Age of Steam III - Big Valley For Your Review

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
wsherrick
Engineer

Age of Steam III - Big Valley For Your Review Unread post

I just sent a new scenario to Hawk for posting. It's called "Big Valley." I'm kind of nervous about it because it is the first map I have totally made from scratch. I lowered the rivers in it so in most cases you can build bridges without those massive ramps. You might have to search a little to get the right spots to cross the rivers, but they are there. This map is sort of personal since I am from Tennessee originally and my first experiences as a steam locomotive fireman, etc. was on the Southern Railroad when I worked on the once famous Southern Steam Program. Trust me I've shoveled a lot of coal between many of these towns and cities. I designed this scenario to be somewhat simple and straight forward. I saved it in the 1.05a patch so everyone can use it. Well, I've said enough except to give Wolverine my heart felt thanks for testing it for us.
milo
Engineer

Unread post

That was from scratch? Wow... nice job!

High points:
  • "Big Valley" contains terrific event descriptions, along with a good monologue on what it was like to come up through the ranks as a railroad worker. One of the best educational scenarios I've seen.
  • Railroad handling during WWI works much better than in scenarios where your company is simply handed over to the AI gummint.
  • Choice of rail allocation is actually quite strategic, and may well vary depending on how you play the game. Do you need speed? Do you need distance? Usually I get impatient with limited track allocation scenarios, but this one was fascinating.
Minor issues:
  • I merged a badly ailing competitor and gained access to Tennessee and the two other starting states fairly early in the game. Unfortunately the scenario didn't recognize that and charged me $2M for rights I already had later on.
  • When Senator Hull's connection request came up, I had no chance to finish it in time. This doesn't seem to block achieving the Gold, so not serious, but I was worried for a while.
  • Human player starts with $100K more than AI competitors do.
  • (trivial)Status report formatting isn't quite right. Might need to insert some carriage returns with ctrl-enter, rather than trying to whitespace the thing just right.
  • (trivial) Dialogs don't pick up player or company name change.
  • (trivial) Event 36 looks as if it started out as the rail choice event and was converted to a newspaper event. 1.06 gets confused on this and dumps out the original choices as newspaper title, price, and tertiary headline. Might want to clear out the fields.
I like it. About the only suggestion I'd make would be to spread the education more evenly across the scenario - maybe post one chapter every few months, rather than compressing the entire fireman/engineer lesson into one set of dialogs. Take a look at Wolverine's wonderful Michigan scenario for some good ideas on this.

Evil idea: also offer an invention or two that didn't work so well, such as duplex locomotives or steam turbines.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Thanks Milo for the kind review. I had several issues when designing this scenario, so there were several drastic changes I had to make in it. One was how to create the WWI URSA experience in a unique way. At first I had it set where you only got a few locomotives plus track control to represent the Government meddling in private affairs. But, as all are aware serious issues came up with locomotive availability when you got your railroad back after the war. I had to scrap it and start over. Originally there were no track limitations, but I wanted to control how large the AIs could grow and the WWI event so I had to think of a way to make the track limitations a proactive part of the game.

The AIs in this game originally were quite strong and greedy, but when I changed the industry buying conditions they couldn't get the industry income they needed to become rapidly solvent. In a future revison I will probably take out the AI's because they are not really germaine to the gameplay and as you pointed out-screw up the sequence of territory events. The game is probably best enjoyed without selecting AI players in my opinion.

I feel you are also correct in your suggestion that the dialog events should be spread out a little. My original thought was to make sure everyone got to read them because of those miraculous players who can win gold before the senario is half over.
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Well I've tried this twice and can only echo Milo's comments on history etc. I couldn't get anywhere near a medal either time although first try (on Normal) knowing the crash would come I made sure Company and I were cash rich and between us we bought all the stock so I was 100% owner - I'm never sure if this is a good thing from the price viewpoint but as neither time did I add any AIs there was no-one else to buy anyway.

Last 3 years economy improved dramatically so I had more money than I knew what to do with - as I had in the boom before 29. I spent most of this on industry (not very profitable) because I was waiting for the rights to other states - it wasn't until the last year that I realised that you could buy them!

So second try thought I'd see what it was like on Expert. Also started in a different state. Both equally o/k (will try third next time, if seeding for it looks reasonable) although quite unnecessarily I chose 100% track to start then switched to 110% (stupidly because that was when I needed more than I had). Clearly if you start in a big state you need 100% from the outset cos that was a real problem on first try. If you start in a small then 110% would give you enough track.

There didn't seem to be much difference in game play to start with but when it came to the boom there certainly was. On normal most trains were making about $500k p a with one on $1m. On Expert $300k was about top, and most trains were in the $200k bracket. Then came the bust. On Normal I kept running just about in the black on Expert I was $9m in the red before the recovery and it wasn't until 1936 that I was back in the black - far too late to get me anywhere near Bronze.

Shall try again soon and concentrate less on PNW (no share but backs?). Anyway hugely enjoyable scenario. :D :D :D
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Well had my third try - on Hard - start Arkansas (Easy was Kentucky, Expert Virginia) and my best result yet - but still 3 years short of Bronze! Didn't get offered another state until 1910 by which time I'd already bought into another two. One snag was that just before the crash I'd finally connected every town in every state and had some $5m cash (also had enough personal money to buy all the remaining 125,000 shares) so there was very little left to do when the crash was over and your directors always hate you if you aren't building railroads. This time I also went $12m into the red but it only took two years to recover once the boom re-arrived. Must try something else now :) :) :)
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

It was my desire to design this game for new players and to be enjoyable for advanced players as well. There are several events that only kick in when the game is played on expert. I didn't want this to be a gut buster like Green Diamond. So you will find a difference between medium and expert, but for an advanced player Big Valley shouldn't be that hard. I also, wanted the map to be scenic as well, for those who like to ride the trains all over their railroads.
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

I chose Kentucky and medium rail, built from Paducah to Benton and Eddyville and was able to afford one loco (an 8-wheeler I think). The second year I connected to Cadiz but could not afford another loco. There was no cargo to buy industries, no passengers... I ended the second year $150k in the hole with a prosperous economy, clearly headed for a death spiral.

What am I missing here?

There are serious alignment problems in the ledger, probably caused by the ledger wanting to center every line including leading spaces. This should be quick and easy to fix.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I am going to fix the ledger. Before you pick your territory, you should check out the economic seeding. Another thing is to look at the various warehouses across the map, such as Bristol, VA and Helena, Ark. These are good producers of freight. If you are in trouble play through the end of 1903 and you should be fine.
Orange46
Dispatcher

Unread post

That was a great crash in a fun scenario. One year, I'm making $11 million and the next I'm $4+ in the hole! Unfortunatelly, I read the above posts so I knew the crash was coming, but I thought that it would be just a normal RRT crash - profits down, but still some profits. In NA thru the Ages I struggled to get the crash right, but this blows mine away.

I started in Virginia on expert and Kentucky came just as I was ready for it. I used the cheapest rail through out, and only regretted it at the end when I had nothing else to build and too high maintenance. However, I did restart the game several times, because I wanted that mail contract. On my 3rd? attempt, I didn't run an express for 2 years - I was just waiting for a load to run downhill on the route that had no services on it and it took over 2 years for a load to arrive. Then, because of my cheap american rail, I fell 1 mph short. Arghh. But, just like the spider, I hung in there, went back up the hill empty, and tried again. On the 2nd or 3rd run I finally got the contract. Now, what to do. Try to maintain the contract, or go for all the express I can carry? Oh well, the scenario was begging me to keep the contract (I read about the mail race on my first attempt), so I decided to run short express trains and see how it went. On my very first play, I had built all services on sidings, but I realized that it would be a pain to do this for all future routes (I did that once in a Chunnel scenario and it was fun watching the trains service themselves, but the map was smaller and it was a pain sending all the freights to get service.) But, since I hadn't got the mail contract, I restarted that first try shortly after getting into Kentucky.

Despite passing on the Pacific, I was able to maintain 36 mph until late in the game, and then got up to 37 with all of the new engines. The routes were scenic and most were fun to build, although I had trouble finding a place to cross one of the rivers in western Tenn. But, for a long time, I wasn't sure that I would even get a Bronze. Maybe I passed up too much express income by maintaining speed, or maybe not. I have never run a test to see if running short fast trains yields more or less than carrying everything you can haul, including using mixed freights. Normally, I just try to carry everything and build hotels to make up for the low yield passengers.

After the depression, I thought that I was going to have to settle for a Bronze, as I reached what I thought was the last year $10 million short, but no, I got to play out that last year and made silver with $4 million to spare. Gold - I have no idea what I would do differently to get that. Maybe go for better track earlier or forget about speed after getting the original contract. I played with the default competitors- zero. Maybe that's a possiblity.

:D
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Thanks Orange for your input. I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Getting the mail contract is easier if you wait a few years until you get some technological options for your choo-choos. The key is to get a super high average for the first several years thus keeping your average up over time. By the way, I just sent a revised version of the map to Hawk. It is not much different except that there are no AI players, there are more trees to pretty it up. I did a lot of earth moving along the banks of the Mississippi River to make bridge building even better. I HOPEFULLY fixed the ledger page to look better and finally, I divided the informative dialogs up a little to spread it out according to Milo's suggestion. The game play and events are the same.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

The new version is now available in the usual place. :D
Hawk
JayEff
Conductor

Re: Big Valley For Your Review Unread post

Very nice map, wsherrick! I am finally catching up. It played decently on 1.06. Just one problem: I earned gold expert in November 1935 but only silver triggered. CBV was 205 million and PNW was $192 million. I had a look at the coding and it looks right, so I am mystified.

BTW I started in Virginia and went for quality all the way. I took the southern route.
wsherrick
Engineer

Thank you for your nice comments, JayEff. !$th_u$! I also hope you enjoyed the information dialogs as well. I wonder if 1.06 does something to mess with the Gold Medal trigger? I will play it again to check it out. Your route was the original route that the Southern Railway took from Bristol, Knoxville, via Chattanooga to Memphis. It was a little bit longer, but the Southern avoided the tough mountainous terrain of Tennessee.
JayEff
Conductor

Don't lose sleep over it Unread post

Don't fret too much. The coding looks right to me. My computer does some strange things lately. :-?

BTW, with 3 starting points and 3 possible routes, there are 9 variants here. That is great for replay value. You have the north (via Kentucky) and the south side of the north river, or following the south river. !**yaaa
Gandar
Brakeman

I am really enjoying these age of steam scenarios and the history and railroading tips were particularly good in this one. I must say that the skills for driving driving a steam train are far greater than I realised. I take my hat off to you .
I had a good time with this one, I tried going from Arkansas first and concentrated on industry but I was out of luck as far as medals went, so I went for Virginia and track and then I bought Industry, and because I knew what was coming, I didn't waste any track for a few years and so I was able to connect for the senator and gain 5m, then I expanded as much rail as possible. I was getting set to sell my shares so I could buy them back cheaply after the 29 crash but the economy took a nose dive in 25 and I was already in a market crash when the crash arrived I did squeak a gold win but it was by the skin of my teeth. All in all a another great scenario. I'm undecided whether to have another try from the third starting point or to try AOS Blue Streak.
I liked the way you had the information tidbits laid out, the first time through I read them all, the second time I just clicked ok and carried on with the game, it was nice to have the choice.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
wsherrick
Engineer

Did you buy the liability insurance? It's generally a good idea. I'm really glad you liked the information dialogs. You might not believe it but it's a challenge to reduce tons of information into something that is condensed and easily understood. Blue Streak also has a lot of technical info but you have a choice to read them or not. I always hope a player will play a scenario more than one time so I attempt to make the scenarios fun enough with the hopes that player will read the extra content as well.
Gandar
Brakeman

wsherrick wrote:Re: Big Valley For Your Review

Post by wsherrick on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:54 am
Did you buy the liability insurance? It's generally a good idea. I'm really glad you liked the information dialogs. You might not believe it but it's a challenge to reduce tons of information into something that is condensed and easily understood. Blue Streak also has a lot of technical info but you have a choice to read them or not. I always hope a player will play a scenario more than one time so I attempt to make the scenarios fun enough with the hopes that player will read the extra content as well.

Oh I bought insurance but to be honest at that time I could afford it and 2M wasn't too much of a stretch for me, I thought that you should have had a disaster as a random occurrence, it could put pressure on, and make or break getting gold.
I'm glad you took the time to condense the informational tidbits I can just imagine how big the manual is for an engineer, I thought subway manuals were a pain in the butt but I can only Imagine a steam loco manual. You got the message across that there is a whole lot more to operating a locomotive than pulling the whistle cord.
I do like to replay scenarios that I enjoy, I set myself goals within the scenario or approach it in a different way to see if I can make gold faster. So far I rate the Big Valley as the best of your Age of Steam, but likes and dislikes are very personal and of course I have yet to play Blue Streak, I did have a quick look at the map to see if I could meet the goals without using the ports but I didn't think it was possible, so I took a break from AOS and got frustrated with Zany Baffania instead, [ I felt I had to support the Canadian cadre of mapmakers].
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
nedfumpkin
CEO

I managed to reinstall everything and get it back working so I'm back into this scenario. I really enjoy playing this scenario, and here's how I set things up....any time there is a pnw goal I always go for the stock as early as possible in the game. I intentionally set up the company so that it will lose money and the price of stock drop so I can snatch it all up. So that's what I've done here.

When I start the scenario at February, I grab a bond and I plop a paper mill right on top of the logging camp near Forrest City that seems to always come up. Paper mills need at least two logging camps to be profitable if you transport the pulp, but if you only have one, sticking the paper mill right on top of it will give you about 100k of profit per year. This will at least cover the interest on bonds.

Next I ran a line of 110 pound rail from Forrest to Helena. One thing about this scenario is the speed requirement, so in those scenarios, I like to put the water towers and maintenance sheds behind stations and on spurs with orders for regular maintenance. Since nothing will come through the back of these stations, I just extend the track. I put the water tower at the end of the line and the shed in between. Because of this, train runs have to be set up so that they don't run out of water before getting to the next station, or long freight routes are exclusive to freight. Track design is half the fun here.

With the money left over, I can get two medium stations and two water towers on a line that is well designed for fast express. The only engine affordable after that is is the Shay and I set it up to only haul freight. As soon as I have 100k, I put a maintenance shed in, and then I sit and wait. As soon as I can get a bond I upgrade the two stations to large stations, and then I buy an 8 Wheeler that I set up for carrying 3 express cars, but I leave it sit empty at a water tower.

Then I go into the red and I wait until my stock drops, but I don't buy any until 1903. At that point my stock is in th 25 dollar range, and I let loose my 8 Wheeler on priority. Over 1903 I buy as much stock as I can always trying to get it as cheap as possible. By December I am maxed out with 12k shares. I get the 2 million for express at about 50+ mph for express, and I also take the 2 million offered to me. Yeah, sure so I'm a carpet bagger. :) Refinance my bonds and borrow to the max. Now I am sitting on 5300k in cash, stock split and 16,000 are out there at 74 and I can get it all for under a million.

So I have saved it there, and now I am going to try different approaches with different industries.
ostlandr
Brakeman

Having fun with this one, but medals are a BIG chunk to bite off.
Only thing I noticed was that the Senator's request didn't show up in the ledger, and having had to save to go to dinner, I forgot which cities I had to connect!

Start was in Kentucky, on Medium. Started out with 110 lb rail, laid a line to bring coal and iron to a steel mill, and managed to hit a sheep farm on the way for some extra revenue. Started out with one 0-6-0 Camelback hauling only freight. Yeah, you go in the red on this one, and it's touch and go. I was right on the brink when I got a $2M grant. That let me expand to the two nearest cities and add a couple branch lines. Yeah, I did plan for service tracks in this one. Took all my cash to buy the Pacific when it was offered, but it was worth it. Spreading out into Tenessee at the moment. I "cheated" by finding resources right along the Tennessee border, then building a large station on the Kentucky side to grab them. I have slow local freights on low priority hitting all the farms and mines, fast freights on normal shuttling between major cities, and crack passenger trains at over 100 mph speeds. :-D
I'm actually running "super express " passenger trains between major cities with an eight wheeler, two passenger coaches and a dining car. The Pacifics handle the local runs with passengers and mail. I'm actually picking locomotives based on the line and the traffic- have a couple of Atlantics in freight service on long runs with low grades where the traffic doesn't warrant a Pacific. Just started geting H10 Mikes, and have set up some unit trains of coal, etc.
Ah, who needs a stinkin' medal? I got a railroad to run!

Thanks again for these wonderful scenarios! !$th_u$!
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
wsherrick
Engineer

The connection goal is between Knoxville and Memphis, you have to do it before 1917 ends. I am amazed at the different ways people play the same scenario. Posting what you like about any given scenario and how it is played is extrememly helpful to all scenario creators. I have learned so much from all of you who post here and all the information gets processed to make the next one. Running the railroad is the most fun for me and I hope that has been instilled into each scenario. Everything has to have a reason for it, even having AI's in the game. The end goals aren't really the main point but how you get there is what makes the game for me. :-D

BTW: Beware of the,"Star Of Dixie Express."