Hawaii

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
BikerTim
Brakeman

Hawaii Unread post

Have any of you tried that Hawaii scenario that centers around Hilo, that starts right after WWII, with Hilo getting belted twice by tsunamis? This has proven to be a hard scenario. I can always meet the CBV and industry profit requirements. But PNW has been next to impossible. I can seldom get even half of the $10 million needed for bronze. Any suggestions? :?:
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
Sugus
Engineer

Re: Hawaii Unread post

There are two scenarios concerning Hawaii:

- Hawaii by Steve Lozenz (Mobius), which is a great map
- Hawaii by Semmy (?), which is horrible one (neverending earthquakes etc.)

And due to your CBV problem, I think you're talking about the 'horrible' one. It's nearly impossible to complete the 'original'. So, take the map into the editor and disable any earthquakes (you have to scan the event effects). Thereafter, you're able to get a medal, but - from my point of view (because I've done it) - the map isn't worth this effort. Better play Mobius' version!
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Where is the map by Semmy? It's not in the archives here.
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

I'll send it to you soon ...
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I forgot to post back on this. I did find Semmy's Hawaii at The Terminal, then I dug further and found it on my hard drive. :mrgreen:

I did get the two versions you sent though. English and German.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

I've got 3 Hawaii zips. My recollection is that one is version 2 of the earthquake one and it made it less of a stinker but I may be wrong - I do know one was an excellent challenging scenario which was presumably the Mobius one but when there were relatively few maps I used to keep notes on them and its possible that it was the other as I noted that I went into Editor and turned earthquakes off (wouldn't know how to do it today as its so long since I created a scenario) - whilst I'd obviously have to save it I wouldn't have thought I'd have done it as a zip (unless I sent it off to the Terminal). However I've labelled them H, H1 and Hnew so presumably Hnew is the second scenario and H1 the repaired first.

If thats the case I must have got Gold on Expert (after amending) as thats what I was making notes about - I suppose I could unzip and give it another try. Do you want me to have a look at H2 and send it you Hawk?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

There's only one at The Terminal. It's Semmy's dated 11/30/03
If you have an updated version of that one I could at it to the archives here. Since Semmy's original (presumably) version is still at The Terminal I won't add it here, but I will add an updated version.
If it's an update to Mobius' I could add that also.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Sorry - looks as though two of these are Mobius' and look to be identical. The other still shakes. If I can work out how to correct will send as I know that without the earthquakes it was quite nice.
belbincolne
Engineer

Hawk - I've sent a pm with zip but not sure if its gone as although it says "sent" its in the outbox not the sent items folder. If it hasn't gone can you let me know how to get it sent as I cant figure it out :-? :oops:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I got it.

PM's stay in the Outbox until the recipient reads them. Then they go in the Sent Items folder. That way you know weather or not they've been read. It also gives you the opportunity to edit them, if they're still in the Outbox.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Thanks Hawk.

Back to the opening post. I think Tim that you are playing the "good" scenario i.e. Mobious'. This has only one island and there are early catastrophes. The other is also (in my opinion) also a good one once you go into the Editor and remove earthquakes when it plays well although its (a) very crowded and (b) very hilly so 8 car trains run very slowly. It has 8 islands that you have to connect. If Hawk publishes (sans earthquakes) you can have a go at that one.

So far I've concentrated on that one so I've no advice on Ms but will give it a go and post later.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I may be looking at this wrong but it seems to me that once you connect 7 territories you get the Bronze, in which case the game's over with no chance for Silver or Gold.
All 3 set to check monthly (Bronze is set to test against all companies and there's 10 players set up, 'course the 9 AI players are all set to optional)

Bronze
Bronze.jpg
Bronze.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
Silver
Silver.jpg
Silver.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Gold
Gold.jpg
Gold.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I made some changes to this map in regards to the events mentioned in my previous post (all conditions not mentioned below remain unchanged).

Bronze Was:
Years Elapsed since game start<=70 years
Test against all players
Test weekly

Bronze Changed to:
Years Elapsed since game start>=40 years
Test against human player
Test yearly
Silver Was:
Test weekly

Silver Changed to:
Test yearly
Gold Was:
Years Elapsed since game start<=20
Test weekly

Gold Changed to:
Deleted the Years Elapsed condition
Test monthly
Lose Was:
Years Elapsed since game start<=70

Lose Changed to:
Years Elapsed since game start>=40
Deleted the heavy earthquake and storm events.
Changed light earthquake to test yearly instead of weekly (or monthly - I can't remember now)

The edited map is attached here for anyone interested in testing the changes. I would but I don't have the time right now.

Edit 1: More editing has been done and a new version is in a post on page 2 of this thread.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

I've tested and works correctly. I played in RT6 as wouldn't work for me in RT3. Its also very interesting to play it with and without AIs (you can have up to 10) - I got gold (only on Normal as I was testing) both solo and with the ten. Solo was some 8 years early but with AIs only a couple.

Now to have a go at Mobius' map (i.e. only 1 island)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I just tried it in 1.05 and it opened fine for me. Must be something strange about your 1.05 install Belbi. **!!!**

I also realized that I need to change the briefing after making the medal changes.

Edit 1: I just noticed something about this map. There's 9 islands but only 6 have cities on them. The medals all require you to connect to 8 islands but why?

Edit 2: Is it possible to attain Gold in 20 years on this map?
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

I got Gold (on Normal) in about 12 years! :-D

The 9th island is I assume the tiny dot out to the west - its too small to land a bridge on although I didn't try building a small station on it and then connecting the other way.

Boy I'm struggling with Mobius' map :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Maybe the 40 years for Silver and Bronze is a bit much then. Maybe I should change that to 20.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

I would think thats reasonable CBV was always last (years afterwards) although I was on N not Expert.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

So leave it at 40?
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

No - make whole scenario 20 years if thats not too much trouble. I think even on Expert everyone should still win a medal.