested changes and am playing a test run. Got to the canyon loop yesterday. PAX count is dismal but industry revenue looks good.
OilCan
Engineer

brunom wrote:Don't hotels, retails and the like appear only if allowed in 1.06 ? Evolution of passengers offer and demand might be different - but I guess the differences might be negligible.
Brunom: You have a private message from me on another matter.
RayofSunshine
CEO

This scenario is a lot of fun, OilCan,

BUT, I cannot get anywhere with it. After 6 attempts I am surrendering to the Nez Perez and the earthquakes. Also to the notice of the "Prosperity economy", when all I see in the Overview, is that the economy is NORMAL. I have been into the 5th year, and believe that I have lost 2-3 trains each of the 6 attempts. With the trains operating at 8mph during the winter, it takes 1 year to make any delivers to any of the cities. There goes any profit of the commodities being hauled. At this point I also have only hauled """"1"""" PAX from Gardiner, even though it was only from the AI's depot. With the economy being such, and the afore mentioned disasters, I have had to take out 2 bonds. !hairpull!

The problem with the whole scenario, is that I like the concept of it. And the last couple attempts I have laid track to the Canyon, instead of that to Madison. This time I also was able to put a bridge across the Upper Falls. ::!**!

A great challenge, but I guess I am just not Tycoon enough to make much headway. But keep up with your ideas of talent, imagination, as your scenarios are very interesting. !$th_u$! :salute:
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Is there an updated version of this map yet?

Don't forget to change the date of the "Lose" event to 1898 instead of 1889.

I tried this in 1.05 and didn't see any difference than when played in 1.06 EXCEPT that 1.05 routed some trains in a CRAZY WAY. I was sending trains back and forth between Norris and Mammoth Hot Springs, which had a direct rail link. I had also built a rail between Gardiner and Grayling that connected to the Gardiner-MHS line and also connected to Norris south of the hot springs area. Instead of using the shortest route going just to the east of the hot springs area, the game had the trains going WEST from Norris to the intersection with the Grayling-Gardiner track, then all the way down to the Gardiner/MHS track and then south to MHS. It did this with some other trains too, routing them in an absurd manner rather than the shortest route.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Another attempt, but forgot to change the date, so ran out of time. Anyway, I chose to go industrial with the lumber industry. Hence some mountainous track prior to Hot Springs toward Grayling, although to get to Grayling, I branched off from Madison area.

There was not a problem with the loop over the 2 Falls,although most hauls were commodities. Then I also laid the loop thru the gyser area. That created a problem. Routing Madison to a water/sand just short of the Yellowstone Lodges, and then another 1/2 way between it and Madison, a notice was given that there were invalid stops. Then I tried 2 different systems. I built a station by the Yellowstone Lodges area, to which the train continued to only haul commodities. It might have been different, as I did not attempt it, to use a large station, to encompass some houses of the Yellowstone Lodges area, to try and achieve hauling PAX. Anyway,, I finally ran a short track fromt he loop to the Yellowstone Lodges. *!*!*!

Has the scenario been updated to change the date from 1889 to 1898? I hate going into the Editor to make changes. :salute:
OilCan
Engineer

I'm working on some final updates today. I made most all of the changes suggested in the beta test plus a couple more. Then I played the game from start to finish making sure all the medals triggered correctly. The wife had me drive her up to Columbus, Ohio for a craft fair this week-end which kept me off-line.

I never intended this to be a very hard or difficult game, but fun to play - and exciting to be in Yellowstone. So, I added an option at the start of the game for the player to take out a 'loan' which allows the player an easier start if so desired. I also took Wolverine's idea of adding by event some industries if the difficulty level is normal or easy. This allows an easier start at these difficulty levels.
I doubled the number of cities from 20 to 40 which adds an extra work to make a medal, but generates more passenger traffic on the map. Gardiner now has 2 nearby cities which helps at that start of the game. I left the Nez Perce alone to cause their havoc.

The most important thing about this game is NOT to build track or stations in the winter. Try to do ALL track and station building between June and August when prices for track and stations are real low. Follow this rule and the game should be easy enough.

(And when the industry offer comes along after 6 cities are connected, stop building track and spend the next three years investing in cheaply priced industry.)

Here's my ledger at the gold medal and the routes I used. I hope to have the final map ready by the end of the today.
Attachments
Yellowstone Gold.JPG
OilCan
Engineer

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I tried this in 1.05 and didn't see any difference than when played in 1.06 EXCEPT that 1.05 routed some trains in a CRAZY WAY.
Maybe this is another bug in the 1.05V? It happened to me as well. I was watching the Gardiner station to make sure the coal loads were being properly counted upon their arrival when a solitary train heads off down the Central Pacfic line towards the edge of the map. It was supposed to be going to Norris! I was too busy to watch for other mis-directed trains during the rest of the game, but it made me wonder...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

All my attempts at this scenario were in 1.05 and I didn't see any of that kind of train routing going on. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Hawk