Pennsylvania 1855-1901

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Pennsylvania 1855-1901 Unread post

The following text is a compilation of what was salvaged from the old Gathering Forum. It contains postings from several different people.
Thanks goes out to Wolverine for putting this all together.

Hawk

Pennsylvania
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could bump the old thread, but then I feel that fewer people will read it than read a new thread.
Again, thanks to Ridge Runner for making the map. :thumbs up:
I finished the Pennsylvania Scenario that I had started a month or so ago, and there are a lot of changes from the original. After tweaking and tweaking to make sure that the victory conditions were challenging, not frustrating, I settled on the following:
Bronze: Haul 1,500 loads of Oil, 750 Loads of Iron and Coal, and 500 Loads of Steel.
Silver: Have Lifetime Company Revenues exceed $1,000,000,000.00
Gold: Your PNW must exceed $250,000,000.00
With over 100 events ranging from Supreme Court decisions to Presidential Election shenanigans to dealing with the influence of other titans of industry like Rockefeller and Carnegie, the scenario is a recreation of the period between 1855-1901 in American history. Set in the State of Pennsylvania, this scenario demands that you keep track of three very different goals: proper consist management, building a strong company, and increasing your PNW. You have to be cutthroat in this one, eliminating the AI's as quick as possible (however they can form new companies if you take them over - I didn't give y'all that "you can only control one company per game" out) while still managing your company growth to the point where you will achieve the average $22,000,000/year revenue stream needed to make the Silver. Your PNW requirements are a lot easier - it only has to increase an average of $5.5 million a year for the length of the scenario.
A couple of warnings and hints:
1. Don't freak if you don't seem to be making any progress in the first 10 years. For example, Oil doesn't even appear until 1860, 5 years after the scenario begins. Production increases brought about by external events and your choices will pick things up after 1865, definitely by 1870.
2. Don't let your personal cash go into the red too much - the stock market is jittery in this game, especially given the two major depressions that struck America in this period - one so bad that, in real life, the US government had to be bailed out by JP Morgan.
3. You might want to start in the NW part of the state (around Erie and Oil City) as that is where the oil is located. You can start in the Philadelphia area and try to get all that passenger traffic going to Baltimore/Wilmington/etc., but I advise against it - there's no oil, coal, or iron around those areas so your bronze conditions won't even begin to be completed until you get in the middle of the state.
4. I have no idea what the deal is with the color - I did not repaint the map, all I did was add events.
I'm going to email it to Hirundo so he can attach it to his site. If you have the original version on your computer replace it with this one. Please use this thread for any comments, denunciations, or (maybe?) praise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like an interesting map. Let us know when you find a host site. I'd like to try it.
I submitted it to Hirundo's site and the H&P.
Actually, I just went to Hirundo's site and he has uploaded it:
http://www.rrt3-fr.com/fichiers/maps.php
Thanks, Hirundo!
I just saw that Mobius posted it on the H&P. Thanks!
http://www.exdx.net/RT2/MapArchive/
A great effort in all senses.
Am I wrong in thinking this goes some way to negating the complaints about the way the economy plays.
I haven't had chance to experiment myself but I see possibilities for creating scenarios which demand many different strategies and goals.
Well, it is renamed so you can tell by that. The zip file name is "Pennsylvania 1855-1901" - I don't know if mobius changed the description though... he might not have.
By the way, there seems to be a problem with the file on Hirundo's site - I PM'd him to let him know. However, the one on the H&P site is OK.
Great scenario
Title is misleading; didn't end until 1911...which was fine by me, needed the extra time!
Got a Silver. Did not meet the haulage for Bronze but had the company revenue...are you doing something differently in the VC's? Oil got hauled with a little attn to demand; steel and coal were near impossible to move. If they weren't moving on their own, they just didn't want to move
Thanks for a challenging romp through a very interesting period in history
Of all the things that I had trouble with, setting up the gold/silver/bronze conditions so that they would work properly was the toughest. And it sounds like I still screwed it up.
It was supposed to end at the end of 1901, not 1911 - if you noticed a dearth of events past 1901, that's why.
Could somebody look at the victory conditions and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Btw, it is possible to move all the necessary cargos - you might want to take a look at the map in the editor to make sure you have enough lines running in the coal producing regions (and for me I usually have a tough time with the iron requirements, not coal). For your steel requirements it is almost imperative that you build a couple of steel mills yourself as soon as you can.
A quick repaint fixed the colors for me. I think some other people were having the editor do some weird things with the paint as well so it might be a good thing for PopTop to look into. On my end the colors were ok zoomed all the way in but looked weird from a distance.
I noticed that the Erie was controlled by Leland Stratford and the game was saying that was me when everything else said I was Thomas Durant. The Erie never did build anything in this last go but I think in the first go it built some trains running on another roads tracks. I don't know if this was intentional or just an oversight. Great scenario, I really liked all the historical events. It adds that extra touch and shows some of the effort involved.
YES! Got gold with ALL goals in 1899.
Oil=2696
Coal=1041
Iron=776
Steel=890
Company Revenue=1.202.930 $
PNW=418.486 $
Anybody else?
I love this map
Disregard about the mixed up players. I had started a game and a company and then repainted the map. Since I have repainted a fresh version this has not cropped up.
I have yet to play all the way through but I am deffinitly impressed with the gold and it is nice to see that it is doable.
Just started this thing today and it's facinating! I've played it three hours today, and am already up to 1862. At this breathtaking rate I should finish in June or July sometime.
One small quibble - The ports have it backwards. They use steel to produce iron, and need alcohol to make sugar. It would be interesting to watch them do that.
Kudos for all the work you must have put in getting the history together. It's a great scenario, and I'm enjoying it much.
wrote: Just started this thing today and it's facinating! I've played it three hours today, and am already up to 1862. At this breathtaking rate I should finish in June or July sometime.
One small quibble - The ports have it backwards. They use steel to produce iron, and need alcohol to make sugar. It would be interesting to watch them do that.
Kudos for all the work you must have put in getting the history together. It's a great scenario, and I'm enjoying it much.

In regards to the ports and warehouses (I'm new at this), I changed it so that Steel was the #1 commodity they wanted and iron was the number one thing they supplied - I had to do this in order to get enough Steel demand and iron supply to reach the goals. In all honesty I had no idea that the supply/demand variables of the ports actually did anything - I thought they were just rankings, ala steel was the most demanded item while iron was the most supplied item.
Congrats! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Enjoying the scenario also, thanks. Question: Is that 750 loads EACH of iron and coal, or is it a combined number?
I also used the editor to repaint the map, those colors were too trippy for me.
750 each
There is a problem with the victory conditions. The game will not end until Bronze is met. Iron just refused to ride the rails for me. It took until 1915.
Can some kind soul give me a clue as to how to change the colors on the route selection screen? Trying to pick out a light yellow station against a light green BG is a bit much for these tired old eyes.
I have used map editors in the past, but have yet to open the RT3 editor.
I'm not one to ever mess with map editors, but I found it fairly easy to repaint the map a medium to dark green. I don't know if this helps you because I don't remember if the route selection screen was affected by the strange multi color problem.
Dunno!
In January 1877 I was awarded the Bronze Medal. At that time I had:
Oil - 1580
Coal - 1582
Iron - 881
Steel - 1267
Total company revenue = 400K
PNW = 133K
Next came the screen asking if I wanted to continue the game. I replied yes and continued. In Jan 1888 I had the following:
Oil - 4050
Coal - 3101
Iron - 1798
Steel - 2715
Total revenue = 1024K
PNW = 508K
It looks like meeting the bronze conditions first prempted award of higher medals because I am now well into 1889 and no cigar.
Dunno!
Yeah, like I said: lack of documentation and lack of similarities in regards to how the "official" scenarios do the exact same thing (I looked at three PopTop PNW victory conditions - all of them were different ) led to much confusion on my part how to set up the win conditions. I tried, and tried, and tried some more but still... no go. I thought I had it before I uploaded v. 2.0 as I did play a successful Gold winning game... but somehow, that Gold win was apparently just luck. Remembering my Gold wins and seeing ddederichs win it is obvious that the only way to win the Gold is to complete the Bronze conditions last.
I was thinking of doing another scenario, but the problems I've had with even setting up the most basic of victory conditions with this one pretty much puts the kibosh on it.
Which really, really sucks.
Add the following condition to both your bronze and silver wins:
years elapsed since game start = 46
That will ensure that neither silver nor bronze triggers before gold. That seems to be the way PopTop does their victory conditions on the ones I have looked at.
I,ve taken a look at the Penn map in the editor and, it seems to me, the following might work:
Bronze Change to
LTD Company Oil Hauled >= 1500 AND
LTD Company Coal Hauled >= 750 AND
LTD Company Steel Hauled >= 500 AND
LTD Company Iron Hauled >= 750 AND
Years elapsed since game start = 46
Silver Change to
Company Cash >= $1,000,000K AND
Player Net Worth < $250,000K
Gold- Change to
Company Cash >= $1,000,000K AND
Player Net Worth >= $250,000K
Lose Event-ADD
Current game year = 1902
If this editor will automatically apply bronze win conditions to silver and gold, then these could be modified accordinaly. I'm going to test this and see what happens.
The only way to do that is to copy it. But your Gold and Silver appear the same. The first one in the list will trigger.
You have to remember for the most part to the game Gold, Silver Bronze are only text announcements that go along with ending the game. In that they are just like the lose trigger. Just a different video. They have no hierarchy connection to each other.
(The exception is that after game scoring is different.)
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am by no means an accomplished map maker, so I will gladly yield to experience and knowledge.
There is a slight difference in the win conditions for silver and gold in that the PNW conditions are different.
The desired win conditions are as follows:
Bronze - Haul the following before end of 1901:
1500 oil
750 coal
750 iron
500 steel
Silver - Bronze plus
Total company revenue of 1,000,000,000
Gold - Silver plus
PNW 250,000,000
Will my suggestions work? Or is there a better way?
Your conditions will work just fine, simply add the elapsed years = 46 thing to BOTH Bronze AND Silver. That will keep Bronze and Silver from triggering early but still allows Gold to trigger. If you don't put that trigger on both Bronze AND Silver, one of them will trigger first.
This is a great map, congratulations. Can someone that understands map making tell me how to fix the funky psychadelic colors?
More on the victory conditions as well:
You need to add the bronze conditions to silver and then the new silver conditions to gold and also add years elapsed since start to >= 46 for both bronze and silver. Finally, you need to re-order the events such that Gold, then Silver, then Bronze as the events fire in order.
That is cause by too weak of graphics card. Upgrade your graphics card.
Maybe, I got a 128MB Radeon 9200 AGP. What I did instead is go into the editor and repaint with the fill tool. That seemed to fix it.
have heard that some of the Radeon cards are not very well supported driver-wise. Can't say that one for sure.
I have a 128MB 8XAGP GForce4 NVidia chipset card with NVidia detonator drivers installed and colours come out fine.
could be the Radeon's directX integration.
thegent, I use the Radon 7500 and know that there are upgrades for the Radon series almost monthly. Since I installed RT3 I have upgraded already three times and upgrading was easy as long as one removes the old drivers first.
Guess I should note this is the only map I had that trouble with. Just repainting the map fixed it.
Great Map! I just finished this tonight, I triggered Gold in 1870 something, don't remember the year, and decided to keep playing to see if I could get the rest. I had all the goals by the end of 1896.
In refernce to the video card issue, I have a MSI Nvidea FX 5600 128mg ddr. I had all the drivers updated and I had to roll them back to play the game. I had the funny looking rainbow colors for map. Didn't take me long to get used to it though, was more interested in the play then the look.
wrote: Guess I should note this is the only map I had that trouble with. Just repainting the map fixed it.
Repaint with the filling tool is quick and easy.
But with every saving (game not map), some small patch of rainbow color came back, usually next to a town.
-> the flaw must be in the file, not in the graphics card.
anyway, great scenario, John !
BikerTim
Brakeman

Re: Pennsylvania Unread post

I have found an interesting sort of glitch in this scenario. Once the LTD revenue generated reaches the maximum of 2,147,483,648 (which is 2 to the 31st power), the amount suddenly reverts to the negative of that amount and starts upward from there. This screws up a player's progress toward the gold and silver medals unless they meet both the haulage and PNW requirements before revenue maxes out. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix this problem, but any suggestions would be appreciated. :?:
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Pennsylvania Unread post

Which Pennsylvania map are you talking about? There's 4 in the archives.
Is this about the Pennsylvania 1855-1901 by RidgeRunner?

I just changed the title of this thread to reflect the right map it discusses.
Hawk
BikerTim
Brakeman

Re: Pennsylvania 1855-1901 Unread post

Yes, it is this map, the one that requires $1 billion in total revenue to win. I made it to $1 billion fairly early, and got up to $2.7 billion with about 15-20 years to spare. If the revenue reaches the maximum, it will revert to the negative of that amount, then start building upward again. So far, I have come up with one idea. That would be to create two new variables. The first would simply be YTD company revenue at EOY, divided by 1,000. The other would start at zero and accumulate the first variable at each year end. That should avoid the max out problem. :idea:
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
RayofSunshine
CEO

I had found that this scenario had a good concept of challenge. However it had a problem. So, has there been an update on the financial agenda? Would like to play in the 1800s era. A steam buff. :salute: !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

No updates that I'm aware of, other than the soon to be available German translation of it.
Hawk
JohnT
Cat

Hello!

I'm the original scenario creator for this map - it was the first (and only) attempt to modify a game in my life and it seems that a lot of people have enjoyed it throughout the years.

The PA map was from a map creator named "Ridge Runner" and it looks as if some people have made some modifications to it since then - at one time, the colors went all funky but I can swear to all of you they weren't like that when I originally uploaded it. However, the scenario itself, from Silliman's report to the Panic of 1873 to the Spindletop era... that was all me, JohnT.

It is a challenging scenario and much of the information came from two sources: "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin and "Titan" by Ron Chernow. While a number of the scenario mechanisms weren't perfect, I tried to make the game as historically accurate and compelling as possible. I wasn't too sure that the conditions could be won w/o cheating at first, but I did win the Gold on the easiest settings, so figured "***" and uploaded it.

I just d/l RRT3 on Steam and decided to look for this one - it's been about 5, 6 computers since I first developed the scenario and wasn't too sure if I could find it - thanks, Hawk and Badger!

Again, thanks for the compliments everybody! Now... off to download the scenario I created! ;)
RulerofRails
CEO

It's good you dropped by. Nice to know some more info about your map. I admit I haven't played it, but I will definitely check it out shortly. There have been some new developments to the game in the last 10 years such as the 1.06 patch and Trainmaster. Also some excellent new scenarios have been made by dedicated fans. Hope you have fun re-discovering the game and enjoy the new content available here. :-)

For interest sake, a quick search brings up this thread which seems to indicate that Pennsylvania Revisited is simply a re-paint of your map with the color problem fixed. Can you confirm this?

BTW, It is pretty obvious the colors are wrecked in the version Hawk has in the archives.
JohnT
Cat

Yes, that's the same map. Somehow the colors got messed up and I don't know how that happened. I noticed that somebody mentioned "funky colors" in the Gathering posts in the OP, so it happened relatively soon after I uploaded it. It could have been me, but I don't remember messing with the color palette.

However, one of the paragraphs says the following:
as far as enjoyment of playing the scenario give it a 9 easy, a lot of logos and rr names i haven't seen since i was a kid. i pass by conway yards at least 4 times a week since i was born, and it is nothing like it was years ago with the amount of trains being switched and sorted, but it is getting busier and a lot more rail cars there now since the fuel prices have gone up. i miss all the different rail companies names but still see them occasionally in an old train yard at a steel mill or other industry.
I don't know what they mean by "logos and railroads" as I didn't modify any of those... didn't know they could be modified, to tell the truth.

I'd like to play the scenario again on Steam, but am still trying to figure out where to place the map so it shows on the "New Scenarios" list.
RulerofRails
CEO

You need to find the folder on your computer where the game installed. Probably Program Files if you didn't manually specify otherwise. (If you are running a modern operating system Program Files is not recommended as Windows File Permissions can affect your game especially if you use some of the mods.) Then manually place your map into the sub-folder entitled "maps".

In the Xtras section on the main site there are heaps of new logos available. Maybe the guy who did the painting decided to pop in some cool new logos as well. **!!!**
JohnT
Cat

Thanks.

For those using Steam in a Wintel system, you can find the map locations here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Railroad Tycoon 3\maps
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:For interest sake, a quick search brings up this thread which seems to indicate that Pennsylvania Revisited is simply a re-paint of your map with the color problem fixed. Can you confirm this?
Since Pennsylvania Revisited was basically a color fix, I have deleted the original Pennsylvania 1855-1901 from the archives and renamed Pennsylvania Revisited to Pennsylvania 1855-1901

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... _1855-1901
Hawk