Galicia, map to test

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
brunom
Dispatcher

Galicia, map to test Unread post

I hardly ever sleep wondering about new scenarios and events to keep you guys busy. :lol: ...

In exchange, I know there is always someone willing to have a go at a new map. {,0,}

So, without further ado, I present yet another draft of a future scenario for the archives.

As it is, the land got its first buckets of paint, the cities and rivers were plotted (though the rivers ain't tuned yet), the economy prepared and the main goals and events behind the scenario drafted.

The only events programmed are designed to keep the tester in tune with what will be asked of him in the working version. Other than that, this is pretty much open land to fiddle about. I also publish this at such an early stage because I don't know if I will be able to develop it much in the near future. And if I can't, it would be a shame to loose a half-completed job (though "half" maybe pushing it a bit)

Sooo..., I humbly attach this file. Have a look, please, and report your dealings with it. Any sort of input is welcome, as always. !$th_u$!
Yours
B

This map is now available in the archives: linkGalicia 1870
Last edited by brunom on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Galicia, map to test Unread post

You really need to work on the way you title topics you start. ^**lylgh

I changed the title of this one after I got an email from someone saying they couldn't find the map. :mrgreen:
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Hi Brunon. Played it through. Appreciate that as its in early stage you'd be correcting some items anyway and apologise that my comments all seem negative but the scenario certainly has some good ideas - and didn't seem to be as hard to earn money as you'd suggested but found only railroading paid off and whilst Industry wasn't unprofitable it didnt give a good return.

Firstly you haven't done an Almanac yet which makes taking notes and re-refering to the objectives annoyingly essential. Early on there were rewards for making connections. You need Newspaper items when completed as well as noting in Almanac - I connected both early and dont think I got the rewards but cant really be certain as I dont know whether I should have got the cash immediately or at the end of the period.

You say conquer Asturias - but no specific town whilst you do name two towns in Portugal. Unfortunately in my game the economy was in decline for the last 5 years - and my earliest bonds had to be repaid so my cash became zero - and my credit rating CCC. Have you lowered credit status because it shouldn't have been that bad? Hence hadn't enough cash to buy into either of last two territories but I could connect one town - Santo Tirso - from outside Asturias. However you also haven't fired up the win conditions. I played on for two years after stated date with no medals or loss coming up so I dont know if the Gold and Silver medals are set properly. Obviously I should have only got Bronze but it needs to be clearer what has to be done for Silver i.e. name a town which has to be connected.

I should have been able to get Silver but Gold seemed hopeless - I think the entry costs into other areas needs reducing somewhat. I also think that the early connections requirements need to be clearer - may just be me but I dont like connect to either a or b - I think programming for either/or may be difficult to get right as in Sao Miguel I failed to be rewarded when I'd connected only one of the towns. Here I'd connected them all.

Will try again when I've seen other comments or a Version2 is ready.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well, Bel got farther then me, which not that unual.
Any way my initial start was a Vilegareia with cnn to Pontevedra. I was 1/2 way to O Porrino after taking a 11% bond, when a notice indicated that a cnn to Santiago was a requirement by 1873, or a system would kick in an AI. So I had to initiate a 11% bond, and was able to make the cnn, but then I was stuck with a CCC, and an economy or Normal. With a Normal economy I was able to get an appreciative revenue to get my rating to a B. Then another notice. This time it was the same penalty, and a requirement to cnn to A Cornua via Ordes by 1880. Barely made it and then the economy went down hill to a Depression, taking a few years to get back to a Boom. And thereby I was able to get the bonds paid during the better economy, and a 5% rating. But a new challenge. Make the cnn to Ponferrada in the Castillo & Leon terr by 1893. Now that takes $5-6M of track, and a $6M access fee. I don't believe that possible. So not even a Bronze was able.

So seeing that Bel was able to get at least to this point of play, I will just wait for the V2, to see what changes will be made, fromt he comments and suggestion given. The scenario has good potential in it challenges. Now seeing that it is only the 1st test, I don't know if intended, but I did not get any indicators on the Status Page. It is evident that there is an amount of talent in the creation of imagination, and I am looking forward to giving it another attempt.
{,0,} !*th_up*!
brunom
Dispatcher

Thanks Ray and Belb,

Having people playtesting my maps the week they come out really pushes me to complete them to some sort of good standard. Or at least, I aim at keeping a standard.

And because of that, I wanted to share a full working version, before I plunge deep into the boredom of painting the map.

Everything is supposed to work fine in this version - win conditions, messages, ledger, etc. I have played it only twice though, so there might be a glitch or two. If you spot anything at all, report as usual, you know I appreciate it a lot.

Many thanks and enjoy
B

--- EDIT: ATTACHMENT REMOVED ---
Last edited by brunom on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belbincolne
Engineer

Quickie. Played again on Normal and correctly got Silver. Gold very hard - had $6m in bonds available but no cash so although I was on the Portugese border in both the necessary places I couldn't get to the two towns needed for Gold.

Mostly the scenario is now fine. Just a couple of things.
1. When the Vilagarcia - Santiago connection comes up the Almanac isnt clear - says connect 3 cities not these two
2. The Almanac doesn't confirm when you meet the requirement for connecting to Cudillero (did - plus Newspaper when I completed the six towns).

Now an even nicer scenario :-D :-D
Moggie
Conductor

1.05 or 1.06?
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

So, why am I able to play Galicaia created in the 1.05 patch, when I am able to play it with a 1.06 patch? **!!!**
To this point, when a scenario was indicated to be a 1.05 patch, I just put it into a 1.05 map folder for a later day. *!*!*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

1.05 maps will play in 1.06. Just possibly not as intended.
1.06 maps will not play in 1.05.

That's why some of us have multiple installs of RT3.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Hawk wrote:1.05 maps will play in 1.06. Just possibly not as intended.
1.06 maps will not play in 1.05.

That's why some of us have multiple installs of RT3.
Learning something new every day. OR, being my age is was something which I had learned and with a lapse of memory, forgot that I had already learned it. LOL

But thanks Hawk. :salute:
belbincolne
Engineer

But interestingly this one plays (for me) in 06 but not in 05 :shock: :-? :-x :-D :-D :-D Hope you all had a Happy Christmas and will have a great New Year
Moggie
Conductor

I tried this a couple of times but ballsed it up royally :cry: . Maybe I just need to find the right cities to start with...
Moggie
Hawk
The Big Dawg

belbincolne wrote:But interestingly this one plays (for me) in 06 but not in 05
That's strange. It loaded fine for me in 1.05. **!!!**
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Howdy all

This is indeed a 1.05 map. I have long decided to strictly create 1.05 maps - as I have a big to huge problem with people hauling at a loss.
That among other issues with 1.06 keep me to 1.05. My only sorrow is that I can't program placing warehouses and ports in the middle of a game, but... I digress.

It loads fine in my 1.05 installment, but then again, that's its "hometown".

Moggie: I have tried a few different starts some with more success than others - but in case of doubt, just follow the historical hints. Because raw materials production is cut by around 60% to 80%, depending on the cargo, most industries are not sufficiently profitable for an industry start.

Belb:
belbincolne wrote: 1. When the Vilagarcia - Santiago connection comes up the Almanac isnt clear - says connect 3 cities not these two
2. The Almanac doesn't confirm when you meet the requirement for connecting to Cudillero (did - plus Newspaper when I completed the six towns).
Villagarcia - Santiago is the historical hint, but I didn't want to force the player to start here. That's why any 3 cities will do, I have altered the text slightly to make this more clear. The ledger was giving credit to linking up to Cudillero, but the newspaper event was directed wrongly - thanks for pointing it out, it is fixed now in the upcoming release version.
Indeed the Gold is difficult, but possible (I achieved it and I ain't so good). It takes more than one go at the scenario I guess, or a lot of planning.

There was another error in programming - failing to connect to Ponferrada on time was making all territories 4x more expensive and not just Leon. It was fixed as well.
Will give this one a couple more weeks, just to make sure no detail is left uncovered, and then off to the next one.

BTW, I normally add some paint and the trees before the final release, but I am unsure in this case about more painting. Does the terrain coloring look right already? !*th_dwn*! !*th_up*!

Hope you had a nice one and wishes of a good year!
B
Moggie
Conductor

brunom wrote:Howdy all

BTW, I normally add some paint and the trees before the final release, but I am unsure in this case about more painting. Does the terrain coloring look right already? !*th_dwn*! !*th_up*!
At least I could well direct my routes through lower parts of the scenery with the colors as clues. !*th_up*!
Moggie
Moggie
Conductor

Got bronze :-) . It seems I found the right place to start or at least one of the better ones. I was overzealous to get the link to Castille and Leon ready and borrowed so much that I didn't have resources to make the Asturias link. Time wouldn't have been an issue. Also, when the link to C&L was ready, the message said something about connecting to Asturias :shock: . A slight bug there?
Moggie
Moggie
Conductor

Got gold with a couple of years to spare. Controlled borrowing and a nice infusion of cash every year from a successful industry did the trick. Dunno if I had any particular strategy **!!!** , but I did try to run tracks through valleys and avoid long climbs. The available locos aren't really meant for long _and_ hilly tracks. Of course the yellow monster, whose name escapes me now, doesn't care how many cars it pulls or how steep the hill is. But with its top speed it's not a long haul loco.
Moggie
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well not knowing the terrain of Glacia, Spain, etc , I cannot make a suggestion or criticism, but probably more trees and other scenery would be more natural.

Basically I constantly use the "G" key to help identify the levels of terrain, and in this scenario, I used as many valleys as possible, but did not relinquish hills.

To compensate hills, I strictly used the DX Goods 0-6-0, until the Vitorio Emanuele II 4-6-0 came into availability.
The Duke and the Sterling have more speed, but do not have the power for the inclines.

Unlike my 1st attempt, I was able to get the Gold with a few years to spare. I did run into some Depressions which dragged down the Stock Purchase Power, but did not invest in any industry. There were intrmittent crashes, which totaled at least 6, cutting into the hauling profits, but had good commodity hauls during the Prosperty economy, and only had a couple Booming periods.

Although I don't really like to navigate thru mountainous terrains, the terrain of this scenario was durable, and there were enough valleys to compensate, even though some track routes were some what longer.

A great scenaio, and enjoyed the concept and challenges. :salute: !*th_up*!
belbincolne
Engineer

Now that I've worked out how to play appropriate scenarios in 1.05 I've tried this one - two tries and so far it was easier in 1.06 :-( :shock: :evil: